What is a ripperologist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a ripperologist?

What do people think is meant by the term "ripperologist" and, depending on the chosen definition, how many are there worldwide?

Best wishes,
    Steve.

try this

Hello Steven. Interesting question.

How about someone who has published a book or essay on "Jack the Ripper" and who occasionally researches that topic?

How many? Fewer that 50, I should think.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

I agree with Lynn's definition. Since there is no degree or certification involved, it is probably best to base it upon published work.
      "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Hello Steven. Interesting question.

How about someone who has published a book or essay on "Jack the Ripper" and who occasionally researches that topic?

How many? Fewer that 50, I should think.

Cheers.
        LC
        Hello Lynn

I would go along with this definition but "Fewer that 50" is a serious underestimate for the number of Ripperologists worldwide, Lynn!!!

Think about it: fifty persons would be an average or low number at a Jack the Ripper conference and that's not counting all the people who would like to attend that particular event and cannot, and all the people registered on "Casebook: Jack the Ripper" and on other English language and foreign language Jack the Ripper sites, and there are quite a number of them.

We might broaden the definition to make it anyone who has taken a serious interest in the case, enough to read more than one book on the case, to write something about the case, even if only on the message boards, and to debate the ins and outs of the case.

Best regards

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

precising

Hello Steely. Thanks. I should have added "in a major journal" to the essay portion.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

they?

Hello Chris. I'm not sure that all those attending conference are authors on "JTR."

Message boards? Well, we have some who pop round to ask a single question then disappear.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hello Chris,

I may be wrong here but have an odd notion that the term was first used in a less than complimentary manner? Since then it has become 'acceptable'?
              I cannot remember exactly who first used the epithet and when though.

I agree with your definitions of a 'Ripperologist'.
              A larger number of people rather than a few.

Best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

I don't know who first used the term, but it is certainly preferable to the previous - and unfortunate - "Ripperphile."

Comment

one for the philes

Hello Robert. Agreed. Sounds slightly naughty.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                    Hello Chris,

I may be wrong here but have an odd notion that the term was first used in a less than complimentary manner? Since then it has become 'acceptable'?

Best wishes

Phil
                    Hi Phil

I believe the origin of the term "Ripperologist" has been attibuted to Colin Wilson.

Best regards

Chris
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                      Hello Chris,

Best wishes

Phil
                      It would be interesting to find out if the term were originally not complimentary.

Certainly, I think that there needs to be a term which specifies someone who is a published writer on the subject of Jack the Ripper while lacking the credentials to be considered a "Criminologist" - such as a degree in Criminology, Psychology (with some concentration in Psychopathology), or other related field. Ripperologist seems an appropriate term.

On the other hand, perhaps "Ripper Researcher" would sound less like we were trying to make up a scientific field ;p
                      "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                        We might broaden the definition to make it anyone who has taken a serious interest in the case, enough to read more than one book on the case, to write something about the case, even if only on the message boards, and to debate the ins and outs of the case.
                        I agree with Chris George rather than Lynn here. Publications are not required to qualify as a Ripperologist if one knows his stuff well. A perfect example illustrating this fact is casebook poster Hunter (who, as far as I know, is currently preparing a publication).

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        I don't know who first used the term, but it is certainly preferable to the previous - and unfortunate - "Ripperphile."
                        Ripperphile? Ouch. A dangerous term, prone to severe misunderstandings.
                        Wasn't Robin Odell's meta-analysis volume Ripperology: A study of the world's first serial killer and a literary phenomenon published in 2006? This book will soon be in need of an update, and the title should be changed from “literary phenomenon“ into “a new field“. Like it or not, Ripperology will soon constitute a new field in the Humanities.

There used to be also a very entertaining old casebook thread called “You're a Ripperologist if...“ which contained criteria like
                        - You think SPE is God
                        - You meet someone named Hutchinson and can't refrain from asking about their ancestors
                        - You get in days-long debates about where Hanbury Street 29 was in relation to today
                        - You venomously fight against someone on the boards and in the next Whitechapel conference run to them and hug them like a long lost brother.
                        Gonna look for that old thread!
                        Last edited by mariab; 12-12-2011, 02:03 AM.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Nice one, Maria. Never saw that old thread.

Best wishes,
                          Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                            Hi Phil

I believe the origin of the term "Ripperologist" has been attibuted to Colin Wilson.

Best regards
                            Chris
                            Hello Chris,

Thank you for the reminder, April 1972 if memory serves me correctly. I believe SPE wrote of the origin of both this term and 'Ripperphile' in a dissertation under the heading 'Walking the beat'- again if memory serves.

best wishes

Phil
                            Last edited by Phil Carter; 12-12-2011, 02:56 AM.
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

I think a Ripperologist is someone whose main focus in the true crime field is this case. For that reason, I'm not sure I am one. Some will say for certain that I'm not a Ripperologist.
                              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X