William Henry Hurlbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imagination

Hello Trade. Thanks for posting this. After WHH fled England, he made finding Murray his crusade. The whole story smacks of a fertile imagination. His was.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Ireland under Coercion

Hello All. Here is a link for a free read of Hurlbert's book "Ireland under Coercion."

Cheers.
      LC

Read Ireland Under Coercion, Vol. I online by William Henry Hurlbert at ReadCentral.com, the free online library full of thousands of classic books. Now you can read Ireland Under Coercion, Vol. I free from the comfort of your computer or mobile phone and enjoy other many other free books by William Henry Hurlbert . ReadCentral has helped thousands of people read books online without the need for sign-ups or downloads, simply choose your favorite book or author and read free online.

Read Ireland Under Coercion, Vol. 2 online by William Henry Hurlbert at ReadCentral.com, the free online library full of thousands of classic books. Now you can read Ireland Under Coercion, Vol. 2 free from the comfort of your computer or mobile phone and enjoy other many other free books by William Henry Hurlbert . ReadCentral has helped thousands of people read books online without the need for sign-ups or downloads, simply choose your favorite book or author and read free online.

Comment

Post Evelyn case trial coverage:

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931), 5 June 1891, Page 6

LONDON TABLE TALK.

[From our Special Correspondent] London, May 1,1891.

0n dit that, within 24 hours of the conclusion of the Hurlbert case a gentleman not unconnected with the Government and the Times called on the much injured defendant, and advised him to proceed to the States forthwith and to find Wilfred Murray. "I should go soon," he said, "and if (significantly) you fail to discover the rascal it would be unwise to return." Mr. Hurlbert blustered a bit, and turning up at his clubs as usual, endeavored to carry off the situation with characteristic bravado; but it wouldn't do. The best men cut him, and he retreated mortified. In Friday's papers there appeared a letter which has hit Mr. Hurlbert very hard. It was from the plaintiff, and gave some account of the manner in which the defendant's case was got up. Miss Evelyn, who it seems is a genuine clergyman's daughter (don't smile), complains that it is very hard, because she has not always rigidly resisted man's persuasive voice, "that her oath should be treated as of no account, and herself as the scum of the earth." She states that Hurtbert's defence was an absolute surprise to her counsel, not a word having been said of an alibi in the affidavits. Miss Evelyn says: — "In these affidavits not a word was suggested as to mistaken identity or that the real defendant was Mr. Hurlbert's quondam secretary 'Wilfrid Murray.' On the contrary, Mr. Oakley Hall, who ought surely to know Mr. Hurlbert's writing perfectly, having been in his employ for many years, never mentioned such a person as 'Wilfrid Murray.' But Mr. Oakley Hall went away before the trial, and my subpoena could not be served. From that time detectives were set on my track, who called at my apartments, using insulting language. I removed from one place to another like a hunted animal. For months past I have been on my oath, having had to answer the most minute interrogatories as to dates of promises and intimacy, places of meeting, witnesses, &c. One affidavit after another was sworn to and filed by me, giving the fullest details. Messrs. Lewis obtained an order for discovery of documents, and thus became acquainted with every letter, envelope, seal, diary, and scrap of paper of any kind in my possession relating in any way to the case. Copies of all the letters, 181 in number, were type-written for them at their request, and the French portions, which are considerable, were translated. (These letters were all that remained in my possession, though since my first meeting with Mr. Hurlbert I have received nearly 400 letter's from him). Can any reasonable man suppose that he, the most interested party, knew nothing about this? If he were an idiot, incapable of managing his own affairs, it might believed, but he is a clever man, not at all likely to submit blindly to the advice aud guidance of others. It is most remarkable that his pencilled memoranda in his 'Murray's Guide,' which was never produced till the third or fourth day of trial, could correspond so exactly to the dates I had sworn to months previously, and again unshaken in the witnessbox. Letters were received by my solicitor accusing me of perjury and fraud all with the same intent—that of bringing the utmost pressure in every direction to stop the action. It is very certain that had there been the slightest proof of perjury or fraud on my part they would have been only too glad to proceed at once, and mercilessly, against me. My legal advisors, Mr. W. Newbold and Mr. Reynolds, are men of unassailable honor and perfect straightforwardness. Believing from the first in the honesty and justice of my claim, they remained firm and stanch to the end. The pleadings were so delayed and complicated that the case was prevented being heard last session as it otherwise would have been, but it has been known for months past by all parties concerned that no further delay could be possible, and that the trial most come on early in April. Mr. Lewis served subpoenas nearly three months ago for the witnesses to attend the court on April 7. On my side, owing to the expense involved in such a course, I was unable to have a discovery of documents, or to put Mr. Hurlbert under interrogatory. The defence sprung upon me while in the witnessbox under cross-examination was a totally different one to that made in reply to my statement of claim, and the denial of identify was an absolute surprise to my counsel, solicitor, and myself. I had never seen any of the documents produced before. Mr. Hurlbert, not being bound down by affidavit, interrogatory, and discovery, as I was, could freely introduce from time to time during the trial any paper or letter obtained, no matter how or when, to uphold his case. The fact is, Mr. Hurlbert and his astute lawyers imagined that his vastly superior wealth and influence would beat me out of the field long ere the trial began. With regard to the envelope in my handwriting addressed to Mrs. Hurlbert, I had for gotten, the incident, and had not an opportunity of explaining afterwards. I have never in my life written to that grievously-injured lady, nor, is it so alleged even by the 'chivalrous' Attorney-General. The envelope was addressed by me at Mr. Hurlbert's own request. I always thought, until the early part of 1890 that Mrs. Hurlbert was the aged relative who resided with him, and at whose death he hoped to inherit a fortune."

Comment

Lewis

Hello Trade. Thanks for posting this.

Might I inquire whether the Mr. Lewis mentioned is George Lewis?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hurlbert mentions retaining George Lewis in England Under Coercion. He also says that he had Lewis review portions of his book on Ireland for possible libel.

Comment

Hi Lynn and TN,

No matter in which direction you go, you keep bumping into the same old LVP repertory company.

PHILADELPHIA TIMES Dec 3rd 1888 -

"The [City] detectives had no reason to doubt this story and every effort by advertisements and handbills was made to discover the man who had talked with Catharine Beddowes (sic) a week before the murder and given her five shillings. Up to the present the personality of this man remains shrouded in mystery. The detectives argued that if he was innocent in intent he would at once have come forward, most people will be inclined to agree with them.

"Having got thus far, the detectives had a consultation with George Lewis, the great criminal lawyer, of Ely Place, Holborn. They went to him because it was well known that he had from the first held the theory that the murders were the work of a religious monomaniac, and the slender clue they had picked up seemed to point in that direction. No man has had so wide a criminal experience as George Lewis. He has been in every great murder case for the last twenty years and his father before him enjoyed the largest criminal practice in England. From a careful and exhaustive consideration of the facts laid before him by the city detectives, Mr. Lewis is understood to have deduced the following conclusions:

"Positive-First. That the murders of Elizabeth Stride and Catharine Beddowes (sic) were not committed by one and the same person. Second. That the two or more murderers were acting in collusion and by pre-arrangement.

"Probable-First. That the series of murder have been committed by two or more men whose motive is the checking of prostitution. The unprecedented barbarities practiced on the bodies are perpetrated with the view of terrifying the women of the district into abandoning their mode of life. Second. That the murderers are religious monomaniacs."

Regards,

Simon
              Last edited by Simon Wood; 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM. Reason: Spolling and Gramma
              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

pre arranged

Hello Simon,

I see the comments about "positive" and noted that the writer says that the two murders (Stride and Eddowes were NOT committed by the same hand.

Two things I wonder here...

It raises a startling realisation... That again the US papers seem to be on a far more open track than the British newsapers as the latter were screaming "two victims of same hand" and were being backed by official police comment (or vice versa) and

that there is a game being played here. I wonder if the religious fervour hint can be interpreted as having been written with any inside hints here?. What price Anderson and Monro and their rather exceptional religious followers?

Kindly

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

clear now

Hello Trade. Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

womaniser

Hello Simon. Thanks for posting that.

"No matter in which direction you go, you keep bumping into the same old LVP repertory company"

Precisely. And a good many of them involve what Sir Robert Anderson referred to as, "The Anti-Fenian Conspiracy." (His words--not mine. Odd he should interject the dreaded "C word.")

Do you think it significant that Hurlbert was a KNOWN womaniser?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

hop to it

Hello (again) Simon. I fear I did not do justice to your post.

""The [City] detectives had no reason to doubt this story and every effort by advertisements and handbills was made to discover the man who had talked with Catharine Beddowes (sic) a week before the murder and given her five shillings. Up to the present the personality of this man remains shrouded in mystery. The detectives argued that if he was innocent in intent he would at once have come forward, most people will be inclined to agree with them."

I notice that the City of London detectives did not doubt the story about Kate. I think this significant as it indicates that they, like me, never bought John Kelly's rubbish about hop picking.

After all, how can one be both hop picking in Kent AND receiving money in London at the same time?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Who buys the drinks?

Hello All. In thinking about Kate and the story of the man giving her money, think also about the following question concerning Kate's final afternoon on earth:

Q: Who buys the drinks?

A: Probably NOT Charlie Kane.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends."

Hello All. Snippet is from "The Anglo-American Times" April 29, 1892.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello (again) Simon. I fear I did not do justice to your post.

""The [City] detectives had no reason to doubt this story and every effort by advertisements and handbills was made to discover the man who had talked with Catharine Beddowes (sic) a week before the murder and given her five shillings. Up to the present the personality of this man remains shrouded in mystery. The detectives argued that if he was innocent in intent he would at once have come forward, most people will be inclined to agree with them."

I notice that the City of London detectives did not doubt the story about Kate. I think this significant as it indicates that they, like me, never bought John Kelly's rubbish about hop picking.

After all, how can one be both hop picking in Kent AND receiving money in London at the same time?

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Hello Lyn,

Some will STILL try to tell you that there is absolutely NOTHING unusual or out of the ordinary or even wrong with the Eddowes scenario, no matter how much you put in front of them. All is as we are told, you know- one kiler-5 women- JTR.

Ive said it before and will say it again. What we have been told happened is NOT the truth. The police did an awful job- and my bet is that a few actually knew what happened and helped bodge the whole investigation-Kellys rubbish explanation included which has more holes than a tea strainer from Kearly and Tonges.

Kindly

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

friends in high places

Hello Phil. Thanks.

Yes, the news paper explanation was easy to believe, nothing difficult. It would never do for Hurlbert--an American Tory and Unionist sympathiser--to serve time.

Not the first lad with "friends" in high places.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Hurlburt's exeunt [not pursued by a bear] has a ring of Tumblety about it.

Regards,

Simon
                                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                                X