William Henry Hurlbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• writer

Hello Trade. Thanks. Didn't know he had a book--only poetry.

Incidentally, he kept a clipping with a review of some of his poetry. It was described as "rot."

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Here's a link to Ives' poetry book.

Comment

• diary

Hello Trade. Thanks. Remind me and I can send you his diary entries on the ripper.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• reply from an expert

Hello All. I have recently received a lovely message from Professor Daniel Crofts. As you may know, he is perhaps the world's leading expert on WH Hurlbert.

He has given permission to post his remarks. His generous compliments speak highly of the quality of historical research done on Casebook. Let's all keep it up!

Cheers.
          LC

Dear Professor Cates,

I found myself quite absorbed by all the research material posted on your blog. Some of it was quite new to me. As you have seen in my book, I make much use of the 7 Sept 1895 NY World obit (#131-33), but I had not seen the even fuller long article dated 20 Dec 1891 (#38-45) on which the obit was based, or the one on 11 Dec 91 (#71-72).

You've provided lots of additional material on the Hurlbert-Evelyn fiasco. I am all the more convinced that I have the matter properly summarized in the book.

Thank you for item #161, the recollection of Betty Paschal. It rings true and provides an angle of vision that I had not before seen.

Thank you also for the fascinating New Republic piece on TW Higginson, 28 May 2001, by Caleb Crain.

I have to confess to deep doubts as to whether Hurlbert ever was involved in any violence, let alone lethal violence.

I would also add, apropos #210, that Hurlbert's fascination with radical ideas (or we might better say reformist-progressive ones) ended in the late 1850s, never to be resumed.

One last question, and this is apropos #198--why shouldn't I be surprised that WHH could pull off the diary at the same time he was masterminding the Obelisk project and editing a daily paper? This is quite an array of responsibilities, even if you have a ton of talent.

All best,

Dan Crofts

Comment

• Thanks for posting that, LC.

Hurlbert says the last time he saw "Wilfred Murray" was in the spring of 1890.

In the November 1, 1890, installment of his "Unionism and Crime" series in Labour World (page 9), Michael Davitt writes that a friend of Jim McDermott's contacted McDermott on Davitt's behalf by placing an ad in the Daily Telegraph. An interview was arranged with McDermott on May 31st.

Is it possible that there is a connection between Davitt's intermediary (possibly Matt O'Brien?) and "Wilfred Murray"?

England under Coercion (Genoa: 1893), Page 96
            by William Henry Hurlbert

As I testified, I had last seen and heard of this person Wilfred Murray at some time in the spring of 1890, when he had sought employment from me at different times both in Paris and in London not only in connection with the Irish Question, in regard to which I had often previously employed him, but in regard to the condition of things in France. Early in the year 1890 I published in England a book, embodying my observations on the then condition and tendencies of the Third French Republic under the system of Parliamentary Government which had then begun to show, as it has since continued to show, symptoms full of danger not only to social order in France, but to organized liberty throughout the world. No inconsiderable part has been played, and is playing, in the subterranean history of The Third French Republic by societies and associations with which , as with similar societies and associations in the United States, Great Britain and Ireland I had for years known Murray to have connections and affiliations which enabled him from time to time to bring me documents and information for which, according to their worth, I paid him. Murray wished me to employ him in the early part of 1890, not only to make a French translation of a Letter on the antireligious movement in France addressed by me to the late Cardinal Manning, but also of my book on the French Republic. I declined to employ him to do either piece of work, confiding the latter eventually to a French friend of mine Mr. Pierre de Witt, who made an admirable French translation of the book for which a preface was written by myself when it appeared in Paris. When Murray found in the early spring of 1890 that he was not likely to receive further renumerative [sic] employement [sic] from me, he probably enough thought the moment opportune for taking himself out of the range of any inquiries which events might make it desirable for me to institute as to his whereabouts. At all events I saw no more of him after the time I have mentioned.

--end

Comment

• Davitt

Hello Trade. Thanks.

"Is it possible that there is a connection between Davitt's intermediary (possibly Matt O'Brien?) and "Wilfred Murray"?"

Oh, wouldn't I like that! If only I were wealthy I could go search Davitt's works. In particular:

1. "Notes of an Amateur Detective."

2. His personal diary.

Regarding #1, Davitt found out much about Sir Ed's intelligence network, later taken over by Lord Salisbury and his second in command, Gosselin.

Davitt was, however, accused of inadvertently causing Dr. Cronin's death when he mentioned to Alex Sullivan that he had seen Cronin's name on the list of names held by "The Times."

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• At last!

Hello All. Well, after months of an agonising wait, the materials from both Cambridge and Princeton Universities have arrived--nearly simultaneously.

Looks like it's to my dungeon until I can digest all this.

Wish me luck.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Nice one Lynn...much happy reading anticipated...Hope it proves fruitful!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Besant

Hello Dave. Thanks.

The Besant correspondence is interesting. I had forgotten about Sir Walter's work with the Palestine Exploration Fund.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Good hunting, LC.

Comment

• William James Hurlbut

William James Hurlbut, the grandson of Hurlbert's brother, Stephen Augustus Hurlbut, was a playwright and screenwriter who worked on the script of The Bride of Frankenstein.

Comment

• Karloff!

Hello Trade. Thanks. You found that too? I noticed the similarity whilst watching the movie about a year ago. I think he used "Hurlbut."

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello Trade. Thanks. You found that too? I noticed the similarity whilst watching the movie about a year ago. I think he used "Hurlbut."

Cheers.
                            LC
                            I noticed it awhile back, but was recently reminded when I saw the scene where Pretorius sends out his pet murderer to obtain a fresh heart on TV.

Comment

• Dwight Frye

Hello Trade. Thanks. His pet murderer was Dwight Frye. I think they gave him his own website some time back. He also portrayed Renfield in "Dracula" and Fritz in "Frankenstein."

Dr. Pretorius was Ernest Thesiger. You may recall him as the undertaker in the George Minter 1951 version of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Didn't Valerie Hobson, who played Elizabeth Frankenstein, later marry Profumo?

Comment

Working...
                                X