No announcement yet.

What Became Of #19 Cleveland Street? Conflicting Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Booth's Map Descriptive of London Poverty, 1889-1891: Cleveland Street, Parish of St. Marylebone / Parish of St. Pancras

Comment

Thanks Colin, those are great.

I was just thinking, weren't the names of some of the boys just priceless?

"Newlove" and "Thickbroom"

...A late-night talk show host/comedian's dream.

Best regards,
      Archaic

Comment

Video: Dickens Home & Cleveland Street Workhouse

Here's a nice little BBC on the Cleveland Street Workhouse that was aired in February of this year, when the historic workhouse was threatened with demolition. It shows the very close proximity of the Dickens home and the Cleveland Street Workhouse.

This video was posted on YouTube by author Philip Hutchinson (GuildfordGhost), so thanks very much Phil!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkJsO...eature=related

Best regards,
        Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
          Thanks Colin, those are great.

I was just thinking, weren't the names of some of the boys just priceless?

"Newlove" and "Thickbroom"

...A late-night talk show host/comedian's dream.

Best regards,
          Archaic
          Not forgetting nearby 'Upper Ogle Street' and 'Ogle Mews'.

Fnarf. Fnarf.

Comment

Hi John.

Is 'Upper Ogle Street' anywhere near 'Mincing Lane'?

Archaic

Comment

I don't get it or I am missing something ,wger enow TOday is the exact site of the original 19 Cleaveland street?
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Krinoid View Post
                I don't get it or I am missing something ,wger enow TOday is the exact site of the original 19 Cleaveland street?
                Mark
                Er, what?
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thread Summation

Originally posted by Krinoid View Post
                  Mark
                  Hi Krinoid.

I think you're asking where the exact site of #19 Cleveland Street is and what's on it today? That's exactly what we were working out in the course of this thread.
                  But if you want it in a nutshell-

According to the maps kindly provided by Colin and the general consensus of thread participants, the site of #19 is opposite the house once lived in by Charles Dickens at #22 Cleveland Street. (#22 still stands.)

The original house at #19 was demolished in the 1890's.

The building that replaced it seems to have been demolished in the 1920's to make way for an expansion of the Middlesex Hospital.

That part of the hospital was in turn demolished to make way for a new building venture. Today the site of #19 is merely part of a huge empty lot. (If you go to Post #1 there are Google Maps photos of this empty lot.)

That empty lot was supposed to have been built over again as part of an ambitious new residential and commercial venture called "NoHo Square", but due to the poor economy the project seems to be in limbo.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
                  Archaic

Comment

Thanks-Archaic that's what I wanted to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X