Inverness Courier Article 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverness Courier Article 1888

While trawling through my JTR: The Bloody Truth by Melvin Harris, i stumbled upon a cutting that i had taken from my local paper at the time. I think it was re-printed in the 100 years ago section so would have been November 16 1988. I will try and get a pic of it but for now here is the transcript, which makes interesting reading.

1888, November 16th. WHITECHAPEL MURDER

Inquiries made yesterday show that since the previous evening nothing of importance has transpired in connection with the recent murders. At Leman Police Station yesterday morning there was no-one in custody, the men arrested on the previous night having been discharged on their identification being established. At Commercial Street two men were detained, but neither of them bore any resemblance to he whom the police are now in search. The agitation in regard to the alleged insufficient police protection in Spittalfields is taking a new form, and it is expected that within a few days a deputation from the district will wait upon the Home Secretary.

The extraordinary statement from Mathew Packer, the Fruiterer of berner Street, caused some sensation, but rightly or wrongly, the police are stated to regard it as not of the highest importance. Although investigations are being made in quarters indicated by the Informant, the police have not yet discovered the two men who, as alleged, had the interview with Packer and to one of whom the startling statement is attributed. Nothing important is expected to result from the arrest in Old Kent Road.

At Midnight there were no persons in custody in connection with the recent murders. Yesterday a man answering the published description entered a coffee shop in Battersea and displayed some hair, apparently human, clotted with blood. He was not detained, but it is stated, left the hair behind. The police recieved another letter signed " Jack the Ripper", commencing Dear Boss, explaining that he always addressed his cousin in these terms; and threatening to perpretate another murder in the locality on Wednesday next, inflicting injuries similar to those in the last case.

Now! A couple of points stand out in this article for me.

1/ Packer was taken by 2 detectives (Messrs. Grand and J.H.Batchelor of 283 Strand) to Golden Lane mortuary to view the body of Catherine Eddowes as they had found a grape stalk near Dutfields Yard. So can we assume that these are the 2 men mentioned in the article as interviewing Packer. But why take him to view Eddowes body when the stalk was found near Stride's body.

2/ The article mentions a Dear Boss letter indicating another crime the following Wednesday. Now If the article was written on the Nov 15th 1888 ( Thu) that would make it Wednesday 21st 1888. Looking at the "other" suspected victims; Annie Farmer was killed in the early hours of the 21st. However i note that this case is not taken seriously as an actual victim! And the injuries were nowhere near as brutal as stated in the alleged letter as similar to the last case( Assuming the writer meant Kelly)

3/ I cant see any reference to a Dear Boss letter which mentions addressing his cousin as this.

4/ What about the reported coffee shop visitor with the blod clotted human hair?

Anyway! your thoughts and comments would be appreciated to this humble Newbie to the casebook

Chris
    Last edited by alex_the_droog; 07-22-2011, 09:53 PM.

Seriously people! Does no-one have any thoughts on this. I think its quite revealing!

Comment

Good evening Chris and welcome to the Casebook discussion group

Originally posted by alex_the_droog View Post
      4/ What about the reported coffee shop visitor with the blod clotted human hair?
      The Evening News Nov 16 went a step further about the "published description"

HUMAN BLOOD AND HAIR.

The police at Battersea are in search of a man who is stated to answer to the description of the man wanted for the murder of Mary Jane Kelly. He was seen under somewhat singular circumstances yesterday afternoon. He entered a coffee-house in that neighbourhood, and displayed some hair, which is stated to have been human, with congealed blood attached. No one thought to detain him, but information was subsequently given to the police. It is understood that he left the hair behind him.

(see the Press Reports section)

Thanks for sharing the article and again, welcome,

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by alex_the_droog View Post
        The extraordinary statement from Mathew Packer, the Fruiterer of berner Street, caused some sensation, but rightly or wrongly, the police are stated to regard it as not of the highest importance. Although investigations are being made in quarters indicated by the Informant, the police have not yet discovered the two men who, as alleged, had the interview with Packer and to one of whom the startling statement is attributed. Nothing important is expected to result from the arrest in Old Kent Road.

Originally posted by alex_the_droog
        1/ Packer was taken by 2 detectives (Messrs. Grand and J.H.Batchelor of 283 Strand) to Golden Lane mortuary to view the body of Catherine Eddowes as they had found a grape stalk near Dutfields Yard. So can we assume that these are the 2 men mentioned in the article as interviewing Packer. But why take him to view Eddowes body when the stalk was found near Stride's body.
        Hi Chris, and welcome.
        I would guess that the what is being referenced here is Packer's story circulated around Nov. 15th:

Statement by Packer-
        "On Tuesday evening two men came to my house and bought twelve shillings' worth of rabbits off me. They then asked me If I could give an exact description of the man to whom I sold the grapes, and who was supposed to have committed the Berner Street and Mitre Square murders, as they were convinced they knew him and where to find him...."

Daily News (London, England), Thursday, November 15, 1888

Comment

Working...
        X