secret resettlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• secret resettlement

Hello All. I am currently reading Senan Molony's "The Phoenix Park Murders." The author indicates that there were violent attacks/threats on some of the informers against the "Invincibles"--the ones who were responsible for these and related murders--in the wake of the investigation.

To preclude such retaliation attacks, it seems that some of the informants (Molony lists Peter Carey, Robert Farrell, Joseph Hanlon, and Joseph Smith) were part of a "secret resettlement" program.

Does anyone have details about how this program worked? What was the stipend? Where were the informants secretly resettled?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    LC

carey

Hello All. I have received some research from Simon Wood on this topic. Seems that one of the leaders of the Invincibles, James Carey, after having having become an informant, was to be renamed Powers and resettled in South Africa. But his true identity was leaked and he was subsequently assassinated. He was given a cheque for L100 to help during his proposed resettlement.

Snippet (generously provided by Simon Wood) is from the Newark "Daily Advocate" for August 22, 1883.

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Comment

Carroll stipend

Hello All. In partial answer to my question about stipend, it seems that the 17 year old (1883) servant girl, Alice Carroll, was given a stipend of L500 for giving information against the Invincibles.

A tidy sum for a mere chit of a girl, 1883.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

grief

Hello All. It seems that Ms. Carroll received much grief for her work as an informer.

The snippet, from "The Guardian" September 26, 1883, makes it clear why secret resettlement of witnesses was so important.

Cheers.
        LC
        Attached Files

Comment

incident pt #1

Hello All. Here is the incident which involved Ms. Carroll.

(Newspaper data on snippet.)

Cheers.
          LC
          Attached Files

Comment

incident pt #2

Hello All. Second part.

Cheers.
            LC
            Attached Files

Comment

finis

Hello All. Here endeth the lesson. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
              LC
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lynn. What are you thoughts on the book you're reading? I've long been curious to learn more about these murders. Is Molony's the only full-length treatment?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tynan, etc

Hello Tom. Molony's book is thorough and objective. I presume that there are no others comparable. However, P J P Tynan, the notorious #1 of the Invincibles, wrote a book about the movement. I have ordered it and hope to have it soon. I'll keep you posted.

Right now, I'd like to discover more about Alice Carroll. I am astonished that she pocketed such a large sum for her testimony. Also, I am wondering whether she were resettled like some of the others.

As I recall, Sir Edward Jenkinson first got noticed for his work in Dublin Castle in conjunction with the Phoenix Park murders.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Thanks for that, Lynn. Keep us posted in what you find out.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Alice Carroll

Hello All. A special thanks to Phil Carter and Debs Arif for research helping me locate Alice Carroll in Dublin, September 1887. Seems she was up on a D & D.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Clan-na-gael

Hello All. Here is a link to some information about Clan-na-Gael. Notice the material on Millen in Article 11. Boland is claimed as a spy; Millen seems not. Odd.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Red Jim

Hello All. On p. 69 of the book, whose link I recently posted, discusses resettlement.

Interesting that, a few pages later, "Red Jim" should pop up.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Yes Lynn...I noticed that last night...was he playing both ends against the middle, or when he sold out the Fenians did he stay "bought"?

And was Alice Carroll the same Carroll as Cronin's sister?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X