Lying Witnesses - Did Sarah Lewis Lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jon,

Agreed, unless Astrachan was in the theatre, had eyeliner or mascara on?
    ...Which he didn't wipe off in the dressing room afterwards?

Talk about shattering the illusion and breaking that Stanislavskian fourth wall!

That reminds me, I'd better remove mine.

So once again a simple mis-reporting on behalf of the recorder is taken as more evidence of Hutchinson's unreliable statement?
    On behalf of which "recorder"?

Sgt. Edward Badham who took Hutchinson's statement?

No, almost certainly not. Hutchinson signed his own statement, signifying his approval of its content, including the "dark eyelashes" detail. Clearly, therefore, he meant to specify eyelash colour in his initial statement. Of course, if people want to believe that Hutchinson really did discern eyelash colour, I guess it's up to them.

Wow, though.

Best wishes,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-04-2011, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      ...Clearly, therefore, he meant to specify eyelash colour in his initial statement. Of course, if people want to believe that Hutchinson really did discern eyelash colour, I guess it's up to them.
      Hi Ben.
      I don't see what was to be gained by Hutchinson insisting on something if he didn't really see it. Neither do I see the point in making an issue of something that we cannot judge today.

Were you aware that Liz Taylor's eyes always looked darker than normal because she had double-eyelashes?

Quote:
      There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
      Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

:-)

Best Wishes, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Ben:

"Of course there’s no certainly involved, but this hasn’t stopped me and practically everyone else from opining that Lewis very probably told the truth, and that the lighting conditions were undoubtedly very poor in Commercial Street at 2:30am on the 9th November 1888."

Generally speaking, they would have been poor or very poor. Specifically speaking - we don´t know. We have no idea when Hutch recorded what he saw or in what exact conditions. That means that we may think that it would have been hard to achieve what he claimed to achieve, that others think it would have been quite possible, and that the question remains open to discussion, and thus unviable as any sort of proof that Hutchinson was lying.

There are others out here that spend too much time on things they can never achieve too, Ben. You are one of them.

"But there’s no such thing as a witness who provides his/her evidence more than once and never changes a thing in the process."

The question is a GENERAL one and quite easy to answer. I will rephrase it to facilitate for you:

If a person changes his testimony on a certain point or points, will that GENERALLY mean that the police invests less faith in him or her than they would have done if the testimony had not been changed on this point/s?

You may notice, as we go along, how enormous the impact of phrasing the question is? Which is what I spoke about from the outset. You are proving this now, byshowing how you can evade providing an unambiguos answer to the question I am asing you. But I think it will prove harder this time?

No matter what, since you are proving my point anyway!

The best,
        Fisherman
        Last edited by Fisherman; 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Fish -are you sure that you know what day it is ?
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

“Generally speaking, they would have been poor or very poor. Specifically speaking - we don´t know.”
            “We have no idea when Hutch recorded what he saw or in what exact conditions.”
            These are two highly contradictory statements, Fisherman.

If you are able to recognise that the lighting conditions “would have been poor or very poor”, you obviously do have an “idea” about it. It may not amount to proof that Hutchinson was lying, but it ought really to be considered a very compelling indication in that regard.

“If a person changes his testimony on a certain point or points, will that GENERALLY mean that the police invests less faith in him or her than they would have done if the testimony had not been changed on this point/s?”
            No.

Because there is no such thing as a witness who provides his/her evidence on more than one occasion and doesn't change a single detail.

I suppose you would call that an “evasive” answer too?

Regards,
            Ben
            Last edited by Ben; 06-05-2011, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Hi Jon,

I never suggested that Hutchinson was particularly “insistent” on any given point, but surely it doesn’t take too great a stretch of the imagination to accept that people may tell lies for various reasons? I don’t know why you make the distinction between “today” and 1888 in this context. Not being able to discern eyelash colour in heavily darkened conditions is a reality that held as true back then as it does today. The suggestion that the Astrakhan man was in the theatrical trade, and for some reason had stage make-up on his face at 2:30am, is an ingenious attempt to get round the problem, but it doesn’t quite work, in my opinion.

All the best,
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                Hi Jon,

I never suggested that Hutchinson was particularly “insistent” on any given point, but surely it doesn’t take too great a stretch of the imagination to accept that people may tell lies for various reasons? I don’t know why you make the distinction between “today” and 1888 in this context. Not being able to discern eyelash colour in heavily darkened conditions is a reality that held as true back then as it does today. The suggestion that the Astrakhan man was in the theatrical trade, and for some reason had stage make-up on his face at 2:30am, is an ingenious attempt to get round the problem, but it doesn’t quite work, in my opinion.

All the best,
                Ben
                Ben, I think you're labouring the point unnecessarily, the man had 'dark' hair, 'dark' eyes, 'dark' jacket, 'dark' trousers, 'dark' coat, there's no mention of colour?

Why are you talking about eyelash colour? When someone is said to have dark eyes & eyelashes they just have dark eyes - its a common expression even today. Who cares about colour? Nobody said dark brown, dark blue, or black - no colour is mentioned.

And some excentric men did wear makeup still in the Victorian era, a bit of a throwback to the 17th-18th century when it was common for gentry as well as their ladies.
                Why does this matter so much to you, just to invent more criticism against Hutchinson?
                "No-one can tell eyelash colour in the dark!!" - you jump to conclusions Ben, no-one HAS described eyelash colour - 'dark' is not a colour.

Regards, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

“When someone is said to have dark eyes & eyelashes they just have dark eyes - its a common expression even today.”
                  I don’t think so, Jon.

I’ve certainly never heard it. I’m not aware than the darkness of people’s eyes have any effect on the shade of their eyelashes, not that eyelash “shade” can be really been gauged during a fleeting glance on the streets at night. This observation did not originate with me, incidentally. It’s been around for a considerable number of years, and is certainly not an “invented criticism” on my part. If people disagree, that’s fine, and they're more than welcome to have the Astrakhan man wearing theatrical make-up, but I have to wonder why some people are so eager to convince themselves of the patently false.

All the best,
                  Ben

Comment

Surely..

Eyelash 'shade' has more to do with hair colour than eye colour?

Comment

Ben:

"Quote:
                      “Generally speaking, they would have been poor or very poor. Specifically speaking - we don´t know.”
                      Quote:
                      “We have no idea when Hutch recorded what he saw or in what exact conditions.”
                      These are two highly contradictory statements, Fisherman."

No, they are not. I am saying that the lighting conditions GENERALLY SPEAKING would have been poor or very poor, and then I am adding that we dont know at what stage Hutch made his observation just as we don´t know in what EXACT lighting conditions.

Generally speaking, he would have made then in poor or very poor lighting conditions, but SPECIFICALLY speaking, WE DON´T KNOW.

Surely this semantical construction should not be unsurmountable? General - specific. Specific - general. Generally speaking, people out here are not Hutchinsonians - but SPECIFICALLY ...

"I suppose you would call that an “evasive” answer too?"

No. I call it an "expected" one.

The best,
                      Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                      X