No announcement yet.

How literate was the general populace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How literate was the general populace?

Here on Casebook, the ‘Introduction to the Case’ page has the statement,

“… but he (JtR) was probably the first (serial killer) to appear in a large metropolis at a time when the general populace had become literate …” (parentheses mine)

Just how literate were the East Enders? How many of the residents were able to read English? Especially the immigrants. I’m not just thinking about newspapers, etc., but the Ghoulston Steet Grafiti. Does anybody on Casebook have any knowledge about this segment of the residents?

Edward

Hi Edward,

I'd say they were literate to a point - that the majority of them could read and write very basic English, enough to get by with what they needed to do, but very few would have given much rivalry to the likes of Dickens in their era. We've had this discussion before some time ago and I remember there was quite a lot of opposition to my saying this, with many of the opinion that most, by the 1880's, could read and write fairly well - and there's no doubt that the average East Ender was smarter in the 1880's than they had been 50 years earlier, but again I think the best thing to do is to refer you to the social studies of the likes of Henry Mayhew in "London Labour and the London Poor." Mayhew interviewed thousands of people and asked them about their general lives, around the mid-1800's, and there's numerous accounts of the residents stating that one of the things they enjoyed most was gathering around in groups at bars and listening to one of the group who was fortunate enough to be able to read, read to the group. Or many more who said that they had learnt to read and write but it had never been of any use to them - who needs to read and write if they're just working on the docks or selling items from their stalls? Was basically the attitude.

Anyway, definitely check out that book if you get the chance....hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

Working...
    X