Ripper Website Lacking Attribution & Full Of Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Website Lacking Attribution & Full Of Errors

Hi folks. I just came across a website in which a poster purports to tell the story of Jack the Ripper in a number of long successive posts, all dated quite recently.

There are of course a large number of mistakes (for example, Prince Albert Victor's photo is identified as that of Monty Druitt, and the photo of an anonymous woman is identified as Elizabeth Stride), but I'm posting the link because the author of the postings has failed to give credit to any books, authors, Casebook, etc. for the images & information that have been used.

It also appears that he or she has posted artwork and CGS stills from a recent Ripper documentary without giving any kind of attribution.

I'm not sure if any of you want to bother taking this issue up with the individual, or if you care to set them straight on some of their mistakes, but here is the link:

(Note: Apparently you have to become a member of the forum to send a message to one of its members.)

Best regards,
    Archaic

Oh, we hates them, Precious. Let's sue him/her/them, gollum, gollum.

I did appreciate the photo of Thomas Cutbush, though. Haven't seen that before. He looks remarkably modern.

Comment

Hi Ken.

Yes, that oh-so-modern looking Thomas Cutbush might even have a career in acting ahead of him- he bears a bit of a resemblance to a pouty young Martin Sheen.

Hey, do you think we should consider jazzing up Casebook with a more Fantasy/Goth look? It seems to be all the rage.

Cheers,
      Archaic

Comment

Hello Bunny,

Gives it more "sheen" right
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I think the Cutbush picture is of an actor playing Cutbush in a suspect line up from a recentish Ripper TV documentary presented by Vic Reeves.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
            I think the Cutbush picture is of an actor playing Cutbush in a suspect line up from a recentish Ripper TV documentary presented by Vic Reeves.
            Hi Lechmere.

You're correct. Ken and I were just having a laugh.

Cheers,
            Archaic

Comment

"I think the Cutbush picture is of an actor playing Cutbush"

Is that a jobbing actor?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                "I think the Cutbush picture is of an actor playing Cutbush"

Is that a jobbing actor?
                Hi Robert.

Don't you mean a "jabbing" actor?

Archaic

Comment

Warlock Alert

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                  Yes, that oh-so-modern looking Thomas Cutbush might even have a career in acting ahead of him- he bears a bit of a resemblance to a pouty young Martin Sheen.
                  Dead ringer for Charlie ! WINNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Managing Editor
                  Casebook Wiki

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's Stewart's website.

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
                      Dead ringer for Charlie !
                      He does look quite a bit like Charlie Sheen. But I think the young actor needs to put in many years of extreme drug and alcohol abuse (heavy on the cocaine to get that craggy look), an outrageously shallow and expensive lifestyle, periodic domestic abuse, and a spectacularly boring downward spiral of uncontrollable rages enacted in public to really get the look down pat.

I happened to see a news video of people walking out of Charlie's new one-man 'stage-show'. The audience left in droves after only 5 or 10 minutes saying it was "horrible" and "a waste of money"... what did they expect?? He cashed in on his own self-indulgent boorishness and they took the bait. $80 each for main-floor tickets? Wow.
                      It would make an interesting psychological study.

Well, maybe if can start his self-destructive new lifestyle immediately, the Cutbush/Sheen look-alike actor can hope to be tapped for the lousy 'Charlie Sheen Saga' TV-movie that is unfortunately bound to be coming.

Sigh.
                      Archaic

Comment

I have only just found this thread having erronously posted a new thread about this exact site. I shall go back to that thread 'forthwith'.

As for my opinion on the site I shall keep it private (but you can probably guess...) - one of my photographs is amongst those used unattributed and without permission and I have tonight contacted the owner/creator/administrator. I will keep everyone informed of any replies.

Comment

Hi Trevor.

I'm sorry to hear that one of your images was used without your permission. I suspect that other scholars in this field will find that their material was also used without permission or attribution, which is why I posted the link.

Hopefully the person who posted them improperly will rectify the situation.

Best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

Archaic,

Absolutely right. I had no doubt that was why you posted the link, for exactly the same reason as I did after you.

As for my 'contribution' it was merely a largely irrelevant photo of minority interest (and for some odd reason really blurred...), which in a way just makes it even odder. It seems like whoever is responsible has simply hoovered up each and every image they can though, without any idea of what is relevant or even correct (hence repeating the fallacy of the patently absurd Stride photo, or seemingly having a photo of the 'wrong' Keith Skinner!). I'm hardly a 'scholar' of any note, and I dare say there will be others for whom this unfortunate episode may prove a professional as well as simply a personal inconvenience. But whether you are Bond or Rumbelow, it's still bloody annoying.

I had hoped against hope that my image had somehow slipped through the net and that the rest of the content may have been rightly sourced. It is becoming clear that is not the case. A real shame.

To anyone who ever does want to use any of my images or research, for the record - ask me and I will probably say yes if you just show me two basic courtesies - credit me, and take the time to present it decently. Not that I think for one second that the person behind this site has any affiliation with Casebook (except perhaps on 'fishing' trips...).

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                              Archaic,

Absolutely right. I had no doubt that was why you posted the link, for exactly the same reason as I did after you.
                              It's my bad. I posted the link on Jeff Leahy's Facebook page because I thought several of the images were from his documentary and he cannot post here. I forgot to say where I got the link from !
                              Managing Editor
                              Casebook Wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X