Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is so fascinating about Jack The Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is so fascinating about Jack The Ripper?

Hello everyone.

I have to do an essay for school, which i am writing about Jack The Ripper.
    My exact topis is: ' What is so fascinating about killing women? The motif of Jack The Ripper in modern Bitish fiction and songs.' .
    To diversify my work I would like you to answer some questions.

1.Why are you interested in the case?
    2.Why do you think people are fascinated by Jack The Ripper?
    3. Do you like reading about Jack The Ripper or other killers in novels? Why/ why not?
    4. Do you think that Jack The Ripper is a literary motif?

I'd be glad to have some of these questions answered, it would help a lot.
    Thank you!
    dance.addict

Hello dance,

In answer to your first question this is a mystery which has never been solved (as far as we know). I also have an interest in Victorian social history and think that it is sad that the killer of these poor women was never brought to justice. I must admit that it is fun to speculate and interpret the facts in different ways in the hope that something new may develop.

After reading so many factual books on JTR I donīt enjoy reading novels -the errors irritate me, I have to say.

Not quite sure what you mean by your last question. The killer of these women was a very real person.

Good luck with your essay!

Best wishes,
    C4

Comment

Dance, there's nothing fascinating about killing women, though I see your point : we wouldn't be interested in Jack if he was a mystery litter lout who threw paper on the floor.

It's because the case is unsolved, so his identity is a mystery. If we ever found out who he was, there would be some research to try and understand his history, childhood development and so on. And then in the end, people would lose interest because he was, after all, just another grotty little man.

But until then, his nickname is a byword for death and terror, and we cannot help but be influenced by his notoriety.

Comment

I can't say that the story of Jack the Ripper is a literary motif, although it embodies several classic ones. The downtrodden poor, punishment of sin, descent into madness, man railing against the institution, ineffectual police, etc.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Thank you very much for your answers so far, it is very helpful to have several opinions.

Of course I know that Jack The Ripper was a real person. What I mean with my last question is, whether he can be seen as a literary motif even though, since he has features of a literary motif - for example, he is a recurring topic in literature. I hope you understand what I mean - it is difficult for me to explain in English

dance.addict

Comment

Working...
          X