Queen Victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Victoria

I'm not sure if this is the proper arena for this question but how soon into the Whitechgapel killings did Her Majesty Queen Victoria take an interest? And, how deeply was she interested?
    Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

I believe she watched events pretty closely from early on in the murder series, but it was after the "double event" and the MJK murder that she began to become more vocal, contacting the Home Office and suggesting, among other things, that the patrolling police force were not what they should be and that the cattle boats should be investigated.

It certainly snapped her into action, something which had rarely been seen for a while after her self-imposed exile following Albert's death....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

Good Queen Vic

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
      I believe she watched events pretty closely from early on in the murder series, but it was after the "double event" and the MJK murder that she began to become more vocal, contacting the Home Office and suggesting, among other things, that the patrolling police force were not what they should be and that the cattle boats should be investigated.

It certainly snapped her into action, something which had rarely been seen for a while after her self-imposed exile following Albert's death....

Cheers,
      Adam.
      Thanks Adam! I can now forge ahead on my novel (or at Least that chapter!)
      Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Hi YS,

No problems. If you have a copy of Philip Sugden's "Complete History" handy, he mentions Queen Victoria's involvement much more thoroughly - p. 341-342 of the revised edition, to be exact!

Best of luck with your novel.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Working...
        X