Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1888 'Manual of Vigilance Law' (British, Full Text)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1888 'Manual of Vigilance Law' (British, Full Text)

Hello everyone.

I've come across a law book published in London in July, 1888, shortly before the Whitechapel Murders commenced. It was written by a lawyer named Wyndham A. Bewes, and published under the auspices of ‘The Office of the National Vigilance Association, London.’ It is as its title indicates, a contemporary British 'Manual of Vigilance Law'. I had never heard of it before, so I showed it to my friend Stewart Evans and asked if he had seen it. He told me he had not, so perhaps it will be new to others as well.

I think this legal manual will be of particular interest to those of you who research the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee. I studied Pre-Law in college, and I've always been curious as to the legal status and powers of the Mile End Vigilance Committee (to use its proper name- see, Monty? ) It’s surprised me that there isn't more available on the subject. A Citizens’ Vigilance Committee of local businessmen operating in the midst of London in 1888 must have been regulated by law, or else it would have been suppressed.

In 19th C. America, local 'Vigilance Committees' tended to engage in what we call ‘Vigilante Justice’, which sometimes resembled Mob Rule. The most famous 'Vigilante' groups in American history formed in San Francisco in the 1850's as a response to the massive increase in population, lawlessness, and violence brought about by the 1848 California Gold Rush. These Vigilance Committees were admired for dispensing ‘Frontier Justice’, which bypassed the legal system and resulted in a large number of public hangings of those identified as thieves and murderers.

Of course I didn’t think the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee bore any resemblance to the Wild West, but I don’t recall ever having seen an explanation of the laws by which the WVC must have been regulated, or of the powers with which it was invested. For instance, if a WVC patrol had ever apprehended the Ripper, what could they legally have done to him? Hopefully this book will help clarify these issues. The manual covers a surprisingly wide range of ‘public order’ issues, breaks them down into specific situations, and offers highly detailed regulations pertaining to ‘Vigilance Member’ conduct and authority in each situation.

Since this is a book of English Law, rather than a “committee handbook”, I presume that the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee members had no “extraordinary powers” invested in them and had to abide by these same rules and regulations. *Perhaps some of you will be able to offer additional information on this point.*
    I have attached a copy of the page that deals with ‘Procedures of Arrest’ as I believe it most closely pertains to the WVC’s efforts to apprehend the Ripper.

I’ve also attached the title page and the author’s preface, which is dated ‘July, 1888’. I’m not sure of the exact date of its first publication in 1888, but I found several reviews of this book in 1888 Law Journals. Some of the reviews are dated August 1888, so the manual must have been published sometime between July and late August, 1888. I first found this book in the library of one the universities I attended. It was too long to make it practical for me to photograph and post the whole thing, so I looked around and luckily found a Columbia University archival copy online that can be accessed by everyone. This Columbia University copy includes a brief Addendum dated January 1890, so the manual must have been republished about 18 months after its first publication. I believe the only change made was the inclusion of the brief one page addendum at the beginning. It must have been considered an important publication if American Universities and Law Schools obtained copies, because the book deals with British Law rather than United States Law. Hopefully those of you who live in England will be able to locate this book at your local University’s Law Library. University Libraries and Law Libraries are excellent resources; that’s where I found a number of the 19th C. Medico-Legal texts and journals I have posted.

I’ll attach the book reviews, information pertaining to the history and aims of the National Vigilance Association, and a few bits of miscellany pertaining to the author in my upcoming posts.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts, particularly commentary on how these Vigilance Laws would have pertained to the WVC’s efforts to guard against and hopefully apprehend Jack the Ripper.

Online copy of ‘A Manual of Vigilance Justice’ :http://books.google.com/books?id=dj5...page&q&f=false

I hope you all enjoy this book.

Best regards,
    Archaic
    Last edited by Admin; 02-12-2011, 11:44 PM. Reason: Spelling correction at poster's request.

August 1888 Review Of 'A Manual of Vigilance Law'

This review is from a journal called 'The Pump Court: The Temple Newspaper and Review', August 22, 1888.

Best regards,
    Archaic
    Attached Files

Comment

August 1888 Mention of 'Maunual of Vigilance Law'

This mention is from Irish Law Times, August 25, 1888.

Best regards,
      Archaic
      Attached Files

Comment

UK & USA Libraries w/Copies of 'A Manual Of Vigilance Law'

Just for the heck of it I did some searching through linked library catalogs and located copies of 'A Manual of Vigilance Law' at the following libraries-

UK: Oxford, Cambridge, and the British Library in West Yorkshire.

U.S.A.: The New York Public Library, Cornell, Fordham, Yale, and many other American universities, especially those with Law Schools.

Best regards,
        Archaic

Comment

Archaic,

This is a wonderul find and it will be beneficial in the understanding of the Vigilant Committees operational side.

I am currently in the midst of wisdom tooth agony so my powers of concentration are weak (not that they were ever that strong) so Ive not read the text in full.

I will add that the Vigilance Committess liaised and operated closely with the Police, taking guidence from them for equipment to ogranisation to operation to reporting. As you state, they were not the lawless posse the Caine mini series promoted.

As said, cant focus on it just now but look forward as to when I can.

Many thanks for putting it here.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

nice

Hello Bunny. Nice find and quite helpful.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hi Monty.

I'm so glad you feel this book will be useful; that's exactly what I was hoping for!

I can totally relate to your wisdom tooth agony. When I was a teenager I had all 4 taken out at once and my whole face was swollen for days. I was forbidden to laugh in case it split the stitches. My friend came over and decided to tell me jokes, hoping to distract me from the pain...bad idea, because laughing was utterly excruciating!

My advice: lay low, rest, and don't watch any comedy.

Hope you feel better soon, and I'm really looking forward to hearing your comments when you're up to it.

Best regards,
              Archaic

PS: Hi Lynn, just saw your post. Thank you, glad you like it.

Comment

July 1888 Preface To 'Manual of Vigilance Law' & Page On Arrest Procedures

Here is the July 1888 preface by Wyndham A. Bewes, and the page from the manual pertaining to Arrest Procedures.

(Sorry, I meant to attach them to Post #1 but I forgot... juggling a lot of info! )

Best regards,
                Archaic
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Archaic; 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Was WVC Given Additional Arrest Powers By Any 'Special Acts'?

Relating to the 'Arrest Procedures' page posted above, I've been wondering if at any point in its history the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee was empowered by the invoking of the "Special Acts" it mentions.

Thanks and best regards,
                  Archaic

Comment

Trying To Attach PDF FILE: 'A Manual of Vigilance Law'

Hi guys.

Rob said he couldn't open the link to the online version of the book 'A Manual of Vigilance Law' that I embedded in Post #1. In case others of you in the UK can't access it either, I'm going to attempt to attach a PDF version.

OK, just tried to attach the PDF file and Casebook says the file is too big.

If any of you can suggest a way to somehow divide the file into separate attachments, or convert it for international viewing, please let me know and I will either try it (if it sounds simple) or send the PDF on to you (if it sounds too technical).

Thanks and best regards,
                    Archaic

PS: A storm is blowing into my area, so I may lose power & internet soon. If you try to contact me and I don't respond, that's why. Connection is already a bit wonky. Thanks.
                    Last edited by Archaic; 02-12-2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Nice work Archaic, you little detective you...

Comment

History & Archival Info On 'National Vigilance Association' @The Women's Library

Thanks, Silver, that's high praise coming from you.

The following history of the National Vigilance Association comes from The Women’s Library (my emphasis on the first paragraph):

The National Vigilance Association (1885-1953) was founded at a time when the debate over the Contagious Diseases Acts and the regulation of prostitution had drawn public attention to the more general issue of the traffic of women and children. Investigations into child prostitution by WT Stead published in the Pall Mall Gazette increased pressure to pass a Criminal Law Amendment Bill. In order to achieve this immediate aim and support any future changes to the law deemed necessary, the National Vigilance Association was formed in Aug 1885 `for the enforcement and improvement of the laws for the repression of criminal vice and public immorality'.
                        All local Vigilance Committees, and any other organisations with congruent aims, were to affiliate to this new body while in turn the central body was to stimulate the formation of new vigilance committees.

The General Council consisted of delegates from the affiliated groups and other appointed members and early members included Mrs Fawcett, Mrs Percy Bunting, J Stansfeld MP, Mr WT Stead, Miss Ellice Hopkins, Mrs Mitchell, Mrs Lynch, Miss Bewicke, Mrs Bradley and Mrs Josephine Butler. At the initial meeting, an Executive Committee was appointed to manage the organisation's business and subcommittees were set up to deal with preventive, legal, organisational, parliamentary and municipal matters, as well as with registries, enquiries, the suppression of foreign traffic, finance and literature.

The group grew rapidly at a local level and soon there were five branches of the association organised at a regional level: South Wales and Monmouthshire, Sunderland and North Eastern, Manchester and Northern Counties, Birmingham and Midland Counties and Bristol and South Western Counties.

The new Association soon amalgamated with a number of other organisations working in the same field. The Minors' Protection Society merged with them in 1885, as did the Society for the Suppression of Vice, with the National Vigilance Association taking over responsibility for the work of the Belgian Traffic Committee. Discussions on a merger took place with the Central Vigilance Society from 1887 to 1891. The Association's activities also widened during this period.

In 1899 the National Vigilance Association founded an international organisation, the International Bureau for the Suppression of Traffic in Persons. The Executive of the National Vigilance Association acted as the national committee for Britain within the framework of the International Bureau and in this context was known as the British National Committee though the personnel were identical at the time. Later, however, the British National Committee took on an extended role and became a separate, more broadly-based organisation in its own right which comprised representatives of all the major and some minor organisations for the protection of women and children. Subsequently, in 1917 the aims of the National Vigilance Association itself broadened once more to embrace the protection of women, minors (including young men) and children. To achieve this, they worked not only for the suppression of prostitution but also of `obscene' publications and public behaviour. A Special Council was established concerned with `the Suppression of the White Slave Traffic'.

However, in the 1920s and 1930s the National Vigilance Association was constantly plagued with financial difficulties despite its merger with the Travellers' Aid Society in 1939. Rising costs and a diminishing income brought a financial crisis in 1951. In 1952 National Vigilance Association and British National Committee amalgamated once more, ending both their independent existences. Consequently, a new group emerged in 1953 which was named as the British Vigilance Association.

Here is a link to The Women's Library website with further information about the extensive archival materials on the NVA they hold: http://calmarchive.londonmet.ac.uk/D...sqCmd=Show.tcl

Best regards,
                        Archaic
                        Last edited by Archaic; 02-13-2011, 12:34 AM.

Comment

'National Vigilance Association' In the UK National Archives:

Here's a link to the National Vigilance Association material in the National Archives:
                          The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Note:The summary of NVA history that the National Archives has online is identical to the history in the preceding post which came from the Women's Library.

Best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

Sir Charles Warren, National Vigilance Assoc., Prostitution & The Ripper Murders

Some excellent information regarding the National Vigilance Association's efforts to combat Prostitution in the years 1885-1887, the reaction of Sir Charles Warren to their efforts, and how this all relates to the Ripper Murders may be found on Richard Jones' website 'Jack the Ripper 1888': http://www.jack-the-ripper.org/1888-prostitution.htm

Best regards,
                            Archaic

Comment

Thank you much, Archaic, for finding this information. This is significant in many respects.

Indeed, the National Vigilance Ass. ended up causing some problems for Sir Charles that echoed into 1888 and affected what turned into a 'stand down' policy on dealing with street prostitutes... especially after one overzealous arrest that backfired (Elizabeth Cass).
                              Best Wishes,
                              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                              X