Dissertation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissertation

Hi guys, I am currently writing my dissertation 'Jack The Ripper and Whitechapel: 1888', focusing on three main areas, prostitution, poverty and class. I was just wondering if anyone could point me towards any books or resources that would be helpful, or had any thoughts on the subjects they could share? Any help is welcome. Thanks

Fishman

Hello TB. If your dissertation is through a sociology department, permit me to recommend Fishman's "East End 1888." It tackles some of the same topics of interest to you.

The book is relatively inexpensive and readily attainable.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi TBliss,

If you would like to send me a private message I'll dig out any source material I have for you. I have a huge library of documents, photos etc., on Victorian social history in the East End which I'm sure you'll find helpful. Prostitution, poverty and class especially!

If you haven't sent a private message on the board before. Just click on my name at the top of the post and a little drop down list will appear underneath it. You can either PM or email me.

Lynn is spot on with Fishman. Great Book.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx
      I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hi Janie,

That sounds fantastic, anything you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated. I seem to have a problem private messaging you, the option in the drop down box is not there for some reason

Thanks for your kindness,

Tony

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by TBliss View Post
          Hi guys, I am currently writing my dissertation 'Jack The Ripper and Whitechapel: 1888', focusing on three main areas, prostitution, poverty and class. I was just wondering if anyone could point me towards any books or resources that would be helpful, or had any thoughts on the subjects they could share? Any help is welcome. Thanks
          When you say 'dissertation' what exactly do you mean?

Comment

I cannot echo Lynns reccomendation loud enough, Fishman is esstential if you are trying to grasp the Sociology of the area at that time.

May I also point you in the direction of E1: A Journey Through Whitechapel and Spitalfields by John Bennett. I feel it compliments Fishman and provides a little more history as to how the area developed.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Bob, it is my undergraduate History degree dissertation, a 10,000 word piece which I have split into the three areas I said earlier, looking at how the Ripper murders reflected these issues.

Comment

I meant to pm you and posted instead.

I've sent you an email via the board, if you can't access it, I'll just post up my email address, most people have got it anyway!!

Hugs

Janie

xxxxxx
                Last edited by Jane Coram; 01-16-2011, 07:25 PM.
                I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

- Jack London: The people of the Abyss
                  - Charles Booth: Life and labour of the people in London
                  - Kellow Chesney: The Victorian underworld
                  - Philip Hutchinson and Rob Clack: JTR's London then and now (this is a book with photographic documentation)
                  - Philip Sugden: The complete history of JTR (be careful to buy the new edition, issued in 1992).
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Originally posted by TBliss View Post
                    Fred Engels "The Condition of the Working Class", and
                    Gareth Stedman Jones "Outcast London"

Comment

Judith Walkowiz has written two books on the subject of Prostitution in Victorian England. City of Dreadful Delight had a significant amount devoted to Jack.

Also there is Catharine Arnold's City of Sin which was recently published which looks at the prostitiution and sexual vice in London through history. We reviewed it in Decmember in Casebook Examiner and it was good.

Jenni
                      “be just and fear not”

Comment

Yes, Jack Londons People of the Abyss would be ideal.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                        X