Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Railway tracks- his entry and exit strategy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railway tracks- his entry and exit strategy ?

I have been looking at this map:

Just look at how the railway of the time pretty much circles the hunting ground, as the M25 circles London today.

Perhaps the railways were his means of evading capture. In the small hours when he liked to strike he would need only to gain the railway tracks to be safe. No street lighting to worry about. No railway lighting either, and no trains moving at that time.

The murder at Buck’s Row was right beside a railway track. From Dutfield’s Yard he would need to travel a short distance South. From the crime scenes of Hanbury St, Miller’s Court, George Yard Building’s and Mitre Square he would need to travel to the West, or North West before shortly finding sanctuary.

He may even have entered the hunting ground by these routes under cover of darkness, stashing some soap, water, and a change of clothes along the way – behind a tree or a signal box perhaps. It clearly would have been a longer walk home than using the roads and streets, but he was very unlikely to found on these routes.

The routes would be perfect if our boy lived outside the hunting ground as some think, and close by the railway line some distance away.
    It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Interesting hypothesis, Ashkenaz, its most obvious flaw being that an overwhelming majority of streets off the main thoroughfares were woefully ill-lit, a deficiency that stimulated no little complaint amongst local residents at the time of the murders.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
      Interesting hypothesis, Ashkenaz, its most obvious flaw being that an overwhelming majority of streets off the main thoroughfares were woefully ill-lit, a deficiency that stimulated no little complaint amongst local residents at the time of the murders.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
      Is it really a flaw ? Yes most streets were not lit/well lit. But if he was likely to be arrested after a crime, it was likely to be on the streets somewhere. In avoiding the streets he was avoiding the police, unless od course they were also searching along the railway tracks. But our guy was fast on his feet, and if he was using the railway lines, he likely had dens along the way.

Maybe this is how he was never discovered despite the police responses, and vigilance committees.

Comment

Hi, Just an opinion but if the victims were at random I would think that as JTRs risk of being caught increases the safest thing to do would be to murder closer then closer to the escape route. The railway escape route would in my opinion only be a possibility if the victims were targets. Personally, I think the escape route was an afterthought, the job in hand was his focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashkenaz View Post
          Is it really a flaw ? Yes most streets were not lit/well lit. But if he was likely to be arrested after a crime, it was likely to be on the streets somewhere. In avoiding the streets he was avoiding the police, unless od course they were also searching along the railway tracks. But our guy was fast on his feet, and if he was using the railway lines, he likely had dens along the way.

Maybe this is how he was never discovered despite the police responses, and vigilance committees.
          The night of the Double Event would seem to discount the idea that the Ripper avoided the streets. The timing between the killing of Kate Eddowes and the finding of her apron in Goulston Street (whether or not he wrote the graffitti) indicates that, as incredible as it sounds, he was ducking and dodging from place to place in the midst of a police dragnet like some kind of Victorian ninja, remaining in the area rather than fleeing via the railroad. Also, if he did indeed kill Liz Stride earlier that night, he did not head for the relatively nearby railroad afterwards but headed deeper into the streets. As I've stated several times, I think Jack was a major adrenaline junkie and got off on the thrill of playing cat and mouse with the police, probably not seeking it out but loving the rush whenever it happened.

And incidentally, I couldn't help notice that with this post I have reached the milestone of 600!

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
            The night of the Double Event would seem to discount the idea that the Ripper avoided the streets.
            He could not entirely avoid the streets of course. That was where the victims were to be found ! But once he has murdered a victim, he would need to get to safety asap.

I am suggesting that perhaps, after a murder he withdrew to the nearest railway line and went home that way. He would of course follow the railway line until he was out of the hunting ground some distance away. Perhaps he lived near the railway line, so home was a short hop from the line. It would only really make sense if he did not live in the hunting ground.

The timing between the killing of Kate Eddowes and the finding of her apron in Goulston Street (whether or not he wrote the graffitti) indicates that, as incredible as it sounds, he was ducking and dodging from place to place in the midst of a police dragnet like some kind of Victorian ninja, remaining in the area rather than fleeing via the railroad.
            Perhaps after killing Liz he was disturbed and fled. He may have been frustrated at not procuring organs and so needed another victim. Perhaps after Eddowes murder he left the area via the railway line.

As I've stated several times, I think Jack was a major adrenaline junkie and got off on the thrill of playing cat and mouse with the police, probably not seeking it out but loving the rush whenever it happened.
            I agree he was a adrenaline junkie. I also believe he was impulsive, and had difficulty controling it from time to time.

And incidentally, I couldn't help notice that with this post I have reached the milestone of 600!
            Congrats !

Comment

A major problem is that many of the railway routes throughout the East End run on raised embankments well above the street. Access to the railway was also difficult due to the generally well maintained fencing.

Victorian railways in urban areas were always well secured against the risk of theft. Train crews, signalmen, and particularly track maintenance 'lengthmen' would all have put Jack at risk of detection especially if he left 'stashes' of clothing around.

Comment

Hi all,
                Perhaps there was a clue in the Dear Boss letter

" I have laughed when they look so clever and talk about being on the right track."

Comment

I do not think so. Here are the tracks indicated on the 1888 directory map. Dave
                  Attached Files
                  We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashkenaz View Post
                    I have been looking at this map:

Just look at how the railway of the time pretty much circles the hunting ground, as the M25 circles London today.

Perhaps the railways were his means of evading capture. In the small hours when he liked to strike he would need only to gain the railway tracks to be safe. No street lighting to worry about. No railway lighting either, and no trains moving at that time.

The murder at Buck’s Row was right beside a railway track. From Dutfield’s Yard he would need to travel a short distance South. From the crime scenes of Hanbury St, Miller’s Court, George Yard Building’s and Mitre Square he would need to travel to the West, or North West before shortly finding sanctuary.

He may even have entered the hunting ground by these routes under cover of darkness, stashing some soap, water, and a change of clothes along the way – behind a tree or a signal box perhaps. It clearly would have been a longer walk home than using the roads and streets, but he was very unlikely to found on these routes.

The routes would be perfect if our boy lived outside the hunting ground as some think, and close by the railway line some distance away.
                    Hi Ashkenaz, i grew up in the East End,getting on the railway tracks was very differcult but not impossible.I supose in 1888 it was much easier to get on the railway tracks than nowadays.I have always thought that Jack used the railway tracks to get around the Whitechapel area and to hide from the police.IF my memory does not fail me,i read somewhere that at the time of the murders,someone spotted a man walking along the railway tracks at night carrying a large knife.I do think that Jack useing the railway tracks would help him be more discreat. I remember as a kid, it did not matter were you was in the area,you would never be too far from the railway tracks, all the best,Agur.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                      Perhaps there was a clue in the Dear Boss letter

" I have laughed when they look so clever and talk about being on the right track."
                      Excellent, spyglass, just excellent.

Comment

There are some practical problems with running down a railway track in pitch black. The surface is uneven, with a shoulderof ballast made from irregular stone, with the rails and sleepers at the top, and a cess either side. He would have had to avoid the tensioned signal wires that ran through ankle height pulleys to activate the moving arm signals, drainage pits, milage markers, switches and crossings, and other obstacles. It is a possibility, but it is also a very easy way to catch a broken neck or broken leg.

I am unsure if, as happens today, the railway infrastructure would be repaired and maintained at night during times when no trains were running. Or if post trains would run inthose dark hours. But i suspect the line would not be entirely abandoned.
                        There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
                          There are some practical problems with running down a railway track in pitch black. The surface is uneven, with a shoulderof ballast made from irregular stone, with the rails and sleepers at the top, and a cess either side. He would have had to avoid the tensioned signal wires that ran through ankle height pulleys to activate the moving arm signals, drainage pits, milage markers, switches and crossings, and other obstacles. It is a possibility, but it is also a very easy way to catch a broken neck or broken leg.
                          Yes there are obstacles trackside, but there are none to be found right between the rails. The part he would wish to walk on is not uneven. The sleepers are all arranged carefully to be at the same height, so that the rails will be at the same height.

The sleepers are a stride apart too making for comfortable walking. I doubt if it ever gets so dark as the worn-shiny rails cannot be seen by star light.

Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
                          I am unsure if, as happens today, the railway infrastructure would be repaired and maintained at night during times when no trains were running. Or if post trains would run inthose dark hours. But i suspect the line would not be entirely abandoned.
                          I think most of the murders were committed at weekends in the hours of darkness. It would probably cost the railway company more money to repair and maintain the line at these time. Lighting would ned to be provided to work with, and employees perhaps would need to be paid at time and a half, or perhaps even double time for weekend working. If this was so, then Jack would have known that the track would be lonesome at those times.

Comment

Ah now the centre of the tracks may not have been free from obstacles. I think that we are looking too early for may of the modern detritus between sleepers, but there may have been axle counters, tredles, catch pits, switch and crossing mechanisms, not to mentionthe afore mentioned ballast, and uneven surfaces.

If there was a hint of frost or rain and Jack stepped on a sleeper once in the dark he would be on his arse. I have managed this a few times with a torch and headlamp, so doing it blind is a garuntee of a good bruise.
                            There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

How would he have got from and to the railway line by Whitechapel station in connection with the Nichols/Bucks Row murder?

I assume that the originator of this thread knows the situation at that point and can provide a ready solution?

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X