Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The REAL origin of the term Jack the Ripper ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The REAL origin of the term Jack the Ripper ?

Well, here I just was trawling through sites looking for images of Victorian groom's knives ,for a PM to see if the measurements would agree or not with the victim's wounds..and all of a sudden the most horrible shiver ran through Me and I had to sit back.;

Those 'typical' folding knives used by horse men and hunters were known as
    'JACK knives' (it shouldn't have been a surprise because they were known as that well into the 20th century -although I think of them as 'Switch Blades'-
    and of couse the term 'To Jack Knife' has passed into the language concerning traffic accidents with articulated lorries etc.

The penny suddenly dropped for me though that 'Jack' in the letter, is not referring to a person, but the actual knife itself.
    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Hi all, the term 'Jack the Ripper' probably came about because of John/Jack Pizer and the fact that 'Rip' as in 'Rip her up' was an extremely common term of the time. The name was ingenius, but quite simple in its construction.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I really don't know anything anymore Tom..as you will know from the Dear Boss thread, I've never believed in the letters one bit..I might have to think again though, about 'Dear Boss'..

Of course the terms Rip and 'Rip her Up' surely come from the root that you say ..

But I think that Jack' may very well come from 'Jack Knife', and if ever 'Dear Boss' DID come from the killer -which I'm dubious about, but will now spend alot more attention on it. IF it did, then that has some important implications for us
      ..one it would tell us the type of knife used in the murder
      ..and it would tell us that JtR personified that knife and deplaced the acts of murder onto the knife, and didn't take full responsibility for his acts himself.
      ..it would hint that he was obsessed with the knife, and his using it, rather than an obsession with his victims...

just some immediate thoughts..

ps If 'Dear Boss' came from the killer, then he wanted the fame and glory of the murders..why would he want to deplace them onto John Pizer -who had been discounted anyway ? Of course if Dear Boss isa fake, then that is another matter, and it may be so..
      Last edited by Rubyretro; 09-14-2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Hi all, the term 'Jack the Ripper' probably came about because of John/Jack Pizer and the fact that 'Rip' as in 'Rip her up' was an extremely common term of the time.
        It seems unlikely to me that Pizer was the inspiration for the name, considering that he had been officially cleared a fortnight before the appearance of the "Dear Boss" letter (and was only rarely referred to as 'Jack' rather than 'John').

Comment

He was cleared how many days before Sept. 25th?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi All,

Doctor Llewellyn had thoughts on the subject of jack knives.

The Times, 1st September 1888–

Click image for larger version

Name:	JACK KNIFE TIMES 01 SEPT 1888.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	660733

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Seriously, I've forgotten how long a fortnight is. It's not a word we use at all in America. People tell me from time to time, but I always forget.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

fortnight

Hello Tom. A fortnight is 2 weeks.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Hello All,

I may be wrong but I remember reading once that "Jack" was the same as the modern day term of "John Doe"?
                  Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Pizer was released on 11 September, Aaron Kozminski's birthday. ("Fortnight" is short for "Fourteen nights.")

Comment

Thanks for that. But what day did Pizer appear at the Chapman inquest to publicly clear himself?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        Thanks for that. But what day did Pizer appear at the Chapman inquest to publicly clear himself?
                        The following day, the 12 September.

(Or according to the A-Z, the following month, the 11 October.)

Comment

You know, I was really looking forward to the arrival of the new A-Z. Now, not so much. It's a sad day in Ripperdom when it becomes increasingly obvious that three of our brightest stars should have employed the services of a fact-checker prior to publishing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                            You know, I was really looking forward to the arrival of the new A-Z. Now, not so much. It's a sad day in Ripperdom when it becomes increasingly obvious that three of our brightest stars should have employed the services of a fact-checker prior to publishing.
                            Or, should not have rejected those services when they were offered ...

Comment

Just to say, that waking up this morning, I'm no longer covinced by 'Jack the Knife' at all ! ..what a shame, it felt so lovely to have 'discovered' something for all of five minutes !

I am not convinced by 'Dear Boss' anyhow...

Comment

Working...
                              X