Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR Tours

Hi all.....

Can anyone recommend a JTR tour....I'm in London in a couple of weeks...

Thanks in advance...

Try this recent thread: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=4925

Comment

Fleetwood Mac, a great band ...

I recently did a JTR walk which I believe is one of the best.
      'LONDON WALKS' telephone 02076243978
      With Donald Rumbelow, a foremost British crime historian.
      No booking required, turn up at Tower Hill tube to be ready for
      a 7.30pm start.
      I phoned London Walks first to find out what nights Donald would
      be doing.
      If you are interested he has his books with him for sale and will
      sign them for you.
      As for popularity it was a Sunday night ..our group had about
      50 people .. we passed two other tours with groups of around 10.
      "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
      of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

Concur

Originally posted by Victoria View Post
        I recently did a JTR walk which I believe is one of the best.
        'LONDON WALKS' telephone 02076243978
        With Donald Rumbelow, a foremost British crime historian.
        No booking required, turn up at Tower Hill tube to be ready for
        a 7.30pm start.
        I phoned London Walks first to find out what nights Donald would
        be doing.
        If you are interested he has his books with him for sale and will
        sign them for you.
        As for popularity it was a Sunday night ..our group had about
        50 people .. we passed two other tours with groups of around 10.
        Yes in my opinion you will get the most out of Don's tour and anyone wishing to go on one should go with him.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.....I'm in Londond this week....so will try the Rumbelow one....cheers

Comment

Hello Mac, all,

pardon me for hijacking this thread with my questions but I've always wondered about how the people of the East End view these tours, especially those who live or work near one of the murder sites.

I've also heard that Ripper tourists aren't really welcome in the Ten Bells anymore, is that true?

Regards,

Boris
            ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

When I was in London on vacation two years ago I attended the Jack the Ripper Exposition at the Museum in Docklands and they had had several video loops playing there. One of them was on this very subject, and eastenders being interviewed seemed to be evenly split over the pros and cons of how it was good for the local economy vs. the exploiting of real peoples' violent deaths. Some were appalled at it, others had no problem, so the controversy is definitely there.

I went into the Ten Bells on that trip also. The barman more or less gave me the silent treatment on JTR, saying only that I was only the second person he'd ever heard ask about it. I found that highly unlikely. At the Happy Days fish and chip shop however (which is today at what was the spot where the "Juwes" writing was found), when I asked them if they get many Ripper questions they smiled and got very animated. "Yes we do," they said, pointing at the entrance, "because THAT'S THE DOOR!"

Comment

Get your own information and map and..................do the tour yourself very late at night or preferably in the early hours of the morning between midnight and 5.00 a.m.

It's really not that hard to do and it's MUCH better than going along on 'professional' tour with a dozen or more people all following like sheep.
                Last edited by Red Zeppelin; 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Although I've privately been around all the scenes, today we went on a tour, to see what they were like. It was a London Walks one (without Donald Rumbelow). A good 100 people showed up even though the Tower Hill tube station wasn't working. They split the group in two as they had two guides. I guess they must know how many to expect roughly. I am sure that quite a few didn't pay in the general confusion!
                  We also passed three other smaller tours. I reckon from Tower Hill alone over 150 people were out on tours. Clearly big business!
                  The tour itself wasn't bad - a few factual errors, but also a couple of new things to look into.
                  I found it strange that it ended opposite Spitalfields Church. To a foreign tourist that woukd be unsettling I would expect. I had to walk back to find my car!
                  Here's a photo - before latecomers turned up...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hey going to my first pilgrimage to Whitechapel in a few weeks, want to know whats the best tour and if there is any other Ripper realted places that I should go to outside the tour and murder sites. Thanks .

Comment

I do my own Ripper walks. I don't charge, just a beer and maybe chip in for a curry. I did one last night for 11 people, it's usually work colleagues, friends, I've done a couple for soldiers, my brother works for the army.

I do it like this, meet at Whitechapel, Bucks Row, down to Gunthorpe Street, across to Thrawl Street, into The Pride Of Spitalfields pub on Heneage Street, quick pint. Onto Hanbury Street, where I also talk about Stride. Onto The Still And Star pub for a quick pint.

Then we do Mitre Sq and go back to White's Row, then either go return to The Pride Of Spitalfields and then a curry in The Monsoon, or we go to Dirty Dick's pub opposite Liverpool Street.

The biggest party I ever did was for 36. I'm good at retelling the tale but nowhere in the league of the pro's mind you. I love doing it and have three booked for February already! As I said I don't charge, it's just a cracking night out and people seem to enjoy it.

Last night I had the honour of passing Donald Rumbelow, I was leaving Mitre Sq as he was arriving, he had a huge crowd as well, I gave him a friendly hello and he nodded back, one of my heroes and I still think his, Complete Jack The Ripper is still the best book on the subject.

Comment

You know, if you cut out the Still & Star (although that is a cute little pub) you could use the extra time to go to Henriques Street. Still, it sounds as though you do a fine tour. Wouldn't mind being on it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                          You know, if you cut out the Still & Star (although that is a cute little pub) you could use the extra time to go to Henriques Street. Still, it sounds as though you do a fine tour. Wouldn't mind being on it myself.
                          I have considered that but I've been doing the walks for nearly 5 years now and they've kind of settled into this pattern. You are more than welcome to join me, just drop me a PM when you are available. Bear in mind, I'm not in the same league as the real pro's just do it for a bit of entertainment for the people.

I don't pretend to know all the facts but I do get by.

Comment

Working...
                          X