most unlikely ripper theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• most unlikely ripper theory

what is the most unlikely you have heard and who is the most unlikely suspect

I've heard a lot of rumours about a suspect named "nugnug" but, personally, I put little faith in them.

Comment

I saw a programme that seriously put forward Queen Victoria as a suspect

Comment

GM I have heard those rumors as well, and one called the Nug Nug conspiracy theory which claims to use finger painted pictures as evidence! Dave
        We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Queen Victoria could have done it to protect Eddy. She had a lot of moxie.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

How about Doctor Mopp from Camberwick Green. Or was it Trumpton?
            Look at the evidence:
            • Anatomical knowledge and probable surgical skill
            • Adopted a disguise in everyday life (heavy rimmed glasses which he clearly did not need as they had no lenses, and an obvious false beard)
            • Gladstone bag
            • Top hat
            • Bachelor and therefore able to come and go as he pleased
            • Probable inability to sustain a conventional sexual relationship
            • Position of trust due to occupation
            • As a medico, would undoubtedly have had London connections and may have been a student in the capital
            • Propensity to hark back to his days as the Ripper through deliberately anachronistic dress, choice of car, house etc.
            • Ability to lurk in shadows and go about undetected by virtue of being about ten inches tall
            • Silent tread as shoes made of sponge
            • Unable to incriminate self as voice inaudible to all but Brian Cant
            Alright, it's all circumstantial but these things add up. Just ask Patricia Cornwell.

Best wishes,
            Steve.

Comment

Hmm....it would probably have to be the theory that Jack was not a human, but rather some sort of supernatural force. That, or the Queen Victoria theory. There's many of them though, and they would all be comical if it wasn't such a serious accusation.

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

For me, the most completely ridiculous Ripper hypothesis (though there are lots of them) that's been published has to be the one about Lewis Carroll, which is even is more unbelievable than the Prince Eddy/Royal Conspiracy theory. At least those ideas, even though untrue, add a degree of intrigue to the case and make an interesting story.
                I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                  Look at the evidence:
                  • Adopted a disguise in everyday life (heavy rimmed glasses which he clearly did not need as they had no lenses, and an obvious false beard)
                  • Gladstone bag
                  • Top hat
                  • As a medico, would undoubtedly have had London connections and may have been a student in the capital
                  • Propensity to hark back to his days as the Ripper through deliberately anachronistic dress, choice of car, house etc.
                  • Ability to lurk in shadows and go about undetected by virtue of being about ten inches tall
                  Alright, it's all circumstantial but these things add up. Just ask Patricia Cornwell.

Best wishes,
                  Steve.
                  Post of the year.

Honourable mention for Tony Williams' Uncle Jack theory, which despite some glaring ommisions and, ahem, questionable additions (dissapearing documents anyone?) was at least reading pretty well (which is very different to standing up to scrutiny, cf. Stephen Knight) until he suddenly goes completely barking and attempts to shoehorn Williams into MJK/Barnett's tale about her alleged trip to Paris and Davies the collier, and all of a sudden Kelly and Williams are having an affair taking them all over Europe. Not quite up to Cornwell standards, but it's a good 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                    There's many of them though, and they would all be comical if it wasn't such a serious accusation.
                    The movie 'Amazon Women Of The Moon' proposes the theory that the Loch Ness Monster was the culprit. I seem to recall there's a scene in which the huge reptile can be seen sneaking through the streets of Whitechapel disguised in Victorian attire.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotland Yard View Post
                      The movie 'Amazon Women Of The Moon' proposes the theory that the Loch Ness Monster was the culprit. I seem to recall there's a scene in which the huge reptile can be seen sneaking through the streets of Whitechapel disguised in Victorian attire.
                      What an amazing coincidence! I'm working on a short monograph which will prove beyond doubt that the LNM was actually JtR. My theory is rendered totally watertight as I can prove that no-one ever saw the Monster anywhere near Loch Ness on murder nights. Plus a 4 foot diameter top-hat was ordered in early 1888 from a reputable company in Inverness, whose records survive and are complete.

Case closed, far as I'm concerned.

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                        Look at the evidence:
                        • Gladstone bag
                        • Top hat

Best wishes,
                        Steve.
                        Hi Steve,

A very persuasive argument you make for Doctor Mopp of Camberwick Green, I think that you may just have convinced me! I first became interested in the ripper, many years ago, after reading a book which claimed that Lord Belborough, of Winkstead Hall, Chigley was the real ripper, assisted by his butler Brackett and Mr Bilton his gardener. I can't remember the exact details, but it was all something to do with the Freemasons. This theory has of course been thoroughly debunked, but I think that there still remains a suspicion about Mr Bilton. Notice how he seems obsessed with "Hoes". "Always busy with a hoe" he sings, and his references to going "dutch hoing", an area for further research I think!

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                        And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                        With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                        And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Has anyone ever put The Elephant Man forward as a likely candidate...lived in the area...wore a mask when going out!!

I remember that film featuring the Lockness Monster as JTR, had me in fits ha ha ha! (as Maybrick once wrote.)

Comment

[QUOTE=spyglass;141647]Has anyone ever put The Elephant Man forward as a likely candidate...lived in the area...wore a mask when going out!!QUOTE]

Many a true word is spoken in jest, Spyglass - indeed they did, although I don't think anyone ever went far enough to publish anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                              Has anyone ever put The Elephant Man forward as a likely candidate...lived in the area...wore a mask when going out!!

I remember that film featuring the Lockness Monster as JTR, had me in fits ha ha ha! (as Maybrick once wrote.)
                              Yes, John Merrick, a.k.a The Elephant Man has been put forward as a candidate for "Saucy Jack" but I still think that Dr Mopp, Mr Bilton or the Loch Ness Monster are looking like the most credible suspects!

Zodiac.
                              And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                              With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                              And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Working...
                              X