Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Lodging Houses in H Division, 1888

Hello all,

With the help of Dicken's Dictionary of London, 1888, published by Old House Books, edition from 1993, though originally from 1888, I thought that I would present a list of Common Lodging Houses that pertained to H division.

All of these, in fact all Common Lodging houses were under Police supervision, with every room being inspected and measured before occupation was allowed. At a price of 4d per night (4 old pennies, £sd currency), the poorest places, like the one at St.Georges Chambers, St.Georges St, Radcliff Highway, were relatively comfortable.

H division, Common Lodging Houses

Flower and Dean Street, Dorset Street, Paternoster Row, Thrawl Street, Brick Lane, Princes Street, White's Row, Hanbury Street, George Street, Pearl Street, Wentworth Street, Heneage Street, Brushfield Street, Wheeler St,
    Mount Street.

All of the above coming under Christchurch Parish.

Nicoll's Row, White Street, Church Street,

These come under the Parish of Bethnall Green.

Wellclose Square, Leman Street, Osbourne Place, Well Street, Dock Street,
    Grace's Alley, Bull Street.

These adhere to the Parish of Whitechapel.

Hare Alley, Boundary Street.

These come under Shoreditch Parish.

Gunn Street

This lone CLH is the only one in H division that adheres to the Parish of the Old Artillery Ground.

St George's Street, Ship Alley, Princess Square, Cable Street, North-East Passage, Radcliff Street, Pell Street.

These belong to the Parish of St.Georges East.

London Street, Stepney Causeway, Broad Street, Narrow Street.

The above come under Ratcliff Parish.

High Street, Cable Street, King David's Lane, Baroda Place.

All these come under Shadwell Parish.

Turner Street, Lucas Street, Commercial Road, Greenfield Street, Lady Lake's Grove.

All under Mile End Old Town Parish

and finally, completing the list under the jurisdiction of H division, the following pertaining to Wapping Parish...

East Smithfield, Upper Well-Alley, St.George's Street.

Other CLH's (Common Lodging Houses) were found within the same or adjoining areas as the above, but were under the jurisdiction of other Police Divisions. Shoreditch Parish for example, was mainly under B Division, yet Dunston Street CLH pertained to J division. Other CLH's in Bethnall Green came under J division as well.

Perhaps the above may be of some use or interest.

best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 06-26-2010, 05:17 AM.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Good stuff, Phil--it's one hell of a list, isn't it? I need a lie down just looking at it Thanks.
    best,

claire

Comment

Here are placemarks for the streets save mount street which I think is north of my detailed overlays. Dave
      Attached Files
      Last edited by protohistorian; 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM. Reason: what do you think?
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

Hello Dave,

Once again, you have come up trumps.

My sincerest thanks. Gives a real sense of location, all of these being under Christchurch Parish. Excellent Dave!

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

hold on there pilgrim!

We might need some clarification. Some of these streets are far apart. Here is a pic with leman indicated to give an idea. It very well could be as you have said. One thing I have learned from working with the postal directory is that we do not think like Victorians. Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

Leman Street

Hello Dave,

Yes indeed, and when you consider the CLH's under Whitechapel Parish..

Wellclose Square, Leman Street, Osbourne Place, Well Street, Dock Street,
            Grace's Alley, Bull Street.

this includes Leman St.

It is a pretty tight spread, all Parishes considered..

Many thanks again Dave, it is giving me some thought, especially in connection to the testimony of the Lodging House fellow and John Kelly after the Mitre Square business.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

No worries, let me know if there is something else you want to see.Dave

Comment

Give me a few days Phil and I will post all of them. I am having some issues and I am trying hard to wrap up another poject, but I will get it done. Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,

No problems, take your time. Many thanks for your efforts that man. It is very much appreciated.

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Here you go Phil. There are a couple I could not find. Also white street probably means whites row, as the only white street I could find is an outlyer to the north and east of the main cluster. Also I have a hare street but no hare alley? Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X