Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpretation and inspiration.

Hello all,

It is a human trait to ask "why?" on almost any subject. Children, around the age of 5 or 6, start to ask "why Mummy?, why Daddy?" and most parents will patiently, in a simple way, explain the reasons for A or B being a fact, or A or B being decided. There are some parents of course, who will answer with "because I said so" or suchlike. So we have been brought up on the bottle of curiosity. Some of us develop our sense of the curious with reading, hunting, finding out, discussing, arguing and even demonstrating against in order to find out what we wish to learn more of. Some even become politicians, some watch television, others listen to radio. Whichever way we turn our interest, we are affected by those expert commentators on a subject which can sway us in one direction or another. When we become in posession of knowledge and express it, we ourselves become the "listened to", the "read".

In our developed mind, we find we have the urge to defend arguments, even prolong and protract them, for the idea or cause in which we believe is correct. Something internal drives us along. So much so it can become a process to lead to utter conviction that one is standing on the side of "the truth", or the "real" facts. We have all seen this, throught our lives, demonstrated clearly in one form or another. The subject of Ripperology is no exception.

In this 21st Century, we have at our fingertips oceans of imformation that was never available for anyone connected to the ongoings of the Late Victorian Period. We can research and present articles from nigh on every major newspaper worldwide, all at the touch of a plastic button. The world of the Victorian scribe opens up before our very eyes. Verbal reminiscences too are questioned by us all. Scribes, in the form of the journalist or author are dissected. Some of them had their own reasons for writing, embellishing and even inventing things in print. Even the statements of the police, doctors, coroners and witnesses, along with the political hierarchy and the political establishment, all these people and their reasonings, are put into question and under the microscope. All of these things, leads that curiosity in us, all the more baffled.

Where opinion becomes divided with our world of historians, writers, researchers, enthusiasts and the idly curious, is how we interpret the facts before us. Some will stick to the written word of the official documents and nothing else. Some will allow certain press reports to be considered. Others will allow the majority of all press reports into the mix. Whatever degree we use as our personal yardstick, interpretation is individual by its very nature. That interpretation leads to suggestion. These suggestions will themselves be the subject of interpretation. Conclusions will be drawn, and the writer who originally made the suggestion, will rightly or wrongly, become catagorised and put into his or her designated box, complete with label. We have all done it, and some, if not most have fallen victim to this form of sentencing.

It is very very difficult to not have opinion and remain totally neutral, especially in Ripperology, where so much of the original information is either missing, stolen, destroyed, lied about, falsified or (thankfully rarely), made up. I am, personally, "open to persuasion but not easily persuaded" by any particular theory of any particular suspect. Of course, we all lean in certain directions and consequently away from others, but we like to ask questions, and bring in possibilities. It may not be solid, but a small nugget now and then can always be deemed useful for collective consideration. A good few individuals have his or her "niche", and within the complexity of this case, that isn't such a bad thing. Others take a a more general overview and others want to know something about everything. I take my hat off to one and all.

People we may have very little contact with, occasionally single one out and ask a question or even ask for help. In return we ask for questions and help of others. This is the way Ripperology, in the 21st Century, should be. I think it a great pleasure to share correspondance with established author, historian, researcher, the curious and the newbie alike, for one thing we all share is our time. Whether we agree or disagree, time is a precious commodity that is being given. I thank all for sharing their time. It simply inspires.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hello Phil.

I think you've expressed yourself very well and I agree with what you said.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Best regards,
    Archaic

Comment

Wonderful post; I agree as well...
      Cheers,
      cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Excellent words, my dear sir.
        "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Hello Archaic, cappucina, Madam Red,

Many thanks to you all for the kind words. They are most appreciated. Thank you.

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            I think it a great pleasure to share correspondance with established author, historian, researcher, the curious and the newbie alike, for one thing we all share is our time.
            Phil,

You never contacted me or the late David Radka once. We could have set you straight a long time ago.

Comment

Hello Scott,

I will, don't worry. No point in contacting all the quality all at once, is there?

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil,

I find your explanation very intriguing, because I have recently written a book on the subject (at least part of the book). Truth can be approached at different angles, and as you are explaining why human beings make the decision to accept a claim/argument as true (or not), I approached it from how the human brain does this based upon cognitive neuroscience. Currently, I am frustrated because it seems to be stalled at the publishing company.

Sincerely,

Mike
                The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your comments and your observations. I am far from being knowledgable in the area, but correct me if I am wrong, for as I understand the concept, cognitive neuroscience itself is an area which is only relatively recently being developed and researched to it's fullest capacity?

In the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, March 2009, in an article written by Karuna Subramaniam, John Kounios, Todd B. Parrish, and Mark Jung-Beeman entitled

"A Brain Mechanism for Facilitation of Insight by Positive Affect"
                  it states..

Previous research has shown that people solve insight or creative problems better when in a positive mood (assessed or induced), although the precise mechanisms and neural substrates of this facilitation remain unclear.
                  A suggestion connected perhaps to logical positivism and/or positive logicalism?

Now this is far advanced of course from the way I presented it in reference to how we are fed to question from childhood. However, I do believe that the intellectual stimulć we encounter throughout our childhood does reflect when we ourselves become of "grown-up" mind and in turn are able to answer the "why" questions put before us.
                  Of course, this aspect is only part of my original posting, but is certainly most interesting. I wish you every success with your book Mike!

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil,

The title of this particular chapter is, “The Hearth has Reasons that Reason Ignores”, which is a quote from Blaise Pascal. Cognitive neuroscientists, such as Benedetto de Martino, Antonio Damasio, and a professor Simón, have recently been discovering cognitive processes in the brain during decision-making with fMRI data. Basically, they are observing the blood flow patterns in the brain, which show the parts of the brain being used during particular decision-making processes. They are discovering how the affective (emotional) components of the mind interact with the cognitive (intellectual) components of the brain. The results are exciting, and I break it down into the process of believing and the process of knowing. Things I discuss are nature vs. nurture (as you have alluded to) and hardwiring of the brain, wishful thinking, confirmation bias, and cognitive dissonance/resonance. Ultimately, the affective component is a roadblock to truth. I have more!

Sincerely,

Mike
                    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Hello Mike,

Very interesting indeed. If you would be so kind as to email me your thoughts on nature v nurture, I would be most interested and give it some reading time over the weekend. I am most thankful for the response.

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

interpretation

Hello Phil. You are quite right about interpretation. Much depends on our point of view and gestalt switches undergone--if any.

The ancient Chinese divided the world into 2 broad categories--that which belongs to the Emperor, and everything else. My old ontology prof would do experiments with coloured figures like this. Consider a red square and a blue circle. Now add a red circle. Does it go with the first or the second? If you're like John Locke and see figure as a primary quality and colour a secondary, you will place it with the other circle. But if you see colour as more immediate than shape, the converse judgment will be evinced. Perhaps a third category should be used?

Well spoke Phil.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Thank you kindly Lynn.
                          Marvellous example you gave there. The third catagory I suppose, in order of preference, would be size? Texture/material used? Known age?
                          Therefore an interpretation is concluded that from whichever standpoint we start, and our interpretation of relative knowledge in relation to any given theme, is deduced. Here, one's background is taken into consideration through influence. This is where the "possibilities seen" come into play, as I believe you indicated with the question mark after the suggestion of the third catagory. Most interesting.

best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil that was a epically beautiful and brilliant post,and i enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Working...
                            X