Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A piece of news from a museum.

Hello all,

I am not aware that this detail has been posted before, apologies if it has.

I recieved a very kind email from the present Trust Archivist of the Royal London Hospital Archives and Museum this week, Mr. Jonathan Evans, answering my enquiry as to the remaining photographic copies and sketches held at the museum.

I quote hereunder part of his reply..

The photos in Royal London Hospital Archives file number MC/PM/5/2/5 are copy prints stamped with City of London Police Photographic Department stamps stating that they were copied on 27 April 1966: they are not the original photographs. They were, we believe, copied at the request of Professor Francis E. Camps, a forensic pathologist at The London Hospital who published an article on the Whitechapel Murders ('More about the Ripper', London Hospital Gazette, 1966). There are 2 copes of the same photo of the body of Martha Tabram; 4 mortuary photographic views of the body of Catherine Eddowes and 4 copies of a single the body of Mary Kelly, photographed at the scene of the crime. These images have been published in a number of books about the murders but as far as I am aware the copyright in the prints of the City of London Police Photographic Department has not yet expired. The original photographs have been transferred to The National Archives
    my emphasis

The main reason for my emphasis is the date of the photographic copies. 27th April 1966. Interesting to note as well that they originate, stamped, from the City of London Police Photographic Department. It was known that the Kelly photograph was found within this district, but I for one was unaware that the Tabram photograph was in the hands of the Met Police at some time.

I thought I would share this with you all, if any were unaware of the above.

I kindly thank Mr. Evans for his reply and his help in providing this information.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hi, Phil.

This is most interesting; thanks for sharing it.

Best regards,
    Archaic
    Last edited by Archaic; 04-11-2010, 03:29 AM.

Comment

That is interesting. Camps did some work on this didn't he?

Comment

Working...
      X