The visions of T Ross Scott of the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The visions of T Ross Scott of the Ripper

I don't remember seeing this on Casebook before. It is part of a longer article which I will post when done.
    make of it what you will...
    Chris

Local Government Gazette
    19 Sept 1889

26 Queen's Crescent, Edinburgh.
    Sept. 11 1889.

Dear Sir,
    I have again had a most extraordinary dream, the particulars of which, considering the great interest you have all along taken in the matter, I think it is only fair to forward you. I copy the following. word for word, from the notes I made shortly after rising in the morning:-
    "Tuesday, Sept. 10, 1889, 8.30 a.m.
    Came upstairs last night about 9.30. Tried to read some physiology, but somehow could not settle down to it. Laid the book aside about an hour afterwards and write several letters. Became more and more restless as the night went on. retired to bed at 1.30 this morning, but for a long while lay quite awake. The last thing I remember was looking at my watch, the hands of which pointed to five minutes to three. I then fell asleep. Gradually buildings seemed to rise on every side, and I appeared to be walking along a somewhat broad street, the features of which, however, I was unable to see distinctly owing to the darkness of the night. While proceeding on my way I became conscious of the presence of someone, and glancing up observed a tall, dark figure rapidly approaching me. In his right hand the stranger held a large carpet bag, which apparently he had considerable difficulty in carrying. As he passed he turned his head towards me. and I immediately recognised him as the 'surgeon' of my two previous dreams! In vain I tried to reach him. He again had his eyes fixed on me. I was totally unable to move. Just then I awoke, struggling violently and completely exhausted. The time by my watch was 5.11."

Now, sir, taking into consideration my first dream, I am strongly inclined to believe that the Whitechapel murderer has at some time undergone a medical training, and that during his 'lucid intervals' he is not in London at all, but acts as surgeon on board some small vessel. Viewing the matter in this light, I feel almost convinced that the individual seen by you on Monday, August 19, was the genuine murderer. He may only have arrived in London a short time previous to you seeing him; as nothing was heard of him until then this seems highly probable. The latest crime is the most daring of the series, and naturally he would require a longer time to prepare for it. A fortnight elapses, and then mysterious writings are seen on a wall in Brunswick Street, Islington. These warnings seem to be characteristic of the human fiend, and it is greatly to be regretted that the police have always thought so lightly of them. On Tuesday, Sept. 10, another body is found, but the infamous scoundrel has disappeared as mysteriously as before.
    Now, if my supposition as to his occupation during the interval which elapses between each of the murders be correct, searching for him at present is probably useless. He lays his plans too well to be caught napping, and doubtless he leaves London immediately after each of the murders. If he is to be discovered, I believe it must be either before or during the time he is engaged on his ghastly work.
    Be that as it may, however, one point remains which is of the utmost importance - namely, our duty in the matter. These visions have appeared much too often to be quietly passed over as an idle dream, and the circumstances surrounding each of them only tend to increase their significance. The face of this 'dream man' has firmly impressed itself on our memories - we could recognise it anywhere with the greatest promptitude and ease. Now, in the event of such recognition in a creature of flesh and blood, what are we to do? Are we to pass on, let the being go on his own way, or are we not justified, after our very marvellous visions, in following up and making some enquiry as to the suspect's antecedents?
    Somehow or other I have an impression that before another month has elapsed this scoundrel will have been discovered. When he appeared to me yesterday morning he looked much more careworn and anxious than I had noticed on either of the two previous occasions.
    He has now accomplished his ninth murder; with you I believe he will be captured before or during the perpetration of the tenth.
    I am, yours very faithfully,
    T. Ross Scott.

The original article...
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
      I don't remember seeing this on Casebook before. It is part of a longer article which I will post when done.
      make of it what you will...
      Chris

Local Government Gazette
      19 Sept 1889

26 Queen's Crescent, Edinburgh.
      Sept. 11 1889.

Dear Sir,
      I have again had a most extraordinary dream, the particulars of which, considering the great interest you have all along taken in the matter, I think it is only fair to forward you. I copy the following. word for word, from the notes I made shortly after rising in the morning:-
      "Tuesday, Sept. 10, 1889, 8.30 a.m.
      Came upstairs last night about 9.30. Tried to read some physiology, but somehow could not settle down to it. Laid the book aside about an hour afterwards and write several letters. Became more and more restless as the night went on. retired to bed at 1.30 this morning, but for a long while lay quite awake. The last thing I remember was looking at my watch, the hands of which pointed to five minutes to three. I then fell asleep. Gradually buildings seemed to rise on every side, and I appeared to be walking along a somewhat broad street, the features of which, however, I was unable to see distinctly owing to the darkness of the night. While proceeding on my way I became conscious of the presence of someone, and glancing up observed a tall, dark figure rapidly approaching me. In his right hand the stranger held a large carpet bag, which apparently he had considerable difficulty in carrying. As he passed he turned his head towards me. and I immediately recognised him as the 'surgeon' of my two previous dreams! In vain I tried to reach him. He again had his eyes fixed on me. I was totally unable to move. Just then I awoke, struggling violently and completely exhausted. The time by my watch was 5.11."

Now, sir, taking into consideration my first dream, I am strongly inclined to believe that the Whitechapel murderer has at some time undergone a medical training, and that during his 'lucid intervals' he is not in London at all, but acts as surgeon on board some small vessel. Viewing the matter in this light, I feel almost convinced that the individual seen by you on Monday, August 19, was the genuine murderer. He may only have arrived in London a short time previous to you seeing him; as nothing was heard of him until then this seems highly probable. The latest crime is the most daring of the series, and naturally he would require a longer time to prepare for it. A fortnight elapses, and then mysterious writings are seen on a wall in Brunswick Street, Islington. These warnings seem to be characteristic of the human fiend, and it is greatly to be regretted that the police have always thought so lightly of them. On Tuesday, Sept. 10, another body is found, but the infamous scoundrel has disappeared as mysteriously as before.
      Now, if my supposition as to his occupation during the interval which elapses between each of the murders be correct, searching for him at present is probably useless. He lays his plans too well to be caught napping, and doubtless he leaves London immediately after each of the murders. If he is to be discovered, I believe it must be either before or during the time he is engaged on his ghastly work.
      Be that as it may, however, one point remains which is of the utmost importance - namely, our duty in the matter. These visions have appeared much too often to be quietly passed over as an idle dream, and the circumstances surrounding each of them only tend to increase their significance. The face of this 'dream man' has firmly impressed itself on our memories - we could recognise it anywhere with the greatest promptitude and ease. Now, in the event of such recognition in a creature of flesh and blood, what are we to do? Are we to pass on, let the being go on his own way, or are we not justified, after our very marvellous visions, in following up and making some enquiry as to the suspect's antecedents?
      Somehow or other I have an impression that before another month has elapsed this scoundrel will have been discovered. When he appeared to me yesterday morning he looked much more careworn and anxious than I had noticed on either of the two previous occasions.
      He has now accomplished his ninth murder; with you I believe he will be captured before or during the perpetration of the tenth.
      I am, yours very faithfully,
      T. Ross Scott.
      It's very interesting..
      I think that the police very often get so called 'psychics' offering to help them
      ...and as far as I know, not one case has ever been solved by one yet !
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Working...
      X