Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling matches and soliciting

From "La Presse", lundi 15 octobre 1888 :

"Où s'était donc commis le dernier crime ? Je demande à un passant de bien vouloir m'indiquer Berner Street, la rue où s'est commis le dernier assassinat. J'en étais à deux pas : elle donne justement sur la grande avenue où je me trouvais. Deux agents de police se trouvaient à l'entrée, avec l'ordre de ne laisser passer personne que les habitants de la rue ou les gens qui allaient leur rendre visite.

Un sergent de police, à qui je montre ma carte, consent à me laisser pénétrer dans la rue, ou plutôt dans la ruelle. Ici le spectacle change. A la porte de maisons sordides, j'aperçois des têtes de femmes et d'hommes n'inspirant pas précisément la confiance. Les femmes surtout inspirent une répulsion particulière. Et pourtant ce sont toutes des 'chercheuses d'amour'.

Elles se promènent avec des allumettes à la main, et proposent aux passants, à la dérobée, quelques allumettes. C'est ainsi que ces monstres de la nature entrent en matière !
    "

English

"Where was the last crime committed? I ask a passer-by to point out Berner Street, the street where happened the last assassination. I was there in two steps: it overlooks the big avenue precisely where I was. Two policemen were at the entrance, with orders to let nobody through but the inhabitants of the street or people who were going to visit them.

A sergeant of police, to whom I showed my card, agreed to let me enter into the street, or rather to the alleyway. Here the scene changes. In the door of the sordid houses, I see heads of women and men not exactly inspiring confidence. The women especially inspire a particular repulsion. And they are all 'seekers of love'.

They go for a walk with matches in the hand, and offer some matches to the passers-by, stealthy. That's how these monsters of nature operate! "

Comment

Many thanks once more, Lynn!

Comment

Working...
      X