Image Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
    That rather depends, Dave, on whether you are the surgeon or the patient.

Cheers.

Garry Wroe.
    Well by the marjority of his posts on this thread he must think he is the surgeon ! although he is not alone here in that belief !
    Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Wonderful work Garry

When you were doing the enhancement of Lis Stride could you tell whether the shape of her mouth was a birth defect or does it look more like an injury?

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, Belinda, Dr Phillips noted neither a birth defect nor a facial injury when presenting his postmortem report, so it’s difficult to know what to make of Stride’s seemingly asymmetric mouth. I wondered whether it might be a trick of the light, but this is unlikely since the major light source runs from head to foot rather than diagonally, which can alter form and depth perception. Again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the image resolution in many of these photographs is so low that they often frustrate any attempt to elicit meaningful information.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

I sort of agree that Idon't like the more graphic images myself. When ever i have tried to enhance photos I have tried to cover up the worst bits and attempt to hopfully show a little bit of what the victim looked like in life.
          Attached Files

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, Belinda, Dr Phillips noted neither a birth defect nor a facial injury when presenting his postmortem report, so it’s difficult to know what to make of Stride’s seemingly asymmetric mouth. I wondered whether it might be a trick of the light, but this is unlikely since the major light source runs from head to foot rather than diagonally, which can alter form and depth perception. Again, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the image resolution in many of these photographs is so low that they often frustrate any attempt to elicit meaningful information.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
            I wonder if some damage occured when they were handling her body at the mortuary?

Comment

That seems doubtful, Belinda, since the body was not removed from the crime scene until shortly before 5:00am. Given such an interlude, Stride's body could not have generated bruising or swelling of a type that might have distorted her features.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Aboard a barge at the London Docks:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Docks-ps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	660922

Sorting rags in an East London slum court:-

Name:	slum-ps.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	660923

A Whitechapel street scene:-

Name:	Wchapel-ps.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	660924

And another in Spitalfields:-

Name:	Spitalfields-ps.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	660925

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

On the subject of Liz Stride's strange mouth, Neal Sheldon says in his book :"Mr North of Poplar, said that she was nicknamed Mother Gum on account of a peculiarity of the top lip, which, when she laughed, showed the whole of the upper gum".
                  http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

That's interesting, Ruby, particularly in light of Neal's usual attention to detail.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Here's a slight improvement on the recently posted Lawende image:-

[ATTACH]10048[/ATTACH]

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
                      Would anyone agree that this gentleman has a fair moustache ?

In more than one description of the ripper, he is described as having a fair moustache. What better alibi than being a police officer ? And he was at one scene as he admits.
                      It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Comment

Hi Gary

It was I think from this image that someone discerned the initials jm, leading to speculation that these may have been the initials of james maybrick- a supposedly possible perp.

I think a very useful direction for your work is a detailed study of the visible walls for possible clues. He may have been the type to enjoy baiting investigators with strange clues, as in the Gouston St grafitti.

I believe the ripper did leave this message in Gouston st

Thanks for all your work
                        Last edited by Ashkenaz; 10-29-2010, 07:16 PM.
                        It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Comment

Interesting work. The comments about Stride having some sort of deformity of the lip may have been proved here!!

Mind you Miley Cyrus also shows all her gums when she smiles, rather like a horse, so maybe not.
                          In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashkenaz View Post
                              Would anyone agree that this gentleman has a fair moustache ?

In more than one description of the ripper, he is described as having a fair moustache. What better alibi than being a police officer ? And he was at one scene as he admits.
                              Just to dispel some confusion, here, Ashkenaz, Joseph Lawende was not a police officer. He was a witness who almost certainly observed Kate Eddowes with her slayer shortly before the Mitre Square murder. Indeed, it was Lawende who described this man as having a fair moustache.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Well, here you go, Dave. I extracted the wound areas, enhanced them, then de-noised the underlying image in order to provide a little more in the way of definition. Unfortunately, the image quality is so poor that there is little meaningful information to be had. Sorry.

[ATTACH]10320[/ATTACH]

Garry Wroe.

Excuse my ignorance but who is this poor sod?

We are pretty certain that most wounds were done post mortem, aren't we? Just seeing that pic and thinking of Mary, the thought that he would torture these poor women before death is very frightening. I would hate to think that they had to suffer so much on top of all this.

Comment

Working...
                                X