Image Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John:

Here's the deal. We're talking about photos that were taken 122 years ago! Back then, believe it or not, camera and photograph quality and technology was not exactly as advanced as it is today. There was no Photoshop in 1888. As a result, the majority of images we have in relation to these crimes (which really aren't that extensive) are of a fairly poor quality and, in some cases, completely unintelligible - by Garry and people of his kind taking the time and effort to clear up these photos and produce greater clarity, we can add something of a modern touch to old photographs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. You should note that not all of the photos are death scene or mortuary photos, they are a variety of things, including the Abberline photo and Miller's Court. You've chosen to single out those particular images as some sort of suggestion that both Garry and those of us who choose to commend his work are some sort of sicko's.

And yet, once again, you continue to visit the thread and have obviously viewed them more than once. Did you really think when you came to study a serial killer that all of the images associated with it were going to be of cute young kittens playing in the spring dandelions?

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

Did you really think when you came to study a serial killer that all of the images associated with it were going to be of cute young kittens playing in the spring dandelions?

Cheers,
      Adam.[/QUOTE]

Adam, Jack the spring kitten killer would be a real bar steward !!

Comment

Wow, great work on the enhancements.

Actually, I think the work that the OP has done should be commended, I am currently doing a dissertation on 'ol Jack and appreciate all the clarity when it comes to his 'work' seeing as the originals due to the time and lack of technology offers very little!

I like the sound of 'The Spring Kitten Killer'!

Comment

Many thanks to all who provided support both on the boards and privately. It's good to see that most of you 'get it', so I can't see the point in arguing with those who don't.

I've completed the work on those images I downloaded from here on site, but if anyone has anything they think might benefit from a little enhancement, either contact me directly or post the image to this thread.

Thanks once again.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Well there was certainly plenty of stray cats wandering around the East End!!

Garry:

I can't think of any images specifically, but maybe a few more location type photographs would be the way to go? Like just general Victorian era photos from around the East End?

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

If that's what you're looking for, Adam, there are some real gems on the East End Photographs thread. The ones I've been working on are those of relatively or especially poor quality, which doesn't tend to be the case with respect to the images submitted by Rob Clack and others. But if you spot any, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Oops. Found some more.

Commercial Street:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	CommSt1x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	659119

Annie and John Chapman:-

Name:	Chap1x.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	659120

Liz Stride:-

Name:	Stride1x.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	659121

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Garry... I'll check out that thread.

Excellent pics that you just posted up as well, fantastic job.

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                    Commercial Street:-

[ATTACH]8656[/ATTACH]

Wow, that's a good one.

Anybody know where on Commercial St this is?
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                      Wow, that's a good one.

Anybody know where on Commercial St this is?
                      Hi Stephen,

It's the Southern end of Commercial Street looking North. The entrance to Toynbee Hall is just on the right and Wentworth Street with the Princess Alice is the first corner on the right.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hey, Garry, this is incrediable work!
                          This is the clearest I've ever seen the victims' faces.
                          Maybe it can help when people try to recreate Eddowes' and Kelly's.
                          "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Many thanks, MR. I doubt very much that these enhancements would allow for the 'recreation' of Mary Jane's face, however. At best, the crime scene has been accorded a good deal more clarity - so much so that the 'FM' of Maybrick myth has disappeared, and it is now possible to distinguish the blood spray from the mold and general grime on the partition wall.

Thanks once again.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Good Lord that mjk photo is the clearest one i have ever seen, outstanding job Garry.

Comment

Thanks, Sara. Here are two views of The Britannia, first in close-up ...

Name:	Britanniax.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	659133

... then as part of a Commercial Street scene with The Ten Bells on the right:-

Name:	CommSt1x.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	659134

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Working...
                                X