No announcement yet.

Image Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, Harry. For Mary Ann Cox, please read Maria Harvey.

Doh!!!

Garry Wroe.

Comment

• Here are three images taken from a 1903 film shot in and about Petticoat Lane. Apologies for the poor quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pet1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	662014

Name:	pet2.jpg
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	662015

Name:	Pet3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	662016

Comment

• And three more of the 'destructor' plant, George Yard, dated 1904:-

Name:	GeoYrd1-1904x.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	662017

Name:	GeoYrd2-1904x.jpg
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	662018

Name:	GeoYrd3-1904x.jpg
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	662019

Comment

• I can't believe the clarity of these photos. Excellent thread and much appreciative of the time taken. Thanks

Comment

• Many thanks, Jonnieola. Here are three more. First, Old Castle Street, 1915:-

Name:	OldCastle1915x.jpg
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	662025

Lamb Street, 1912:-

Name:	LambSt1912x.jpg
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	662026

And a Stepney scene dated 1918:-

Name:	stepney1918x.jpg
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	662027

Comment

• Old photos, especially ones of this quality, are my favourite thing about this website. Thanks again, Garry. Your work is much appreciated.

Comment

• You're welcome, Ken. I'll post a few more over the weekend, other commitments permitting.

Comment

• Hi Garry.

I agree with Ken. Thanks for posting the enhanced photos, and please keep them coming!

Best regards,
                  Archaic

Comment

• Excellent work Gary, keep it up. My image library is looking better all the time. Lol

All my love

Janie

xxxx
                    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

• Astonishing how clean the streets look in all the pics.

I agree with G M, the old photo's are, like icing on the cake.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Many thanks for your comments and observations. Here's a group of rough sleepers on Southwark Bridge (1900) ...

Name:	Southwark1900x.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	662028

And Lolesworth Street in the Sixties ...

Name:	Lolesworth60sx.jpg
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	662029

Comment

• Hello Gary,

I can't say this enough, these images are fantastic. Keep up the great work
                          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Here's the 'other' Victoria Home, that situated on Whitechapel Road in a photograph taken in the Seventies ...

Name:	victoriax.jpg
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	662030

From the same timeframe, here's the Goulston Street doorway in which the killer discarded Kate Eddowes' apron remnant. To my mind, it is certainly interesting that he elected to enter the vestibule rather than simply toss the piece of cloth into the basement area as he passed by. It would seem, therefore, that some other consideration drew him into the doorway.

Name:	Goulston75.jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	662031

Comment

• Thanks, Corey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                                From the same timeframe, here's the Goulston Street doorway .......
                                [ATTACH]11703[/ATTACH]
                                Excuse me for bringing this up Garry. This block of Wentworth Dwellings was four units long. Your photo appears to show the last unit (4th). The doorway to 108-119 was the 2nd unit down from Wentworth St.

Here is a c.1907 shot of Goulston St., on Pettycoat Lane Market day.
                                I can't remember who originally posted this but the doorway in the centre of the pic is the 2nd doorway from the left. This is supposed to be the GSG doorway.

Regards, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X