Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Art Gallery theft Mar 18 1900

Hi all
    Just came across this- There was a mega heist from the Isabella Stewart Gordon Museum Boston U.S in 1900- worth a possible $500 million- that's a L O T !!! (Even now!!)

Included amongst the getaway stash were these beauties !
    Click image for larger version

Name:	art.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	669913

Anyone got any more info?? Thinking back to my art history lecture days I should KNOW who' Mr Top Left' is- but it's eluding me at the mo!

Could it be Whistler??...... Maybe his little seen Diary painting (hehe)

Suz x

The Vermeer (although beautiful!............note the Masonic floor ! :-)) and the possible, rather weak, Degas pencil sketches being the least interesting! :-/ IMHO!
    Last edited by Suzi; 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM.
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Hello Suzi,

Having googled it, the painting of the gentleman in question appears to be called "Chez Tortoni", by Manet. Hope this helps.

best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks...... Manet and Degas........interesting

Comment

Thanks to Phil for his discretion!!- It's 1990!!!!!!! Blaming it on a vile cold and too much medication!! :-/
        Suz x

Comment

People here are still steamed about it. I hope the culprits are eventually caught.
          "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

From what I know the museum was ripe for such a theft. Isabella Stewart Gordon stated in her Will that the museum be kept in the exact way it was during her lifetime. It was a unsecure dream for art thieves.

Comment

Working...
            X