X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cofused,PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi All
    Please can anyone help?
    While TJI and myself have been researching Jacob Levy as a suspect, we have time and again stumbled over the same problem.
    Levy is recorded as living in Petticoat Lane which then becomes Middlesex street, we have Hutchinson street and Hutchinson lane, we have Little Middlesex Street as well as all the alleys and cul-de-sacs around.
    Can somebody point us in the direction of a GOOD map or somewhere we can blow away the fog of confusion about the maze of streets of Whitechapel in 1888?

Thanks for your time
    Keep Well
    Jimi

Don't know if you have seen this . It is from this site. 1894 Ordnance map. Hope this helps

Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Petticoat Lane is the colloquial term for Middlesex Street. In other words they are one and the same.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

A famous place.
        Astrakhan Man loved it very much.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

1873 Large Scale OS (Click to Enlarge in flickr)

Comment

Hi all

Yes we thought that the name had been changed but just weren't sure, thanks for that.

Septic Blue

Thanks for the pic of the map that is brilliant as I also assumed that Little middlesex street was also a name change for Middlesex street but your map shows it wasn't - it was a side street. Helps put the streets in more perspective.

May I ask if anyone knows of a way that we can find out how the street was numbered as I know that Sarah Levy lived at 36 Petticoat lane and her son Hyam lived at 36, I know this isn't next door as it suggests but I would like to know if there is a way to figure out how far away there where.

Any help would be appreciated

Tj
            It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Top Marks

Hi All
              Septic blue,WOW, that is fantastic. I really feel more comfortable working with this map.Clears up so many of my problems with the area.
              Really, thank you loads .
              jimi

Comment

Working...
              X