Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a serial killer?!

Hello you all!

I know, that this is pretty tough to explain, but let's try anyway!

So, to name some points;

1. Sociopathy. Meaning not feeling empathy or anything like that!

2. Arrogance. Meaning a "they will never be as witty as I am" -attitude.

3. Intelligence. Meaning ablility of covering up!

4. Luck. Probably no need to explain more!

5. Manipulation. Meaning a way to lure the closest people into the thing. (Not in all cases!)

So, here are some brief notes. Wider views about these points and adding some more is most welcome!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

I don't think intelligence for a serial killer is required, but it's definitely desired by the culprit.

There were several serial killers who were pretty blatant about their crimes, but barely got away with the help of sheer luck.

Probably the most dangerous aspect of a serial killer would be the ability to blend in with the crowd. Isn't it true that those who are extremely socially akward are caught sooner? It's really the ones who can go unnoticed that can get away with murders for years on end.
    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Hi Jukka,

most serial murders are sexual in nature - lust murders.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

I find the fact that most of them had massive head injuries when young quite interesting.

Mind you, most people bang their heads when youg.

doris
        ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

In general, intelligence would tend to extend a serial killer's career. We have to speculate in the unsolved cases of course since we don't know them and thus how intelligent they were but I assume that's the reason unless there's some yet to be discovered factor X.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I find the fact that most of them had massive head injuries when young quite interesting.

Mind you, most people bang their heads when youg a bit.
            But many serial killers recieved injuries that rendered them unconcious for days, often on multiple occasions;for instance Fred west and Shawcross suffered terrible head wounds several times.

doris

sorry meant to edit and posted it again. oops.

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
              Fred west and Shawcross suffered terrible head wounds several times.

Not enough, imo.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

I think the other major element for "success" would be the killer's ability to control himself.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  I think the other major element for "success" would be the killer's ability to control himself.
                  Hi Stan,

it's more important than intelligence, imo.
                  Intelligent as he was, Dahmer gradually lost control, and even if his last victim had not managed to escape, I guess he would have been caught not long after.

Amitiés,
                  David

Comment

Amygdala

In science, we are always dealing with causation v. correlation. There may be a correlation, but is that the cause? A recent study (I will find it) pointed to a correlation between the size of the amygdala of the brain and pathological behavior. The amygdala is the part of the brain which allows someone to symphathize with another (such as a victim). The amygdala of tested serial killers had an unusually small amygdala. So, does an unusually small amygdala mean you are a serial killer? It looks as though that is part of it.

Sincerely,

Mike
                    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

The wikipedia article "serial killer" begins with...

A serial killer is a person who murders three or more people over a period of more than thirty days, with a "cooling off" period between each murder, and whose motivation for killing is largely based on psychological gratification.

I can understand the 3 or more, but I'm not convinced about the 30 day period.

Comment

the 30 days thing does seem a bit arbitary, but I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere to differentiate between a serial and a spree killer.

doris

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, I had an accident in gymnastics, while being 16 years old; head first to the floor! Believe it or not, I only had a brain concussion!

So, if some of your conclusions are correct; if my head would have hit a few degrees differently to the floor, I could have become a serial killer! Scary....

I wonder, if there ever will be a proper answer to the following word:

Why?!

All the best
                          Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

I think a question that should be asked to really understand what makes a serial killer would be- for each of the qualities listed in post #1, what causes a person to have those qualities? The answer will probably always be a mystery.

Comment

Working...
                            X