If You Could Go Back In Time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Could Go Back In Time...

If you could, by some means, go back in time to 1888 and be in the vicinty of the murder sites, what would you do? Would you try to save some of the vicitms, or just watch so you could know the truth about everything? Also, do you think you could witness the slaughter of Mary Kelly and not feel guilty about trying to save her?
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

I'd try to stop the killer.Knowing the times and places I'd wait for him and act accordingly

Comment

I'd manage to meet the Ripper before the murder spree.
      January or February 88.
      Then I'd offer him a copy of Sugden, or Begg.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

I'd go to Kosminski's house and teach him that cutting hair takes place above the neck.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Run for my life!
          “be just and fear not”

Comment

I'd likely try to save as many of the women as I could, but I'd at least want a picture of the Goulston Street graffito, so I'd have to take along a digital camera.
            "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Variations of this question appear here semi-regularly, and there is always an obligatory response: If someone were to go back in time and stop the Ripper crimes from happening, then it would not be the phenomenon it is today and none of us would be here talking about it, which would in turn preclude anyone's going back in time to do anything about it in the first place. Those bloody time loop things are so annoying!

That said, am I allowed to bring modern equipment with me back in time? If so I would bring a camera with which to hide out at one or another of the crime scenes and get a high-def photo of Jack to bring back and we could all debate which suspect it most resembles.

Comment

I'd take pictures of the killer then use them for a bestselling book.

Comment

Do I get to take 4 or 5 big dudes and a baseball bat with me?
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                    Variations of this question appear here semi-regularly, and there is always an obligatory response: If someone were to go back in time and stop the Ripper crimes from happening, then it would not be the phenomenon it is today and none of us would be here talking about it, which would in turn preclude anyone's going back in time to do anything about it in the first place. Those bloody time loop things are so annoying!
                    Yes, of course - the Blinovitch Limitation Effect would prevent you from saving the victims ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Yes, of course - the Blinovitch Limitation Effect would prevent you from saving the victims ...
                      Actually I think that stops you altering your personal time line, by landing your TARDIS some when you already are (my head hurts).

Paradox Theory suggests you can not alter history from the established path with out altering it to such a degree that you would not have invented time travel to change the past... Oy my head hurts.
                      There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
                        Actually I think that stops you altering your personal time line, by landing your TARDIS some when you already are (my head hurts).

Paradox Theory suggests you can not alter history from the established path with out altering it to such a degree that you would not have invented time travel to change the past... Oy my head hurts.
                        On a more serious note... If I did save lives,or identify the Ripper would anyone believe me anyway?
                        There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Hi,
                          If one could only go back in time, what a great gift that would be, one could change many directions one decided to venture as a young adult, especially those which were dead end.
                          Anyway what would I do with my time travel Jack related.?
                          a] Taken a camera with me in 1965 when I did my Whitechapel walkabouts.
                          b] Having taken my polygraph with me, I would interview just two people Caroline Maxwell, and George Hutchinson, the results would be very intresting.
                          I could then return to 2010 and spent the next twenty years attempting to catch the killer.
                          Why not apprehend the killer whilst on time travel?
                          Because it would spoil my routine of visiting Casebook......................
                          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post

I seem to recall reading that when one travels back in time a paralel universe will be created, so both states (traveled back in time time and ordianry time) can coexist.

I also vaguely remember trhat time travel has been proved to be possible, but only backwards, but I may just be remembering things from a boys adventure comic type science book-the kind of thing that said we would all have flying cars, wear tin-foil clothes, and eat food pills!

doris

oh and aabout the JTR question I would lurk at the Miller's court entrance on the MJK night from midnight onwards.
                            ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Working...
                            X