Biggest mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest mistake

I realize that this has been discussed in bits and pieces over various threads, but "just for jolly", what do you think was the biggest mistake made during the investigation of the murders during the fall of 1888 ?

The erasing of the GSG?

Not experimenting with new techniques- i.e.- fingerprints, more crime scene photography?

Not summoning certain witnesses to the inquest?

Publishing the "Dear Boss" letters?

A better coordination between the Met and City police?

Having Anderson in charge?

The way the press was handled?

Feel free to add anything else.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

I would say the erasing of the graffiti, not cooperating more with the press, and certainly not having called more (and different) witnesses to the inquests.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I'm perhaps being a little unfair here........but for me the lack of preservation of evidence clothing, photgraphs, reports and even the letters proporting to be from the Ripper.

The fingerprints is a good shout though.
      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

I think the police having pre conceptions of what Jack the Ripper would be like definately harmed the investigation more than anything else although it has to be said that given the policing techniques of the day and the many passages of Whitechapel they were always going struggle.

Comment

Yeah Anderson in charge was a big mistake. I also agree with the printing of the Dear Boss letter, eventhough they probably thought it was the right decision at the time.
          Best regards,
          Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

HI ALL!
            Abberline not treating Hutchinson with more suspicion ?

Comment

Indeed, Spyglass.

The truth was in the VH.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

Hunter,

An interesting list, but I'm not sure any were real mistakes.

The erasing of the GSG: It might hve saved countless posts here, but aside from getting the actual wordinjg right, what would have been the worth to the investigation?

fingerprints, more crime scene photography: While recognized, fingerprint analysis was in its infancy. Moreover, just where might prints have been lifted and with what examplars would they be compared if obtainable? As for more crime scene photographs, we would have welcomed them to satisfy our curiousity, but what might they have added to the contemporary investigation? As it is, detective stories and TV shows aside, their main use is to give the prosecution a hedge against charges of evidence planting or other crime scene contamination.

Not summoning certain witnesses to the inquest: Who of importance would you suggest they didn't call?

Publishing the "Dear Boss" letters: Since the publishing of such correspondence remains a staple of criminal investigations today, with some notable succeses, I don't see it as a failure.

A better coordination between the Met and City police: We are told that officers of both departments met daily, they conducted operations on each other's turf and geneally showed a level cooperation that many law enforcement agencies fail to manifest even today.

Having Anderson in charge: In my opinion Anderson comes in for a lot of unwarranted criticism, most of it personal. His performance as an executive was pretty much by the book, though. Moreover, it was Donald Swanson who was the hands on coordinsator of the investigation.

The way the press was handled: No question proper press relations were lacking and regular police briefings would have cut down on the number of dodgy newspaper stories that generation after generation of researchers gleefully dredge up as gospel. But again, would it have aided the inquiry materially? I wonder.

In the end, I think we must once more ask how much more successful the police are today--with the benefit of all the modern techniques--in tracking down serial killers. Not very, I would say.

Don.
                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

I suppose it isn't really relevant to this discussion, but talking about Anderson's, Warren's and all the other chaps imperfections there is one thing that makes it hard for me to take their opinions seriously. And that is the fact that all the main characters involved thought it was possible for someone to wank themselves into insanity!

I can understand that they found acts of 'self pollution' unpleasant from aesthetic or moral viewpoints but, c'mon, tossing to lunacy!

What a stupid idea. How could any clever, important, well educated person think, for a moment, that dallying with the glove of love could lead to lunacy?

When I read any of the accounts that mention 'self abuse' leading to insanity all I can think is what silly, silly people.

doris
                  ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Doris,

Just be cautious of what you read. There are alot of false statements and reports in 'ripperology'.

Yours truly
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Doris,
                      this thread isn't about police views and theories after their failure...
                      It's about their possible mistakes during the investigation.

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
                        I suppose it isn't really relevant to this discussion, but talking about Anderson's, Warren's and all the other chaps imperfections there is one thing that makes it hard for me to take their opinions seriously. And that is the fact that all the main characters involved thought it was possible for someone to wank themselves into insanity!

I can understand that they found acts of 'self pollution' unpleasant from aesthetic or moral viewpoints but, c'mon, tossing to lunacy!

What a stupid idea. How could any clever, important, well educated person think, for a moment, that dallying with the glove of love could lead to lunacy?

When I read any of the accounts that mention 'self abuse' leading to insanity all I can think is what silly, silly people.

doris

Doris,

Actually self-abuse CAN lead to psychological insanity, or psychotic delusions. Just like substance abuse can.

Yours truly
                        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

What I meant was that one of their mistakes was approaching their suspects whilst thinking that 'self-abuse' could lead to mental afflictions.

Surely that proves that their whole belief of mental illness was very wrong?

Is that not an important problem in the investigating officers understanding?

doris
                          ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Hunter,

Anyways, I think the things that anger me the most about the Victorian police investiagation would have to be Warren erasing the Gouston st. Graffito, like others said, reproducing the "Dear boss", and the short(this one in particular) inquest of Mary Kelly. WHYY!!!
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
                              What I meant was that one of their mistakes was approaching their suspects whilst thinking that 'self-abuse' could lead to mental afflictions.

Surely that proves that their whole belief of mental illness was very wrong?

Is that not an important problem in the investigating officers understanding?

doris
                              Doris,

It was and it wasn't. It would be hard to explain and this isn't the thread for it.

Yours truly
                              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                              X