No announcement yet.

The Fashion Street Enigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping this thread after 14 years of dormancy.

It's far too relevant to ignore any longer

RD
    "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
      Hi Rob

Thats a clearer photograph of Fashion Street. Also you're correct in stating that 6 Fashion Street was once a chandlers shop, in 1891 Mark Silverman was the shop keeper. The Vast majority of the Street was occupied by Eastern European immigrants, including Aaron, and Anne Barnett in number 2 they were Russian nationals, hailing from Vilmar. No relation to Joseph I suspect.

all the best

Observer
      I have previously identified Marks Silverman in a separate thread.

He had never been highlighted as a person of interest before my thread on him.

The thread received minimal feedback, which is a shame because he is IMO a person of interest in the case.

He ended up in a lunatic asylum and was deemed incurable.

I have researched his life and he was a very interesting character indeed.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        donors

Hello All. The following is a list of donors to the soup kitchen at 5 (sic) Fashion st Spitalfields. It is taken from The Jewish Standard, January 4, 1889.

Perhaps Kate had eaten there by convincing them that she was Jewish?

Cheers.
        LC
        The name "Van Gelder" crops up yet again.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
          Guys

This is a segment of a report about Eddowes

Irish Times Monday, 1st October 1888

The public were not admitted to the square until late in the afternoon, after an official plan of the square had been made for production at the inquest. Up to a late hour in the evening the woman had not been identified, although several people have been to the Bishopsgate street police station and have seen the clothing. Two women who inspected this and also saw the corpse were certain that it was the body of a woman named Jane Kelly, but subsequently on inquiries being made, it was found that this individual was alive. A man who saw the body said he was sure it was that of a woman known as "Phoebe the Jewess," but the inquiries in this case are not yet complete

Also, Stride was alleged to have been a Charwoman to some Jews.

Just throwing it out there...a connection?

Monty

So, just to clarify...

2 women identified Stride as a woman called "Jane Kelly"

But the real Jane Kelly is then found alive.

Then a man identifies Stride as "Phoebe the Jewess"

Beneath the GSG that starts with the word "Jewes/Juews etc..." under which a piece of Eddowe's bloodied apron is found

Stride tells the landlady she had lived on Fashion Street, and is then murdered

Eddowes also claimed she lived on Fashion Street, at number 6, and is then murdered

6 Fashion Street was a Chandlers shop run by Marks Silverman, whose surname I have linked to Berner Street/Dutfields Yard - check out my thread on Silverman

Marks Silverman ends his days in a lunatic asylum

Eddowes used the name Jane Kelly when she pawned her boots.

Both women were murdered on the same night

Eddowes gave the name Mary Ann Kelly

Eddowes also claimed she knew who the killer was

Mary Jane Kelly is then butchered in Miller's Court.

Chapman was alleged to have also used a pawned her belongings shortly before her death

So...

Stride, Eddowes, and Kelly can all be connected with the name Kelly/Jane Kelly
          Eddowes and Stride
          to Fashion Street
          Eddowes and Stride to the night they're both murdered

I would suggest that Mary Jane Kelly was also a false name for the Miller's Court victim; hence why nobody has been able to identify her antecedents.

It would also explain why a "Mary Kelly" was apparently seen by at least 2 different independent witnesses the morning after she had already been murdered.

In other words; multiple women/victims went by the name of "Kelly."

And yet here we are, 136 years later, and nobody can seem to make a definitive connection between the victims.

Utterly baffling

The links between the murder victims are there; if only those of us brave enough to look for them take a chance and open our eyes to the wealth of coincidences that saturate this case.

RD
          Last edited by The Rookie Detective; 02-22-2024, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Rookie,

I am indeed baffled.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
            X