Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hullo, and a few qustions.

Hullo everyone,
    Iam new here, so I would like to introduce myself and if I may ask a few questions.
    I was in my youth as interested in JTR’s crimes as I imagine most members of the public are; I knew the names and details of the canonical victims, and I wondered who JTR may have been.
    A few years ago I watched Michael Winner, I think; introduce the program about the diary and James Maybrick. I didn’t find the evidence compelling but I found the whole tale of the diary fascinating. So I bought all the diary books and the Ripper a to z.
    That was it until recently. Of late I played the PC game Sherlock Holmes vs jack the ripper, the game features 3D representations of the streets and murder scenes and it inflamed my interest again so I bought the 4 books that this sites recommends as the ideal introduction.
    Right that’s my JTR history, as it were.

Now my questions, if you would be so kind.

Firstly I have a heck of a job understanding the money values of JTR’s London. I read that a lady would earn a couple of old pence for an ‘assignation’, that a night in a ‘doss’ house would cost four pence, and that during the Tabram enquiries it was discovered that a bayonet could be bought for 2 or 3 pence.* Nowadays a bayonet can be bought for 20 or 30 pounds, I would imagine a night in a crappy Hotel would be 30 or 40 pounds and Iam guessing (I promise) that a street prostitute would cost 20 or 30 pounds for an uncomfortable in a car or against a wall ‘encounter’.
    So those guesstimates would make an old penny worth about ten pounds.
    However, I read that Francis Coles bought 1 and a half pence worth of lamb/mutton in a cafe. Well that can’t be right can it? Fifteen pounds for dinner? And then I read in Ripper a to z that 2 and a half shillings is worth about 8 modern pounds, well 2 and a half shillings is 30 pence, so lets call it 9 modern pounds for convenience. That means 3 old pence is about 1 modern pound. That fits for the cheap meal, but I cannot imagine a prostitute, doss bed, or bayonet costing a couple of modern pounds.
    Iam sorry if I seem to have gone on in a confusing manner, but 1888 currency baffles me.

Second new boy question-What was on the other side of 29 Hanbury Street’s rear fence? Could JTR have escaped that way? I have looked in my books but find no mention of what is over the fence.

Third question- Is there any place where I can see decent pictures or 3D models of the injuries? Reading things like this – “..the incisions were cleanly cut, avoiding the rectum, and dividing the vagina low enough to avoid injury to the cervix uteri” leave me utterly baffled. Being a gentleman I have seen a vagina or two, but how does one divide a vagina?

Fourth question, I understand that the Eddowes apron has disappeared, but what about all the other physical objects? The tin, pawn tickets, combs, muslin, clothing, and what about Lusk’s box, accompanying letter and kidney? Have they all disappeared too?

That’s all folks, thank you for your time, and Iam sorry if I have asked questions that every new member asks.
    Toodle-oo
    Doris
    ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

On the currency, the confusion comes not in currency conversion but in market value. A bayonet would have been more in surplus in 1890 than it would now. So it would, comparatively, cost less.

If I could remember enough to name the author of the report or the policeman he got the information from I would. But I don't remember.
    However, the policeman reported then that a prostitute could be paid a Shilling and, something like, "consider herself well paid".

I try to ignore modern exchanges and try to look at it in context.
    During The Nichols Inquest there was an exchange with Watchman, Alfred Malshaw:

The Coroner: I suppose your watching is not up to much?
    The Witness: I don't know. It is thirteen long hours for 3s (shillings) and find your own coke. (Laughter.)

Well before Minimum Wage requirements, that would set a low end of the common pay scale.

Also, Whitechapel is the birthplace of the modern Salvation Army who held something called a "Farthing Breakfast" where the children could come to eat a bread roll, margarine and jam with a cup of hot chocolate for a quarter penny.
    So, the cost of a modern large cinnamon roll and cup of coffee to compare.

For me, it's easier to imagine a street prostitute see 3 clients per day to earn a Watchman's wages. Not too far off from modern scale.
    Dave McConniel

Comment

Doris,

I can answer some of your questions for now.

Your first question is a bit confusing since I am from the states even I have trouble with 1888 UK money. Here is what I DO know.

Clothing
      Item £/S/d
      1 overcoat 1/15/0
      1 umbrella -/7/6
      1 hat -/2/6
      1 silk hat -/7/6
      1 week-day suit 2/0/0
      1 Sunday suit 2/10/0
      1 pair socks -/1-/10
      1 pair boots -/10/6
      repairing boots -/6/0
      1 under vest -/2/6
      1 flannel shirt -/3/0
      1 collar -/-/5
      1 pair cuffs -/-/8
      cutton, buttons -/0/1

1 Shilling(s)
      1 penny(D)

Modern UK

53 pence

Modern US

80.00$
      9.00$
      .75$

This is comparing the prices. All amount to the same

I will post a map of Hanbury st. for you to help. Sorry if the map is small but it indicates that another house is on the rear. Looks like a business building or storage house.

Next question, we just don't know how he seperated the vaginal canal. If you post the relavent testimony of which victim you are mentioning we can get further with that.

There is a picture of the Lusk letter, which I will also post, but the rest are lost to history.(thats what we think anyways)

Yours truly
      Attached Files
      Last edited by corey123; 02-06-2010, 05:46 AM.
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

thanks for your reply corey.
        I didnt know that you were from america.
        If you ever come to england I live very far from London in english terms (100 miles) however in american understanding I think 100 miles is hardly any distance at all!

So if you ever come over you are welcome to stay with me for as long as you like, for free obviously.

I would love to entertain an american ripperologist in my flat.

cheerio

doris
        ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Hello Doris,

Yep, I am from the US.

I doubt I will be coming to England any time soon, money issue. .

Anyways glad I could help, hope that was useful.

Again, welcome.

Yours truly
          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
          X