Lusk letter No.2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lusk letter No.2?

Found this interesting piece written on Nov2.

It talks about some of the Jack the Ripper letters. Ok thats normal.

But at the end it speaks of a letter sent to George Lusk. Ok that must be the From hell letter right? Well it isn't. Strangly, this is the first letter that I have seen that isn't the lusk letter sent to lusk.

I knew that he was sent letters before, but this one is interesting. The writer(obviously not Jack the Ripper) says "I think you are all asleep in Scotland Yard with your Bloodhounds"?

Does anyone even know if Lusk ever slept in Scotland Yard or had Bloodhounds?

Anyhow ,just thought it was a intersting piece.

Yours truly
    Attached Files
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Looking for something unrelated, I happened to see mention of this letter in the Pall Mall Gazette for Oct. 15. It mentions that Lusk received it "last Friday" which would make it Oct. 6, before "from Hell".

That means the letter writer of the latter may have seen this in the paper before he (or she) even wrote the "from Hell" letter.

Comment

Mattwill,
      October 15 1888 was a Monday so the previouse friday would have been the 12th, the 6th actuall fell on a saturday that year. but you are correct in saying that this letter would have precedded the From Hell letter as it was recieved on the 16th.

Also of interest, I notice the writer states that he is writing in black ink becouse he doesnt have any of the "proper" stuff. that could be a reference to the Dear Boss letter of September 27th.

Corey,
      Nice find!
      The bloodhounds the writer refers to may be Burgho and Barnaby, the two hounds used in the Hyde Park trials when the Metropolitan police were looking into the feasibility of using such animals to track the killer.
      'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

The first mention I can find of this letter occured in Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper (London, England), Sunday, October 14, 1888. This came after Lusk was mentioned in the press has being in charge of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee.
        Attached Files
        Regards Mike

Comment

This letter was then republished in,
          The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Monday, October 15, 1888

With the From Hell Letter and Parcel appearing in,
          The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Friday, October 19, 1888

Corey123, what was the source of this November 2nd article?
          Regards Mike

Comment

Yup, I was off by about a week, my brain took a vacation.

Anyway, another point of interest is that it says the handwriting of this resembles the handwriting of the "postcard sent to the news agency". Is it possible they were authored by the same hand? If so, why would a journalist (who most think wrote the postcard and the "Dear Boss" letter) write to George Lusk?

Comment

Mike,Smezenen,

Thanks. I found it in The Brandon Mail - Nov 1, 1888.

Smezenen,

I ment, were there any known instances when Lusk slept in Scotland Yard and did he own bloodhounds? I bet the writer wasn't from London so he was probally guessing. Perhaps the writer was refering to Burgho and Barnaby.

Matt,

Tom Bulling is more than likely the one who wrote the "Dear boss", "saucy Jacky", and "the threatening" letters. He probally did it to push business ahead for the Central news.

If this letter was from Bulling(I doubt it was) then he wouldn't have said the line about SY and the bloodhounds. I don't know why Bulling would write to Lusk. It would give the paper more news to write about, and maybe it was to cast away suspicion?

Yours truly

p.s Wounder if there is a picture of this letter anywhere??
              Last edited by corey123; 02-03-2010, 01:02 AM.
              Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Lusk received a few different letters and managed to get publicity from each one. Publicity for the vigilance committee meant 'donations' from the public, so it meant making money. And Lusk never slept with any bloodhounds. Also, Tom Bulling, who may not have written 'Dear Boss', has never been suspected of writing the Lusk letter. I personally believe the 'From Hell' letter to have been concocted by Joseph Aarons and other members of the vigilance committe, though probably not Lusk.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

I was only mentioning Tom Bulling because the letter above shows references to the "dear boss", and he definantly didn't write the "Lusk" letter.

I personally do think Jack wrote the Lusk letter.

I also personally think Bulling wrote three letters(three that I know about)purporting to be Jack.

I didn't think Lusk ever did sleep with bloodhounds, thats why I think the writer may not be a londoner.

Yours truly
                  Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

I think Bulling may have written the 'Moab & Midian' letter, and it was his handling of this missive that put him under suspicion of having hoaxed the whole set. He handed the police an envelope but no letter...only the TEXT of the letter, written in his own hand. My own feeling about this is that it is much easier to fabricate an envelope than a letter, so he fabricated the envelope but didn't or couldn't put the time necessary into writing a full letter in the 'Dear Boss' hand. And in doing this, he put himself and his boss under suspicion.

As for the Lusk letter, there's good reason to be Joseph Aarons was behind it. Certainly, the 'Box of Toys' postcard, which Lusk and others thought to be in the same hand as the 'From Hell' letter also mentioned 'boss', so that might tell you something about the validity of the 'From Hell' letter itself.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Mike,

Here is the whole page I got it from, the article posted above is highlighted.

Yours truly
                      Attached Files
                      Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

If Mike can read that, I have a job for him at NASA.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

I have heard of those letters, "The box of toys", and the "Moab & Midian " but I have never seen the pictures.

Are they available?

Yours truly
                          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey, the 'Moab and Midian' is, but remember that what you're looking at is a transcription in Bulling's handwriting. Likely there never was a 'true' letter. No facsimiles exist of the 'box of toys' postcard.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

I will try to enlarge it.

Yours truly
                              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                              X