Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different painter

Does anyone know anything about this?
    I found a short paragraph (in Norwegian) on google saying that the Danish painter
    Egill Jacobsen, had painted a "Jack the Ripper" painting that apparently hangs in the Danish Royal Palace in Copenhagen.

Here are some details of the said painter.

Jacobsen, Egill

(b Copenhagen, 16 Dec 1910). Danish painter. He studied at the Kongelige Danske Kunstakademi in Copenhagen from 1932 to 1933. Early influences upon him included the Danish painters Harald Giersing, Jens Søndergaard and Edvard Weie. However, he quickly discovered an individual, highly painterly form of expression using intense colours. After his début at the Kunstnernes Efterårsudstilling (Artists’ autumn exhibition) in Copenhagen in 1932, he went to Paris, where the work of Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse had a great impact on him. At the same time he sought inspiration in the folk art of Africa and in this he found a subject that ran through all his work: the mask. He was enchanted by its simple, archetypal form and in 1936 he exhibited mask pictures for the first time. The figurative and the colouristic aspects of his work culminated in Orange Object (1940; Copenhagen, Stat. Mus. Kst), which revealed the mask picture as simultaneously grotesque and Constructivist in character.

I believe, without being anywhere near sure, that one of his "mask" series is the painting in question. But have no idea. I have tried to find the answer, but throw it open to you all to help perhaps?

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hiya Phil
    Just been 'ferreting' our/your man and found these- odd stuff- and haven't traced the one to which you refer (Sounds like something out of Brief Encounter!)yet!!!- Still on the case though!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ej.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	658271

Name:	ej2.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	658272

Suzi x

Was all in Norweigan tho so may have missed the odd bit of 'information' ! Pass the absinthe!
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hello Suzi,
      Thanks... Brief Encounter eh?.. yup, all we need is the clock, strung acoss the road in Berner Street perhaps?

Interesting painter indeed this fellow. I can't find anything anywhere to back up the one-liner I found in Norwegian either. Hmmm.

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Done some more

Interesting (!)
        I reckon the second to last is the daftest and the last one just could be the one (!) x

Name:	ej3.jpg
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	658273

Name:	ej5.jpg
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	658274

Name:	ej7.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	658275

Name:	ej8.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	658276

What dya reckon?? Suz x

I do have to go to the library at Boots on a Tuesday though..............

Comment

Hello Suz,

Well, not being anywhere near an expert in modern art, or this genre, anything I say would be a total guess...but yes, the last one looks ummm, confusing enough?
          It has me totally baffled.

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            Hello Suz,

Well, not being anywhere near an expert in modern art, or this genre, anything I say would be a total guess...but yes, the last one looks ummm, confusing enough?
            It has me totally baffled.

best wishes

Phil
            Hi Phil
            Not being an expert in 'Modern' Art- but having taught it for 20 odd yrs- I haven't come across this guy- Come in Norma and JB

Comment

Working...
            X