Some Definitions Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stays weren't in the Way

Thanks all again. The stays are mentioned I think by a coroner who says that they "did not get in the way" of the killer's knife. Interesting. Maybe since they are a bosom gadget they were high enough to be out of the way. I think this regards Chapman's murder.

Comment

graphic depiction

Hello All. This may be of help.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        excellent. and who can forget the scene in "Gone With The Wind" when Scarlett is holding onto the bedpost and Mammy is pulling her stays tighter and tighter to get her to fit into the dress she was determined to wear!

It's no wonder women of the era were always fainting -- they couldn't breathe wearing those contraptions.

curious

Comment

anoxia

Hello Curious.

"It's no wonder women of the era were always fainting -- they couldn't breathe wearing those contraptions."

That's right.

The best.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
            excellent. and who can forget the scene in "Gone With The Wind" when Scarlett is holding onto the bedpost and Mammy is pulling her stays tighter and tighter to get her to fit into the dress she was determined to wear!

It's no wonder women of the era were always fainting -- they couldn't breathe wearing those contraptions.

curious
            Thanks, curious! Now I've got the picture. Would have called that thing a corset.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoulstonstreet View Post
              Thanks, curious! Now I've got the picture. Would have called that thing a corset.
              thinking about it, it probably was. The stays are shorter, I suspect. Never having worn either one, I'm not positive.

Comment

comparison

Hello Curious.

"The stays are shorter, I suspect."

That's correct. And that's why the stays were no obstacle to the mutilation, whereas a corset would have been.

Also, the primary function of the corset is to slim the waist; secondarily, perhaps, to emphasise the bosom. With stays, those 2 functions are inverted.

The best.
                LC

Comment

Great stuff- faint faint!!!

B U T the poor dears trawling the streets had no chance to get hold of anything remotely beautiful or whalebone related - to breathe in and out was probably their best plan for survival!!-

I seem to recall there was some sort of thing at the time-that was made of some sort of stiffened cotton or something- whatever it was (Must remember!)- it was cheap tho !!! Was it cambric??

1 - 2 - 3 -After me- B R E A T H E
                  Last edited by Suzi; 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM.
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    "What does a deerstalker hat actually look like?"

Remember the old Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes movies? The hat he wore whilst sleuthing was one.
                    A more rudimentary form of deerstalker was also commonly worn by dockyard labourers of the period.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Sam,

with 2 peaks also?

Amitiés,
                      David

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        Hi Sam,

with 2 peaks also?
                        I wouldn't know if they did, Dave - all I know is that it wasn't just middle-class sleuthing types who wore 'em!
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          I wouldn't know if they did, Dave - all I know is that it wasn't just middle-class sleuthing types who wore 'em!

Too bad, Sam.
                          Shabby-Genteel and Sailor-Man with the same cap...

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

Stays

Hi, Ghoustonstreet.

I'll see if I can explain 'stays' to you: Do you know what a bustier or a corset looks like?
                            It's a garment that covers the chest and some of the abdomen & serves as both a waist-cincher & a semi push-up bra.
                            Bras as we know them today hadn't been invented yet, so 19th & early 20th C. women had few options.

Corsets didn't offer the kind of support and elasticity that modern lingerie does, instead they used a combination of stiff support rods- the stays- and tightly criss-crossed lacing to achieve "control". An extremely small waist was fashionable, so corsets were often cinched very tightly to achieve that ideal.

The "stays" are specifically the firm supports sewn within the corset; in the LVP they were usually made of slender lengths of whale-bone.
                            The phrase "stays" eventually came to mean the whole corset, and that's how the doctors use it in discussing the Whitechapel victims.
                            Corsets were made in different lengths, depending on how much "control" the lady wanted or could afford.

To not wear a corset in public was considered indecent and made one "a loose woman" -literally!

Here's a link explaining the terms more fully: http://www.corsetsandcrinolines.com/...s.php?index=10

Hope that helps.
                            Best regards, Archaic
                            Last edited by Archaic; 12-27-2009, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I have just heard it said (on the BBC's radio show "My Word") that the Wideawake Hat was named because "it was made of some kind of felt which didn't have or didn't take a nap."

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                                I have just heard it said (on the BBC's radio show "My Word") that the Wideawake Hat was named because "it was made of some kind of felt which didn't have or didn't take a nap."
                                Which then begs the question, "what is a nap?"

Luckly, I'm trusting my wife here (ex weaver), the "nap" is the length of hair? or fibre, or that which can be brushed. A leather hat has no nap, a silk hat has a short nap which is brushed in one direction only.

If this is the case then a Wideawake hat is made of a material which does not require being brushed, is that what we are to understand?
                                So a Wideawake hat is not a style but refers to the material it is made from?

Anyone care to ellaborate?

Thanks, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X