No announcement yet.

Can someone verify these quotes for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone verify these quotes for me?

Hello, I am new the the boards but I have been looking around this website for a while. The Jack the Ripper case had caught my interest, particularly since I played Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper and found it so close to detail.

Anyway, I was thinking of writing something on the Ripper as a side story to a larger project, and I needed a few quotes verfied. My Dad had a Ripper book titled "Jack the Ripper: 100 years of Investigation The Facts The Fiction The Solution?" by Terence Sharkey.

When discussing Polly Nichols, the book says that Polly's husband William Nichols, upon seeing the body, murmurred "I forgive you for everything, now that I have seen you like this."

Obviously this is a rather touching line and I would like to use it, but I want to be as accurate as possible within the construct of my story and I have never seen this quote reported in my Dad's other two Ripper books, one being the Rumbelow book. I am also aware that some facts were off in the Sharkey book.

Also, I saw a Ripper documentary on Youtube with another quote I'd never heard before. It was in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdytcr8ANg

I'm interested in that quote by a witness that described the effect of seeing the body. That is a wonderful way to help describe the sheer horror of the crime, it really is, but I've never heard it before. I scanned the testimony of all the male witnesses on this site and didn't find it, and then I looked at the female witnesses and found nothing.

Can anyone verify if either of these two quotes are historically accurate for me, and in the case of the second could you tell me who said that?

Thank you.

"The Jack the Ripper A to Z" by Begg, Fido, and Skinner lists Nichols' quote as "Seeing you as you are now, I forgive you for what you have done to me." I know I have seen it elsewhere- but would have to go digging to be sure of where- as "I forgive you, as you are, for what you have been to me."

The A to Z also says he emerged from the mausoleum and said, "Well, there is no mistake about it. It has come to a sad end at last."
    Last edited by kensei; 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you so very much. I really should get that book.

Now if only I could verify the quote from the video.

Comment

Have you tried the Press Reports Reynard?

It's quite possible the quote was in the press not at the official inquests.
        You can view the Press Reports by the side bar on the left of your screen, they are fully searchable too!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Yes, yes I found it! Daily News September 13 1888. It was James Kent and it was exactly like in the documentary.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Reynard
            Hello, I am new the the boards but I have been looking around this website for a while. The Jack the Ripper case had caught my interest, particularly since I played Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper and found it so close to detail.
            Hi Reynard, and welcome to the boards. What is this game? Sounds interesting.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

There are a couple of threads on the game and I posted on one, so I'll try to summarize it. Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper is the fifth and latest in a series of Sherlock Holmes computer games put out by a company called Frogwares.

The game is stunning visually, and the makers of the game did an extreme amount of research, recreating scenes very well, such as the Hanbury Street Yard, and they added in tons of the witnesses and people involved, including several suspects.

You play as Holmes and Watson as they track down the Ripper, you sort through the facts and watch Holmes finally stop the Ripper (or does he? ).

The game's characters are modelled, I believe, off of Jeremy Brett and David Burke from the Granada TV series. Jeremy's performance was said to be the best TV Holmes portrayal ever.

I believe the game is 3GB and it's rated T.

You can find the page on the specific game here. http://www.sherlockholmes-thegame.co...p?rub=game-sh5

You can also go to the Videos section under Media on the right to have access to both of the trailers they put out, the first being the Portraits of Whitechapel Trailer and the second being the official trailer.
              Last edited by Reynard; 12-18-2009, 10:58 PM. Reason: I forgot something.

Comment

Working...
              X