escape routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• escape routes

Hello. I have seen discussions passim concerning Jack's escape routes from the various murder sites. I would, however, like to see a comprehensive discussion, all in the same thread, concerning the same.

It has been argued (effectively, I think) that he exited Mitre Square to the north and west since both Church passage and the Mitre street escape routes would have brought him face to face with a PC walking the beat.

What about the others? Are there important desiderata of which one should be aware? Is there a geographical pattern that may emerge?

Please feel free to include both the commonly accepted victims as well as purported victims here.

I am hopeful that this will prove a good research tool.

LC

Hello Lynn
    I have a theory that Jack may have had an accomplice in the form of George Morris,Kearley and Tonge's night watchman and it was within his premises that Jack took refuge until the opportunity to escape presented itself.This could explain the lapse in time between the discovery of the murder of Catherine Eddowes and the piece of her apron being discovered in Goulston street.

Comment

suggestion

Hello Cat. I presume the motive would have been financial?

So the suggestion is that, much later, Jack escaped via Church passage towards Goulston street?

The best.
      LC

Comment

Lynn

Any exit out of Mitre Square was possible.

1) St James passage, St James place. Blenkinsopp and the Firemen on duty that direction.

2) Church passage. If Jack was still in the square when Havery patrolled down that passage (if indeed he did) then following Harvey out is a thought. As Harvey was moving away from the square.

3) Mitre street. A south turn towards Aldgate would have bought him face to face with Watkins. A north turn taken him away. However Watkins testified he looked up and down just prior to turning into the square and finding Eddowes.

However you look at it, he did escape the scene.

Monty
        Last edited by Monty; 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM.
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Kolchak

Hello Monty. Quite right. He did escape Mitre square, and the Church passage PC and the Mitre street PC both saw nothing. Perhaps we'll have to do the Kolchak thing and allege Jack is an extraterrestrial or ghost. (snicker!)

The best.
          LC

Comment

How odd Lynn, I watched that episode last weekend.

I think he would have taken one of the two routes Foster drew, with St James passage my most likely. Halse took a similar one it seems in pursuit.

Just my views.

Nichols - Towards Whitechapel, as Cross and Long do not state they saw another person, and her murder seems recent.

Chapman - I cant see him clambering fences, no point. Straight out via the passage.

Stride - He was gone prior to Diemshutz entering the yard.

Kelly - The getting in is FAR more interesting than the exit. People mention the locked door and so forth but no one questions the obvious.

Monty
            Monty

Comment

Originally posted by cats meat man View Post
              Hello Lynn
              I have a theory that Jack may have had an accomplice in the form of George Morris,Kearley and Tonge's night watchman and it was within his premises that Jack took refuge until the opportunity to escape presented itself.This could explain the lapse in time between the discovery of the murder of Catherine Eddowes and the piece of her apron being discovered in Goulston street.
              Hi Cats Meat Man,

What motive would an accomplice have for helping Jack?

c.d.

Comment

Since he only (and willingly) left a trail once, we have to consider that he might have been leaving a false trail.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Lynn,c.d.
                  Good question about the motive an accomplice would have for helping Jack and probably one that only an accomplice could answer.If Jack did hide inside the premises of Kearley and Tonges he would also have had the piece of Catherine's apron.If it was feared that a search of the premises was going to take place then perhaps this was the time that it was decided that Jack would need to escape Mitre Square and take the piece of apron with him.

Comment

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...rs/index.shtml

The underground system has always intrigued me in regards to escape routes. This is a good article I found regarding the sewer and underground system.

Years ago I did a small bit of research on the locations of entrances in relation to the murders, but my notes are long gone. I do, however, recall that a sewer worker was not more than 20 yards from the murder in Mitre Square, and saw or heard nothing.

Best,

jerryd

Comment

left/right

Hello Monty. Thanks, that helps.

Did Jack turn right or left onto Hanbury? (Right?)

The best.
                      LC

Comment

sewer worker

Hello Jerry. Now there's an idea.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered whether Jack might BE a sewer worker? The wetness of his clothing would help mask any small blood stains.

Care to co-author a book?

The best.
                        LC

Comment

Think that would be the Binmen Foreman Jerry.

If he was 20 yards away at the time of the murder then the only logical location would be Mitre Street or the passages.

As Harvey, Blenkinsopp nor Watkins mention such a person its possible this story may have been made up.

Ive felt it may have been a confusion of Morris, who was sweeping up 20 yards away.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Author, I am not. But I sure have fun speculating on different ideas.

Monty,

I was going off recall, but now that you mention Binmen Foreman you are correct. I never put much credibility in the story either, as the man never testified at the inquest. By the way, wasn't Kate's body near a grate? Was that a coal grate or a passage to the underground?

jerryd

Comment

Here is the article on the Foreman taken from The Star, 4 Oct, 1888:

Only Twenty Yards Away.

In connection with the Mitre-square murder, the foreman of the sewer hands who are engaged at Aldgate in sweeping the streets in the early hours of the morning has stated most positively that at the time when the murder is supposed to have been perpetrated he was standing not more than 20 yards away from the spot where the body was found. He never heard any woman's cries for help, nor any sounds of a struggle.

I guess I took this to mean sewer worker Monty. It does say he is a street sweeper though as you indicated.

jerryd

Comment

Working...
                              X