Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help for school

Hey all,
    Obviously I'm new to Casebook. I have an assignment for a history class to write a 10-12 page paper about an unsolved mystery, and i chose to do JTR. I really don't know much and so far in my early stages of research, this site has been VERY helpful.

For the paper I am planning on taking the five most generally popular suspects explaining why it isn't any of the first four and then concluding with why it is whoever I choose to say it was.

I am a little stuck with where to begin and who I should choose for the main suspects except I know I need to include Walter Sickert because my teacher has read that book.

I'm here on the boards looking for suggestions, pointers, and generally any advice you guys could offer...

Thank you,
    Brian

possibilities

Hello Brian. Welcome!

It is wise to start with the old police suspects and those tangential.

So:

1. Aaron Kosminski
    2. Montague Druitt
    3. Severin Klosowski (aka, George Chapman)
    4. David Cohen (aka, Nathan Kaminski)
    5. Francis Tumblety
    6. Robert Stephenson (aka, Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson)

Have a go at the suspect boards first, will you.

Hope this helps.

The best.
    LC

Comment

Hi Brian.

In order that you are better able to evaluate the available 'suspects', you might care to read Chapter Six of the following:-

Good luck!

Garry Wroe.

Comment

AND please re-educate that teacher of yours re Sickert!!! Where are you based Brian?
        Check out the FACTS on Casebook here! Good Luck
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
          Hi Brian.

In order that you are better able to evaluate the available 'suspects', you might care to read Chapter Six of the following:-[/LEFT]
          Actually, Garry, for every good book, such as yours, that refers to "profiling" - by no means an exact science - I can probably find three or more others that are utter dreck. Some of this is, I'm pretty sure, down to the fact that we know very, very little about the true "psychological biographies" - or even life stories - of the average suspect. Even if profiling were a "settled" science, what hope have we, in all honesty, to deploy it to assess the Hutchinsons, Barnetts and Robert Manns of this world?

I would, however, urge Brian to read the whole of your splendid book (and I mean that sincerely), but to use his common sense in evaluating the suspects, rather than the after-the-event wisdom of the likes of Ressler, Keppel and Betty.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi Sam.

Many thanks for the glowing endorsement. Where I would hope the chapter in question might help a neophyte such as Brian is in pointing him towards a local nondescript rather than the Gull, Prince Albert Victor and Maybrick type of nonsense. Let us not forget, either, that his teacher may have swallowed some of the guff used to bolster Sickert’s candidacy. Heaven help us!

Again, many thanks for your supportive remarks.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
              Where are you based Brian?
              im in Denver, Colorado

thank you all for you suggestions so far... i at least have a start now

Comment

Brian, you've already elevated yourself above the majority of students who come here asking questions by virtue of the fact you've been good enough to come back and thank the people who've given advice.

PHILIP
                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Well said, Philip - and heartily seconded.

Garry, thanks for your kind reply also.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Gentlemen

Hello all,

Just thought I'd drop my oar in and say this..

It is SO good to see the established amongst us encouraging and helping those who are just starting off.. to all of you, I bow. We are all getting older, and one day the youngsters will remember us old 'uns for the attitude presented when they first started. Hopefully, by the time we are gone, some bright spark will wipe the floor with us all and solve 99% of the case!

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                      We are all getting older
                      I'm not.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Thanks to modern technology, by the time Brian kicks the bucket he will, if he chooses, know more than all of us put together. All except Philip who will refuse to kick the bucket.

Comment

Bucket kicking

Robert,

And to think, a couple of generations back, pre WWII, most detailed dissertion on JTR was limited to authors, ex high ranking policemen and the heirarchy of government. Now it is open house. Good luck to the kids I say!

best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                          Accountability? ....

Comment

Indeed Phil. JTR always needs new blood. I mean...well, you know what I mean.

Comment

From mi bed of flu/pain-...... Where's Brian L ?
                              Despite the flu- I'M PeterPan! x
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                              X