Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

witnesses reliability and the constructive nature of memory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• witnesses reliability and the constructive nature of memory...

I've been reading an excellent book called Pseudoscience and the Paranormal, by Terence Hines, which has had some interesting information in it regarding perception and memory which has led me to think a little about how often there are postings on here about witnesses and how stories change, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly, between sources reporting them, and whether these show the witnesses are lying or unreliable in some way.

Firstly, perception. Hines writes, "The constructive nature of perception is greatest when the actual sensory input is weak, unclear, or ambiguous."

What he means by constructive nature of perception is as follows: many people make the assumption that the information we receive from the objective world is recorded faithfully by the senses as if they were some kind of videotape; that we receive information passively.

Constructive perception, however, means that we take an active part in creating the meaning or significance of the data which we take in. Our experience of perception is highly subjective. This explains why several people witnessing the same thing can all draw attention to different aspects of what they have witnessed...everyone will see something slightly differently.

The quote above is pertinent in the case of the Ripper witnesses, since all the murders took place at night, in bad lighting etc...exactly the situation where the sensory data is unclear and ambiguous. This would explain why some of the witnesses accounts of what they saw were not completely clear, or that they could not be completely clear of what they saw, or thought they saw.

Similarly he says of memory, those who see it as likened to the act of video recording support the interpretation that "the act of remembering is basically a passive process of retrieving some piece of information that is stored in memory."

This is a mistaken view of memory. Recalling information is really "an interactive process in which the information that is stored can be altered in different ways (added to, made more or less specific, etc) by the situation the 'remember' finds herself in."

He quotes some interesting studies in which students were shown a film of two vehicles involved in a collision. Afterwards, they were split into two groups. One of the groups was asked a question which used the phrase 'smashed into'; the other students were asked a question which used the phrase 'hit' to describe the collision. The students who had been asked the question with the phrase 'smashed into' all estimated the vehicles were travelling at much higher speeds than they were. About a week later, the students were all asked if they remembered any broken glass in the film. The students who had been asked the question with the phrase 'smashed into' all remembered broken glass in the film; the others all remembered there was no broken glass. There actually had been no broken glass, yet the students weren't lying when they said they remembered it...they thought they remembered it because the phrase 'smashed into' would suggest a lot of debris and broken glass. This demonstrates how leading questions can affect memory, and i believe, in relation to the Ripper murders, it is more than likely that when being interviewed by journalists for newspaper reports, leading questions and suggestive remarks made my journalists eager to create a good story may well have influenced what certain witnesses came to 'remember' or 'forget' about the events/suspects they had witnessed.

I've rambled long enough but the whole idea of perception and memory being constructive not passive processes is fascinating to me, and is suggestive of explanations other than lying as to why versions of what witnesses claim to have seen/heard vary somewhat depending on what source one consults. I'd suggest the Police records of any witness statements would be more reliable than press reports, since one would expect them to be using fewer leading questions and to be more responsible in going about the business of assembling as much useful information regarding the murders as possible.

any thoughts/opinions welcome
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Witness statements are frustrating. It really doesn’t matter what the lighting conditions are like, what time of day it is or what area of town the incident happened in, eye witnesses are going to give you different accounts of the same event. That’s why the four gospels are different, same event different perspective and often not told by the actual witnesses but just recalled through other sources…heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from a cousin, who heard it from another source…

The traffic accident scenario given in the book you read is really good and sums up witness statements in a nut shell. Traumatic events, like a traffic accident, are not like video footage but rather like a series of snap shots. Whereas a video will keep rolling, a series of snap shots will only tell a single instance followed by another single instant followed by another, so on and so forth. In between each snap shot lies a gap of time and space with no information. The way human mind works is we will fill in those gaps with what we think happened. “I signaled my turn…” “He did not signal his turn…” “Her tail lights were out…” and the extremely popular, “He came out of nowhere!”

By filling in the gaps, humans will formulate their telling of the incident in the order and fashion that fits their need. They are not lying, they are just…confused, for lack of a better term. Things get worse when the witnesses get together at the scene and begin to talk to each other about what they saw. Now they all begin piecing together a story for the police. To make matters even worse, they will go home to family and close friends and relate their experience and then the well meaning family and friends will begin helping them fill in the gaps. “You know I remember seeing something like this on t.v. or in a movie, or I had a similar experience…” Now the story has really changed and usually the witness cannot wait to tell the police their new version. This is why police immediately begin sequestering the witnesses at the scene.

However, all of the different witness versions of the same incident are quite helpful. Because a story that goes off like clock work, a story that can be told with precision, a story with no faults, stutters and mistakes is a hallmark of something wrong, an indication that witness has spoken with others and they have rehearsed their story. These stories will almost always break down under closer scrutiny.

In some cases, the story doesn’t break down this is especially in a lone witness being able to give a perfect accounting of an incident, the same account over and over, able to account the story from any starting point - - beginning, middle or end - - this is what, in police jargon is called a clue. This perfect, single, eyewitness account is a usually a broad piece of deception. Very often this perfect eye witness is the perpetrator. This is because nothing in life, barring direct Divine intervention, is perfect right out of the blocks. Perfection does not come without much practice. This amount of practice does not come on the spur of the moment, but with much fore thought. The perfect statement from the perfect witness is enough to make this witness a “person of interest.”
    Happy Hunting

Artemis

Are you willing to do anything for the person you love?

Comment

In the Ripper case,as in some murders,it may be that it is not a case of false memory,but of deliberate false testimony.How to separate the two?

Comment

After 121 years, good luck. However, all the witness statements would have to taken into consideration to give an accurate discription. As stated by Lady Bird, the police notes and then coroner's inquest is the best records. Then, if not available the news paper accounts.
        Happy Hunting

Artemis

Comment

Lady Bird?

Ooo i feel quite aristocratic!

Yes it would be interesting to do a comparative, taking one witness and their statements as they progress from Police through inquest through media...to see what new details appear and what original details disappear...I may do so when i get time.
          babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Interrogation technique:

Just answer yes or no.

Were you near the crime scene on the time and date in question?

Did you know the victim?

Do you own a car like the one described by the witnesses?

Have you ever visited the area of town where the murder took place?

Can anyone support your alibi?

Was the victim face down when you left them?
            Happy Hunting

Artemis

Comment

I think one thing is clear, if a witness stated that they did not get a good look at a suspect and could not identify him again 2 weeks after the sighting....thats not the kind of guy you want to call for witness/suspect parades months and years later.

Cheers all.

Comment

Working...
              X