I Had a Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Had a Dream

MR. POLAND. Q. Did you ever know of a case of a man fighting with a woman for half-an-hour under an hallucination? A. No—I daresay I had seen the prisoner ten or twelve times before this occurrence—he always appeared to me a childish man, uncertain in his way of speaking and acting—he was able to attend to his business, I suppose; I had nothing to do with him at the hotel; I have attended him—he appeared perfectly calm when I saw him at the station.

COURT. Q. Were you examined before the Magistrate? A. Yes, once; I stated to the Magistrate all that I saw at the time I was called to the hotel and at the station—I gave no statement of opinion as to his mind; there was no question asked me—I said he seemed to understand that something had occurred, but did not know what.

GEORGE EUGENE YARROW . I am surgeon to the G division of police—on the morning of 15th January, about 6.30, I was sent for to the Old Street police-station—I saw the prisoner there and examined him—he had a wound on the third finger of the left hand, just below the nail, about the site of a fourpenny piece—it was merely an abrasion of the skin, just through the two skins—it was bleeding then—the inspector called my attention to it—it was a kind of wound that might have been produced by a bite—the next finger, the fourth, had also a slightly incised wound, not of the same character, that was an incised wound—his hands were covered with blood, and his face was bespattered with blood—the wound on the fourth finger might have been caused by coming in contact with a piece of broken glass—there was blood on the sleeves of his shirt and on the breast—I afterwards saw blood on the lower part of his shirt, and on the trowsers—I dressed his finger—he said "Thank you," several times—he seemed quite calm—he smelt of drink—he was quite sober—I saw a candlestick covered with blood, at the station—there was a small quantity of brain matter on the lower part of it, human brain I took it to be—this is the candlestick, but all the blood and brain matter has been wiped off—it was at the base, on the edge, and there were some long hairs attached to it which are gone now—there was a piece broken out—that was covered with blood, and also had brain substance on it—the composition that filled this up, to be a weight to steady it, was found in the prisoner's room in my presence, and I fitted it—I afterwards went to the kitchen of the hotel about 6.45—I saw the body of the deceased on the floor—she was lying on her back, in the door-way leading from the kitchen to a small sleeping apartment—the head and body were in the kitchen, and the feet and part of the legs in the bedroom—the clothes were thrown up over the body, exposing the person and the lower part of the abdomen—the right stocking was pulled down over the boot, and the breasts were exposed—the right arm was bent upwards and the hand clenched; the left arm was lying down by the side—there was a bonnet on the head—it was tied tightly round—I removed it—it was on the back part of the head, it had got out of its place—there was a large lacerated wound on the right side of the head, involving nearly the whole of the right side of the face, the fracture of the temporal bone, and the upper and lower jaw bones on that side—on the left eyebrow there was an incised wound, about an inch in length, coming over the eyebrow and eyelid—the right eye was partially dislodged from the socket; the left eye was contused, blackened, and the nose bones were both broken—I don't think I examined more minutely at that time; I made a post-mortem examination next day—I observed that some of the teeth were loose in the mouth—I took the

See original
    things which the policeman has produced out of the pocket; that win all that was in the pocket—she was very poorly dressed, the clothes were very old; she had on an old brown dress and side-spring boots—she was quite dead when I got there—I have no doubt she had been dead two hours; I believe certainly more—I had the body removed to the dead-house, and afterwards made a post-mortem examination—she was about twenty-six years of age, 4ft 11 in. in height; a very spare figure, fairly nourished—I examined her left hand, and between the finger and thumb I found about twenty short, brown curly hairs—I believe they were taken off the prisoner; they were his hairs—the hands were clenched, and there was some blood in the hand, and the hairs were matted together—I put them into a plate for the purpose of cleaning them, and some of them were thrown away—I have only been able to keep two or three, which I produce—in the wound on the head, that communicated with the brain, there were a number of small pieces of green glass, and some resinous substance, a small portion of which I have preserved—I compared it with the stuff at the bottom of the candlestick, and it was the same kind of stuff—an instrument like the candlestick would make a wound of that kind, and the bottles also—the back of the left hand was very much contused, and there were five or six incised wounds, and there were four or five incised wounds also on the back of the right hand—there were incised wounds on some of the fingers—there were bruises on the right thigh, down to the knee—the right knee was very much bruised—there were scratches also about the private parts and on the left thigh—the bruises on the right thigh were quite high up—there were scratches on the inner part of both thighs—they were all in the inner part of the thighs—they varied from about the site of a five-shilling piece to about the size of the palm of my hand—that on the knee involved the whole of the inside of the knee—that might have been caused by resistance to connexion—that was the only way in which I could account for them—there were some scratches on the left side of the private parts—I opened the stomach; it contained about 3/4lbs. of a dark-coloured fluid, with some white substance in it, consisting of fish and potato, and there was some potato peeling—the fluid smelt of wine; claret, I believe—I found no evidence of connexion having recently taken place.

COURT. Q. She was a woman of the town? A. Yes—the hymen was absent—no doubt connexion had taken place; but I found no evidence of recent connexion—I found no seminal fluid either in the vagina or about the private parts—supposing connexion had taken place after 2 o'clock that morning, I might have found some traces—it would be rather a long time afterwards to find it—the fracture of the skull was the immediate cause of death.

Cross-examined. Q. I don't understand you to pledge your opinion as to when she had last had connexion, whether it was within a few hours, or several hours? A. Certainly not; I do not give it as an opinion; I say I found no evidence that she had recently had connexion—in the ordinary course I should not expect the seminal discharge to remain in the vagina probably more than an hour—it might be overcome by a variety of causes; by natural discharge of her own—I do not venture to say she might not have had connexion within two or three hours of the time I saw the body—I believe the bruises and scratches were caused immediately before death—I think I may speak to the scratches with more certainty than the bruises

See original
    —we do not usually find an indication of A bruise until some hours have elapsed after the injury has been inflicted—it is my opinion that the scratches were not caused six or eight hours before.

MR. POLAND. Q. As to the bruises, was it consistent with their appearance that they were caused recently before death? A. I believe they were caused a short time before death; not six or eight hour before, but quite recently before death.

COURT. Q. Would the discoloration which is attendant upon a bruise, generally present itself after death? A, Oh, yet, it may be caused immediately after death; but the blood that is effused close by the side of a scratch would not present itself unless it was caused immediately before death, and before the body was cold—I made the post-mortem examination on the Sunday, about 1.30—it was not until then that I saw the hairs in the hand—she had then been removed from the hotel.

Hi AP,
    too exhausted to read your post, but nothing boring (except a football match without Steven Gerrard) like a woman who narrates her dream at breakfast time.

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

I'd simply suggest that you read a post before posting on it.

Comment

Hi Cap'n Jack, I read your post, but I didn't understand it. Is it about another murder? Or imagining something? Sorry, who is the woman DVV is referring to?
        Slow on the uptake gabs.
        A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. (O Wilde)

Comment

greetings Gabs
          the point being that here we have a mature adult who relates to his world in a childish fashion, and spends half an hour murdering a prostitute, and then doesn't even know he has done such a terrible thing.
          I believe such for Jack.
          It is a real case.
          We are the illusion. Or dream.

Comment

oh, well, I sure hope I'm in not on this sort of dream, but... point taken, Cap'n. And very likely it is.
            Why is it growing up is so difficult for people, do you think?
            I mean, As a child, I couldn't wait to grow up, and apart from middle age spread, I'm quite pleased I did!
            A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. (O Wilde)

Comment

Working...
            X