No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I remember when the garrote was still being used. I think I remember reading about the practice in a Time Magazine article. It might be debated whether it would be considered civilized or not.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

They also had aerial observation and photography that they might have utilized. There were both hot air and light gas balloons as well as some primitive airships that could have been used as a platform.

Stan Reid

Comment

There were even experiments with aerial photography using kites and rockets about this time, I believe - unmanned of course.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Mattix View Post
          I've read or heard that two or three centuries back burning was the preferred method of execution for women as it was considered indecent to hoist them in the air and expose their privates.

Ladies were burnt for petty treason, but still hanged for other capital offenses.

doris
          ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Mattix View Post
            I've read or heard that two or three centuries back burning was the preferred method of execution for women as it was considered indecent to hoist them in the air and expose their privates.

Ladies were burnt for petty treason and witchcraft, but still hanged for other capital offenses.

Another dreadful and interesting punishment was boiling to death, Henry VIII had this added to the list of punishments for poisoning (and my researches indicate that the water was raised to temperature after the victim had been inserted into the vessel).

doris

Ive done it again-reposted as opposed to editing, sorry. Again.
            ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

I believe the last execution in England by something other than hanging was in 1941. That was by firing squad.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
                Another dreadful and interesting punishment was boiling to death, Henry VIII had this added to the list of punishments for poisoning (and my researches indicate that the water was raised to temperature after the victim had been inserted into the vessel).
                Yes, the serial killer Margaret Davey was boiled alive in 1542.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  I believe the last execution in England by something other than hanging was in 1941. That was by firing squad.
                  That would be Josef Jakobs who was executed for Treachery in connection with entering England for the purpose of advancing the cause of Nazi Germany. Eight shooters all hit Jakobs although one shot was to the head instead of the targeted heart.

Stan Reid

Comment

I think the last death sentence in the U.K. was for a similar crime in 1971 and was not carried out of course.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      I think the last death sentence in the U.K. was for a similar crime in 1971 and was not carried out of course.
                      It was in N. Ireland for something like treason, I believe.

Stan Reid

Comment

That fellow sentenced to death in N. Ireland was named William Holden and it was actually 1973. He was reprieved later in the year.

The last people executed on British soil were a couple of chaps hanged in Bermuda during 1977.

A source I have says the death penalty wasn't totally abolished in all British overseas territories until 2002.

This former overseas territory still has it, at least in most states.

Stan Reid

Comment

This one, fortunately, does not. The last execution by hanging in Canada was on December 11, 1962 at Toronto's Don Jail.

Comment

Would that be St Kitts which abolished it in 2002? I rmember that Bertil Fox's death sentance was commuted that year to a life sentance.
                            if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Sorry about the tardy response Joel. I don't know if it was St. Kitts but from what you said that sounds like a promising bet.

Stan Reid

Comment

I can imagine some 1880s computer geek setting up a program for a Bertillon version of AFIS, ABIS if you will, on the Babbage Analytical Engine.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X