Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    Hi Ginger:

Yes, my next to oldest son has a breech loading civil war rifle that uses that type of ammunition. I forgot its name but I have loaded and shot it a few times.
    I found out that it was Smith Carbine.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The revolver Civil War repeating rifle had a propensity to burn the forearm on your non trigger pulling appendage.

Stan Reid

Comment

The revolver Civil War repeating rifle had a propensity to burn the forearm on your non trigger pulling appendage.
        Indeed? From hot gas leakage between the cylinder and barrel?
        - Ginger

Comment

• Yes Ginger, that was it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            Indeed? From hot gas leakage between the cylinder and barrel?
            There is a modern revolver rifle/shotgun made by Rossi/Taurus but hopefully it has some shielding to prevent powder burning one's forearm.

Stan Reid

Comment

• They had mechanical refrigeration in 1888 but no genius had yet figured out that you could pipe that into a room and have air conditioning.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The electric fan had been invented but it wasn't in wide use yet.

Stan Reid

Comment

The electric fan had been invented but it wasn't in wide use yet.
                  So theoretically the proverbial could have hit it when Warren learnt of the death of Mary Kelly Stan

Comment

• No doubt about it!

Stan Reid

Comment

The revolver Civil War repeating rifle had a propensity to burn the forearm on your non trigger pulling appendage.
                      It was still a cap and ball weapon, I believe, so you needed to have several cylinders loaded up if you wanted to be effective and use more than six shots. By 1888, it would have been an all metal cartridge gun.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The Colt rifle was initially used by Berdan's Sharpshooters in the Civil War...Soon replaced by Sharps, due to afore-mentioned problems......BTW, as 1888 saw the British replace the Martini-Henry and socket bayonet with the Lee-Metford and knife Bayonet, I wonder which type was thought to have been used on Tabram.........?

Comment

• "Crossness Pumping Station at east London near river Thames contains four big sewage pumping engines, one of them -- Prince Consort -- restored to working condition. ... The engines are three-cylinder triple expansion engines - upgraded from single cylinder Watt engines (1865) in 1899."

A little video clip (7:17 min) I came across and thought I'd share.

Crossness Pumping Station at east London ( http://www.crossness.org.uk/ ) near river Thames contains four big sewage pumping engines, one of them -- Prince C...

Must be hynotizing watching that engine for a while ...

If Jack crawled through the sewers, this could be the place where he saw the light of day again.

Comment

• Thanks K - some beautiful machinery there!

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                              BTW, as 1888 saw the British replace the Martini-Henry and socket bayonet with the Lee-Metford and knife Bayonet, I wonder which type was thought to have been used on Tabram.........?
                              I always assumed that it was some sort of bayonet shaped like something other than a knife otherwise why would they assume it was anything other than a knife wound.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'Day Stan

A knife as a rule has one cutting edge, a dagger 2 and a Bayonet either two or is "diamond" shaped f its an older one. That will be what it was based on I expect.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X