X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reappearing evidence

Hi all,
    First post, so go easy on me!

My main interest in the Whitechapel Murders is how a real sequence of events morphs into legend; producing a near mythical figure like Jack the Ripper. But as with all things; the details of the case, and its unsolved nature mean it burrows under your skin! So advance apologies to any long time members who roll their eyes at “Oh no, not this again”

There’s something that’s bothering me about the evidence, and despite a pretty good search of this fine site over a few days, there seems to be little or no discussion about it …

My question/thoughts relate to the evidence that went missing then turned up; I’m sure I’m not the first to wonder just how rigorously the documents were check for authenticity?

My real itch comes from Bond’s coroners report on Mary Kelly; it seems quite important in the overall picture of things – Am I right in thinking it turned up with the other items, from the unnamed policeman’s family handing a lot of items over? Which also neatly coincided with the centenary of the murders? And has it ever been formally checked by any kind of expert, or even an academic (historian/medical) with knowledge of the LVP?

Hi Arken,

Dr Bond's post-mortem report on Mary Kelly was sent to Scotland Yard in a brown envelope (posted from Croydon) in November 1987. With it was the original 'Dear Boss' letter and some documents relating to the Crippen case.

The documents given to the police by the relative of the former (deceased) police officer included the (previously unseen) mortuary photos of Nichols, Chapman and Stride, as well as the second MJK crime scene photo (taken from the foot of the bed). This was in 1988 and was reported in several national newpapers on 19th August of that year.

JB

Comment

Hi Arken,

Thoughtful questions. Welcome to the site.

Best wishes,

Cel
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Concerning the lost evidence I would like to ask if the persons which had access to the files and evidence, and their relatives were ever (systematically) asked and investigated. I think that in all the years there was only a limited number of persons with access to the files, or was every policemen allowed to go the archives?
        I can imagine that there is still a large number of persons to ask and many basements and attics to be searched, but maybe one will find something important like a report on the Seaside Home identification or some note-books about the house-to-house inquiries.

But I fear that someone has already carried out this task and it was rather fruitless.

Best regards,
        Frank

Comment

Thanks for the details, JB. And Hello, Celesta & Frank !

As always with the Ripper, one answered question just opens up another handful!
          (not directed at you, JB, but if you know the answers, feel free!)

Are any of these pieces available to the public?
          Has anyone actually seen the MJK report? Or know who authenticated it? I believe I’m right in thinking that the date places its re-appearance at around the same time John Morrison was also in the public eye about MJK?

Also: are there any resources about Mr Morrison? He seems to just get swept away as a bit of a nutter, most of the time. Is there any established knowledge about his motivations? There was a pamphlet he wrote, but apart from that, and his erecting a head stone to MJK (in the wrong place?), there seems to be no other information.

I’d hate to think that a decent forgery (the MJK report) slipped through for the sole reason that it was in amongst some authentic documents.

Comment

Originally posted by Arken View Post

Are any of these pieces available to the public?
            Has anyone actually seen the MJK report? Or know who authenticated it? I believe I’m right in thinking that the date places its re-appearance at around the same time John Morrison was also in the public eye about MJK?
            Hi Arken, me again!

The MJK post-mortem report is at the National Archives in file MEPO 3/3153 along with the 'Dear Boss' letter and the other documents that were returned in November 1987. I was granted access in 2006 and it took a while to get permission. They are under special conditions owing to the nature of the material (ie everybody wants to get their hands on 'em!). The report itself is handwritten on several sheets - here's a poor quality photo I took at the time of one page (my camera was crap). You'll notice an official stamp at the top of the first sheet.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	BOND MJK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	657097

Originally posted by Arken View Post
            Also: are there any resources about Mr Morrison? He seems to just get swept away as a bit of a nutter, most of the time. Is there any established knowledge about his motivations? There was a pamphlet he wrote, but apart from that, and his erecting a head stone to MJK (in the wrong place?), there seems to be no other information.
            John Morrison appeared to get quite a lot of local media coverage in 1986 when he pronounced that he had solved the case. The Bishopsgate Institute has numerous newspaper clippings from 1986/7 regarding him, including when he erected the Kelly headstone in December '86. All this of course was before the return of the MJK report etc.

I have some of these clippings. I'll dig a good one out and post it if it would be of any use. I also believe that the material that Morrison used for his research is now in the Tower Hamlets Archives, which means it should be easy enough to access.

JB

Comment

Bond's Report

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
              The MJK post-mortem report is at the National Archives in file MEPO 3/3153 along with the 'Dear Boss' letter and the other documents that were returned in November 1987. I was granted access in 2006 and it took a while to get permission. They are under special conditions owing to the nature of the material (ie everybody wants to get their hands on 'em!). The report itself is handwritten on several sheets - here's a poor quality photo I took at the time of one page (my camera was crap). You'll notice an official stamp at the top of the first sheet.
              Here is the first page of Bond's report photographed before it went to the Public Record Office (TNA), the handwriting is not Bond's but is believed to be that of Dr Hebbert -

Name:	bondpage1.jpg
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	657098
              SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

John Morrison

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                John Morrison appeared to get quite a lot of local media coverage in 1986 when he pronounced that he had solved the case. The Bishopsgate Institute has numerous newspaper clippings from 1986/7 regarding him, including when he erected the Kelly headstone in December '86. All this of course was before the return of the MJK report etc.
                Morrison's suspect was James Kelly, whom he believed that Jim Tully had pinched from him. Here's an extract from an early letter of Morrison's, he seems to have been quite eccentric and liked his drink.

Name:	johnmnd.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	657099
                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

thank you

John and Stewart for posting those document images. Very interesting.
                  babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Working...
                  X