The Nutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nutter

I've seen reference here and there in chats about making one's way around Whitechapel today about a local character people simply refer to as "The Nutter," who is apparently encountered on a regular basis. When I was in London last September and met Philip Hutchinson on his tour I was about to tell him about my experience of being searched by police in Mitre Square, and I'd just said, "I had quite an experience in Mitre Square yesterday" when Phil said, "Oh, was the Nutter there?" But I'm not clear on just what sort of fellow the guy is, or the things he does that give him his title.

Well, I was just thinking about another experience I had on that trip in that same week when just about to visit the Tower of London, which is right at the edge of Whitechapel, and I'll try and remember it as best I can. Sitting on a bench in the low spot outside Tower Hill tube station was a man possibly 30-ish in appearance, with long brown hair and (I think) at least some facial hair, wearing a fairly heavy long coat, and as crowds of people passed by ignoring him he was speaking to no one in particular in a very loud voice about his long and woeful experience with the British mental health care system. On and on and on he went about how he'd been victimized and exploited, obviously wanting everyone to hear him though never focusing in on any one person, just sitting there alone and pontificating. It went on for so long that I eventually got bored with it and left. He was quite articulate and well spoken but obviously had at least a couple of screws loose.

So, was that the famous Nutter? Whether yes or no, I wonder if anyone would like to post about their experiences with him.

Always Tower Hill tube station. I walked from there last October in those tunnel-y areas and some bloke grabbed ahold of my upper arm and stopped me quite roughly only to tell me that he liked my jacket. He wasn't even a mugger or a rapist as he just went on his way after that, but it was a bit weird. I'm not sure if he was the nutter, but he could've been a nutter. He had a skinhead and one of his bottom front teeth missing and he was in his late thirties or early forties and dressed like a chav. The whole experience was over in seconds and it wasn't nearly as interesting as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
      When I was in London last September and met Philip Hutchinson on his tour I was about to tell him about my experience of being searched by police in Mitre Square, and I'd just said, "I had quite an experience in Mitre Square yesterday" when Phil said, "Oh, was the Nutter there?"
      Kensei,

I'm guessing JPDL.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Leman Street Nutter

....though Im not comfortable with the word 'Nutter'...

I think Philip is referring to this guy we met on the very first London job some years back.

Philip, Rob Clack, John Bennet, Nats Severn and myself conducted our own tour around the sites on a wet day in May. We were in Leman Street when this huge West Indian rasta approached us in full dreadlocks and was of rather unkemp appearance.

Being at the back of the group and engaged inconversation with Nats I hadnt noticed young Masters Hutchinson Bennett and Clack bugger off in different directions until it was too late. I was then confronted by this giant collosus, a Predator lookalike, who then asked me for some spare change. As Im fumbling for this change he puts his arm around me and then declares to the whole street how wonderful it was that I was taking my mother out for a walk. Poor Nats looked so offended. Hutchinson, Clack and Bennett could be seen giggling in the distance. Eventually he left us be and we proceeded to Swallow Gardens. We then returned to Leman Street only to see this Guy again shouting and hailing us, at which point the three Amigos disappeared rather up Leman Street sharpish....Ive only seen Rob move that quick when I pointed out it was his round back in the bar of the Ibis in 2007.

And there by the grace of God goes the Leman Street Nutter.....as did Philip, John and Rob, the buggers.

Monty

PS, actually I think Philip is referring to De Locksley.
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Doesn't 'nutter' mean 'one who masturbates'? And the term got stuck on crazy people because, Lord knows, only crazy people masturbate? It's not a word we use in the states. What's the etymology?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom

UK defination of 'Nutter'

Noun 1. nutter - a person who is regarded as eccentric or mad
            wacko, whacko
            eccentric, eccentric person, oddball, flake, geek - a person with an unusual or odd personality

Coral

Comment

Tom,

Why are you hung up on 'masturbation'? Do you want to talk about it? I'm here and I'm listening...

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

You're such a voyeur, Graham Slam.

Thanks Coral!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

Non, je ne suis pas un voyeur...je suis un ecouteur.

Bon nuit,

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I didnt look offended Monty---I didnt even hear him!But hey---I was a bit surprised to see those buggers race off with their ears pinned back in fright and only gallant little Monty showed any chivalry!

Comment

Slam,

I think your keyboard is broken.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Nutter and Chav

Hi, everyone! If you want a good laugh, read the entries for both Nutter and Chav on Wikipedia! (*Sorry; I am currently unable to post a live link for you due to a laptop problem- perhaps another member would oblige? Thanks.)

Actually, Tom wasn't far off: ''A Nutter (or Nut-gatherer) is one who gathers nuts and is hence a family name and a place name. The word nutter is also a pejorative term describing certain behavioral characteristics.'' (If you check the Related Links, there's also an interesting tie-in to WitchCraft.)

The word Chav is believed to derive from either ''the Romany language'', OR ''the vicinity of Cheltenham''!
                        How's that for unusual word origins? I especially love the short-lived ''Chavrolet'' automobile.

Well, I learn something new every day! Much good may it do me, and all of us. -Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                          I didnt look offended Monty---I didnt even hear him!But hey---I was a bit surprised to see those buggers race off with their ears pinned back in fright and only gallant little Monty showed any chivalry!
                          What do you mean 'little'?

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                            Hi, everyone! If you want a good laugh, read the entries for both Nutter and Chav on Wikipedia! (*Sorry; I am currently unable to post a live link for you due to a laptop problem- perhaps another member would oblige? Thanks.)
                            Here they are...

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

''See the U.S.A. In Your Chavrolet...''

Thanks, Stephen! I'm afraid it's those same recalcitrant laptop keys; the hi-tech HOOVERING you advised was unsuccessful.
                              Good old Laptop Vivisection is next.

I hope you are now inspired to (Key the old jingle) ''SEE the U-S-A in your CHAV-RO-LET...''

What a road-trip that would be. Don't miss the SNAKE PIT on Old Highway 99. - Cheers, Archaic

Comment

Working...
                              X