Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The LVP non-English press reports, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LVP non-English press reports, please!

Hello you all!

These boards have very interesting articles about the Ripper from Great Britain, USA and Canada.

But just out of interest;

I hope, the members from the non-English speaking countries could present more articles about the case on these boards.

Me?! I do remember one Finnish member on the crashed boards presenting the contemporary reports from Turku news-papers. I hope, he could do it again...

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Hi Jukka,
    excellent idea. I'd like to present some French articles, but I will have no time in the coming months for such a research. Must be a winter work for me.
    Hope I'll read some Finnish material in between time!

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

Hi Jukka,
      I thought about you when I posted this link to digitized Finnish newspapers a while back.

It goes up to the year 1890 so it would be great to know if there's anything different in there waiting to be discovered!

I think I also posted links to some German and other European papers for anyone interested in searching them, not sure where the thread is now though.

Comment

Hi again Jukka,
        After checking the archive I mentioned out again, I hope you do get the chance to look through some of these Finnish articles and translate some of them for us....please
        There seems to be quite a lot of articles on Jack. I'm interested in an 1893 article entitled something like 'Jack the Ripper is a gang' ( I'm sort of guessing that's what it says..) it seems to mention streets I've never heard of before.

Comment

Also, Jukka, the Finnish papers might have been a bit freer than the British Press when reporting on the Cleveland St scandal.

Debs, great find but where does the 1893 one come from? It seems to go up to 1890 as you said before.

Comment

Debs, this is the Rotherhithe case that we discussed in some detail a long time ago, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Also, Jukka, the Finnish papers might have been a bit freer than the British Press when reporting on the Cleveland St scandal.

Debs, great find but where does the 1893 one come from? It seems to go up to 1890 as you said before.
              Yes Robert, I wondered about that after I posted, but when I rechecked there seemed to be quite a few articles that spanned up until 1893.

AP, jog my memory a little, Rotherhithe rings a bell. Is it the Liz Stride type throat cutting by a sailor, out on the streets, the one where the sailor was helped in his escape by the captain of the ship who arranged his passage away from London and disposed of his bloodstained clothes for him too?...or a different one?

Comment

That's it, Debs, 'ere is the report from July 7th 1893:
                Attached Files

Comment

"Antonio Donati", eh? His brother, Duncan, opened a chain of pastry outlets - in direct competition with Vittoria "Krispy" Cremers.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks for that reminder, AP
                    I still like the bit at his trial where the doctor is explaining exactly how the throat cutting was done, only for the accused to turn around and tell the court it happened nothing like that and went on to demonstrate exactly how he'd done it.

Comment

Hello you all!

An interesting Finnish link, thanks, Debs!

Unfortunately the Clumsy Me is looking for the right search words!

All the best
                      Jukka
                      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                      X