X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elise - October 1888

'A LADY'S LETTER FROM LONDON.

[By Elise].

Loxdon*, October 1 1 . Duaii Mr Editor. -The cold weather has set in unusually early, and we arc evidently going to experience another long and bitter winter. What will happen if the Vi hitcchapel murderer or murdorers are not caught before " thesombrous c eason of fogs •wraps London in its Cimmerian iolds," I dread to think. Cold, hungor, and darkness am bad enough for the poor East End unfortunates to have to bear, without an ever - haunting fear of murder and suddon death superadded. They say the bye-ways of Whitechapel have been quite deserted since the lasfc crime, or crimes. The miserable women who used to frequent them dare, not leave the well-lighted main streets. As for rescue homo* and Magdalen institutions, they hae,filied to overflowing. The womeiuwill not scay in thorn lonir. Both matrons and rlergy know that This era en fear can overcome even the love of gin for a time, bub diiectiy it fades or the murderer is caught the. miserable creature? will rebel. They are far beyond reclamation. 1 anrglud, nevertheless, to feel that some kindly soul means to erect temporary shelter, halls' in the neighbourhood of the murders, which will be open to women o nly, and where a me and tables and benches, with, in extreme rases, bread and water, will be piovided. This pla-i sounds at once sensible and philanthropic. As a rule, what, arc known as '"Doss Hou>o Philanthropists " make their quest- a gtoat deal too comfortable, with the i'Cmiilg that they are imposed on by scores of sturdy beggarsj who otherwise -would be paying for their '" doss " at the rate of 4d a day, or 2s a week, in the common eating-houses. Tom attended the Berners-street inquest on business one day last week. Pic says you happy colonists can form only the vaguest idea of the sort of human beings the lowest strata at the East End are. The sister of the poor woman Stride was a ginsodden'ed virago, and identified her mutilated relative with ghoulish relish. From first to last this woman's transparent object was to turn the cataslrope to account somehow. So obvious did the past become that the coroner coubted whether she /'•««. the deceased's sister. Others, too, were sceptical on the point, but the story she told in the main proved accurate Xot one word of honest pity for the dead woman's shocking fats crossed her lips. Her own goodness and generosity to her poor sister was the never-ending theme of her discourse, or would have been, if the coroner had not cut her short. But enough of these horrid subjects. What do you think is the latest thing in automatic machines here ? In return for one perm} r we have silent vendors which will (when their internal economies are all right) send you a box of matches, a post card, a cigarstte, a pencil, a box of sweets, a drop of scent, a bad cigar, or a nots book. These we all know, but the new machine which distributes glasses of iced and distilled water in return for the nimble halfpenny we had not seen.'

My apologies for the poor transcription, a computer did it.

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post

[By Elise].

But enough of these horrid subjects. What do you think is the latest thing in automatic machines here ? In return for one perm} r we have silent vendors which will (when their internal economies are all right) send you a box of matches, a post card, a cigarstte, a pencil, a box of sweets, a drop of scent, a bad cigar, or a nots book. These we all know, but the new machine which distributes glasses of iced and distilled water in return for the nimble halfpenny we had not seen.'

My apologies for the poor transcription, a computer did it.
    Unquestionably one of the most bizarre change of subjects I've ever seen.

Unless it is a reference of sorts to items found at the murder sites.....

Creepy crawly time again.
    Managing Editor
    Casebook Wiki

Comment

Thanks Sir Robert
      I want to know who 'Tom' is?

'Tom attended the Berners-street inquest on business one day last week'.

Comment

Cutbush?

Mike
        huh?

Comment

The letter is on this site and much easier to read here: http://www.casebook.org/press_report...ws/881212.html
          huh?

Comment

But with the wrong date, eh?
            Which is ever so slightly important.

And I still want to know who Tom was.

Comment

Interesting that there are two dates here, no ?

The Casebook version is missing the non sequitor "automatic machines" part which sounds to me like a list of things found or taken from the Ripper's crime sites.

(And Elise is an anagram for Lees I. )

Te Aroha News
              New Zealand
              12 December 1888

From "A Lady's Letter from London" by Elise.

London, October 11.
              Dear Mr. Editor,
              The cold weather has set in unusually early, and we are evidently going to experience another long and bitter winter. What will happen if the Whitechapel murderer or murderers are not caught before "the sombrous season of fogs wraps London in its Cimmerian folds," I dread to think. Cold, hunger, and darkness are bad enough for the poor East End unfortunates to have to bear, without an ever haunting fear of murder and sudden death superadded. The say the byeways of Whitechapel have been quite deserted since the last crime or crimes. The miserable women who used to frequent them dare not leave the well lighted main streets. As for rescue homes and Magdalen institutions, they have filled to overflowing. The women will not stay in them long. Both patrons and clergy know that. This craven fear can overcome even the love of gin for a time, but directly it fades or the murderer is caught the miserable creatures will rebel. They are far beyond reclamation.

I am glad, nevertheless, to feel that some kindly soul means to erect temporary shelter halls in the neighbourhood of the murders, which will be open to women only, and where a fire and tables and benches, with, in extreme cases, bread and water, will be provided. The plan sounds at once sensible and philanthropic. As a rule, what are known as "Doss House Philanthropists" make their guests a great deal too comfortable, with the result that they are imposed on by scores of sturdy beggars who otherwise would be paying for their "doss" at the rate of 4d a day, or 2s a week, in the common eating house.

Tom attended that Berners street inquest on business one day last week. He says you happy colonists can form only the vaguest idea of the sort of human beings the lowest strata of the East End are. The sister of the poor woman Stride was a gin soddened virago, and identified her mutilated relative with ghoulish relish. From first to last this woman's transparent object was to turn the catastrophe to account somehow. So obvious did the past become that the coroner doubted whether she was the deceased's sister. Others, too, were sceptical on the point. But the story she told in the main proved accurate. Not one word of honest pity for the dead woman's shocking fate crossed her lips. Her own goodness and generosity to her poor sister was the never ending theme of her discourse, or would have been, if the coroner had not cut her short.
              Last edited by Casebook Wiki Editor; 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM.
              Managing Editor
              Casebook Wiki

Comment

And would you not agree, Sir Robert, that the general tone of the lady's letter is but fuel for the fire in the belly of the beast?

Comment

And would you not agree, Sir Robert, that the general tone of the lady's letter is but fuel for the fire in the belly of the beast?
                  It's a fascinating smirky little letter, A.P. It reeks of "I know something you don't know."

You've got New Zealand, Tom and the Ripper all in one tidy missive from Hell.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking ???
                  Managing Editor
                  Casebook Wiki

Comment

AP,

Considering you have once again failed to provide any source for this different account, what precisely can be proven by the alleged "differences"? How do we know the dates are different, how do we know the content is different? Where exactly did this alleged different account come from?

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

[By Elise].

What do you think is the latest thing in automatic machines here ? In return for one penny we have silent vendors which will (when their internal economies are all right) send you a box of matches, a post card, a cigarette, a pencil, a box of sweets, a drop of scent, a bad cigar, or a note book. These we all know, but the new machine which distributes glasses of iced and distilled water in return for the nimble halfpenny we had not seen.'
                      No doubt I am reading too much into this, but 'internal economies' could be read as 'internal organs'.......
                      Managing Editor
                      Casebook Wiki

Comment

Ally
                        the full text of the full letter is available here:

A LADY'S LETTER FROM LONDON.
                        Te Aroha News, Rōrahi VI, Putanga 324, 12 Hakihea 1888, Whārangi 3

I haven't posted the original as it exceeded the band width, but perhaps someone else can manipulate the image to make it loadable, for there is much more text in the original.

Comment

Well I guess this proves one thing. When you are challenged to provide evidence for your "stories" and they actually are based in fact, you can provide evidence..... When they are based in fact. Enlightening.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	newspaper1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	656673

Click image for larger version

Name:	Newspaper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	656674

Let all Oz be agreed;
                          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

That is one heck of a bizarre letter, Ally.

What is "the Bradford trade" ? I suspect it's not about the Orioles trading Chad Bradford to the Devil Rays last year......
                            Managing Editor
                            Casebook Wiki

Comment

Working...
                            X