Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research

Off the back of a discussion I had with Jonathan Menges, I would love to know how much research ripperologists do online, versus how much research is done in libraries, archival centres etc.

So, the big question is.....

How much of your research is done online?
    less than 10%
    14.29%
    10%
    0.00%
    20%
    7.14%
    30%
    21.43%
    40%
    7.14%
    50%
    21.43%
    60%
    7.14%
    70%
    7.14%
    80%
    7.14%
    90%+
    7.14%
    Regards Mike

About 30% of my Ripper research is done online, using sites such as Ancestry, and National Archives, where information is well sourced, and referenced.
    Regards Mike

Comment

I suppose for most people it's a question of location. I use to do a lot online but I prefer myself to go to actual Archives, for one thing you can view the actual documents and two there's always the chance to find things which are not in the online catalogues. I've found a few gems while at the London Metropolitan Archives which are not mentioned online. And I should also say talking to the people that work there and ask questions is also beneficiary. Like my visits to Tower Hamlets Local History Library and the London Hospital Archives have helped me enormously by being able to speak with the people there who run these archives. But then I count myself lucky for being within easy reach of these places.

Rob

Comment

I am lucky in the sense that geographically, I do have several places I can visit, from libraries to archival centres, I also have access to several private collections which has been a major help.

I can also hop on a train and visit local town and cities in yorkshire which have their own archives, and in the past, as you will know, I have taken the train to London and visited several places there for research.
        Regards Mike

Comment

Hi,

I have to say that the internet has been a godsend for me personally as I'm housebound and really couldn't get anywhere to research anything in the normal course of things. I don't know what I'd do without the various JtR sites!

Having said that I've got a large library of material that I've collected over the years, which I use a lot, but looking up things like inquest testimony and other official documents it's often easier to use casebook as it saves me standing up and rummaging about on shelves, although I keep the Ultimate Source book next to me more or less all the time.

I suppose it really depends on what your main interest in the case is - for me it's the social history behind the case, so sites like viclondon.org are invaluable, and of course the census records and Whitechapel infirmary records online as well.

It would be lovely to go to the archives etc., and I know we all appreciate the work that's done by researchers that really bust a gut getting new material for us, but it's great that so much is online now as well.

Hugs

Jane

xxxxx
          I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

I think location plays a definite role in how much research you do online, like Rob says.
            I've been to the LMA and Tower Hamlets library (I love that place!) but these opportunities are rare so I make the most of what is available online also.

I also use my local University archives and the local library archives and recently got invited to view the archives at my local newspaper office, they didn't have much JTR wise but the archivist was an ex-policeman who had worked on the Yorkshire Ripper case so we chatted a bit about that, which was interesting.

I think there is a little snobbery about when it comes to internet research, and sometimes an actual misunderstanding of what some researchers use online. Any digitized archives are a godsend ,like the ones Jane mentioned, and some of us have access to some excellent digitized resources that aren't available to the majority, through university libraries etc.

I can't see what's wrong with sitting in your armchair reading the digitized newspapers from the British library collection, they are exactly the same papers in the library after all!...and for anyone who thinks wordsearching is all that this type of research entails then they are mistaken, this only works on a certain level, once you get more involved with a subject you have to scour the papers page by page just the same as you would while looking at microfiche etc!.

Comment

About 40 now, which is my answer but, over my life, more like 4.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
              X