New Information on Kate Ronan's murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Information on Kate Ronan's murder

It's been a mystery why Harold Hall, the man convicted for the murder of Kate Ronan, was sentenced to death in September of 1909 but was never listed as ever being executed. I was able to clear this little mystery up by contacting Richard Clark, the owner of http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org . He has a list of every criminal sentenced to death during the 20th century in England. He also has a list of all prisoners who obtained a reprieve from the death penalty. Apparently Harold Hall was imprisoned in Pentonville and WAS in fact given a reprieve from execution. Richard stated that about 50% of those who were sentenced to death in England in the 20th century were given a reprieve.

Now as soon as the prison records are opened up we can see exactly what became of Harold Hall. I still have some doubts as to his guilt. He was basically convicted on his own confession for the crime. However many of the details he confessed to police did not match up with the evidence. And there of course have been many occurrences of false confessions. That's not to say I believe the man was innocent. I would just like to see more details surrounding the case against him. I've read the transcript of his trial and various newspaper articles about the crime, but I would like to dig up more information on what happened to man before and after the trial.
    Jeff

Thanks for this, Pinkerton, and well done for tracking down what happened to him.I for one have always been interested in why he didn't appear in the list of executions.
    Good luck with any future research into the man.

Comment

Hi Pinkerton and Debs -

You might want to check out the excellent article on this subject by Nick Connell and Jon Ogan which appears in the Journal of the Whitechapel Society 1888, Edition 23, December 2008, and also Paul Daniel's letter to the editor in the Journal, Edition 24, February 2009.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Working...
      X