The Missing Documents & Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Missing Documents & Photographs

One thing that I think would be very useful to see on the Casebook (if it's not already hidden away somewhere!) is a list of the specific documents and photographs that were known to exist at one time in the past, but which have since gone missing. It could be very useful for researchers big and small - if you know what's missing, you also know what to look for and what might of value to understanding the murders.

If there's not already a list, could one begin to be compiled here for reference purposes?

Richard
    Last edited by fanoofez; 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM.

I read somewhere on the main site a while back that there was an alleged 'photo album' of stuff relating to the JtR case (I'm assuming pictures of the victims) that was destroyed and never recovered during the London Blitz, but, and no disrespect, I think it's safe to say that that was 99.9% likely a myth. I think it was said in one of the Dissertations somewhere.

Comment

Well there was a book with the supposed solution to the mystery hand written inside which was lost in the Blitz. I believe this story was related by Osbert Sitwell.

There was also a reference by Melville Macnaghten to having destroyed his files or material regarding the case.

I agree with the original poster that such a list would be useful.

Comment

Hi Richard,

There is a list of documents that have gone missing from the police files held at National Archives, and you can find details in either The Ultimate Sourcebook, by Stewart Evans, or the JTR A-Z, by Paul Begg, Martin Fido and Keith Skinner.

But I do think you have made a very interesting suggestion.

Rgds
        John

Comment

There was such a thread on the pre-meltdown message boards.
          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
          X