Queens Racehorse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queens Racehorse

I was wondering if people on the site knew that is the 1990's the Queen had a racehorse called Whitechapel.

She's usually good - ie clever - at naming her horses so I looked him up!

He was foaled in 1988, by Arctic Tern (stallion), out of Christchurch I (mare). He last ran in 1999 over the sticks, coming 2nd at Sandown in a Class 3 handicap - Sandown was the Queen Mum's favourite course.

He was a pretty good horse, winning 11 of his 53 races and being placed in 13 as well - ie 2nd or 3rd - winning c.£164,000 and still running well when he was retired - he got a nasty cut on his hock in his last race so they probalby decided to call it a day. The Queen Mum loved her horses.

In fact he was bred by the Queen and ran for her on the flat, but later in his career he went jumping and then he was running for the Queen Mother. The old Queens divided up the horses like that early on, so they were never running against each other LOL. He was always trained by Ian Balding (father of Clare) at the wonderful historic yard in Kingsclere, Berks, which I've visited

There is another Whitechapel running in South Africa, in the care of master trainer Mike De Kock. He was foaled in 2000, and he's by Fort Wood out of London Wall. He won two of his seven races, and was 2nd twice, then never ran again after two seasons (2002-04) - so he must have had problems to be so lightly raced

Comment

I was pretty sure it was Lord Huntingdon which trained whitechapel.

Comment

Working...
      X